REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #51
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,789 Times in 980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
I think MJ DeMarco said it best, "If you have to think about it, you can't afford it."

I think your friend should pick the cheapest car possible (both in terms of initial cost and in terms of maintenance). Also, I think its stupid to take out loans for cars. If you can't afford you pay cash, you can't afford it. If I was your friend I would take transit (or keep whatever he's driving now) and save up until he can pay in full.

But that's just me and I have an aversion to debt. To me, debt is just another form of slavery.
You're in highschool aren't you? maybe a BOSS buys cars in cash only, but when your investments are returning more than your interest rate, you're financially better off in 'slavery'.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 AM   #52
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
You're in highschool aren't you? maybe a BOSS buys cars in cash only, but when your investments are returning more than your interest rate, you're financially better off in 'slavery'.
LOL, if one doesn't even have a measly $30,000 or whatever to buy a car, I seriously question how much money said person has to "invest."

Clearly, many people like paying hundreds, and even thousands of dollars of interest on their debt every year. I for one prefer to be on the other side of the equation.

But hey, if you think getting into tens-of-thousands of dollars into debt to buy cars, clothes, or whatever is the formula for wealth accumulation, props to you.

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-17-2012 at 12:31 AM.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-17-2012, 12:37 AM   #53
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^

Asian mentality yo

face is more important than their lives

GG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #54
Need my Daily Fix of RS

When I first started reading this thread, I kept thinking CL550 . Huge range in vehicles until I realized it was CLK550. Still a nice car, and a big choice for your friend. I'd say go for the MB as well.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #55
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
LOL, if one doesn't even have a measly $30,000 or whatever to buy a car, I seriously question how much money said person has to "invest."

Clearly, many people like paying hundreds, and even thousands of dollars of interest on their debt every year. I for one prefer to be on the other side of the equation.

But hey, if you think getting into tens-of-thousands of dollars into debt to buy cars, clothes, or whatever is the formula for wealth accumulation, props to you.
So going by your theory, you buy houses with truckloads of cash and never go in debt because you simply have money shooting out of your ears?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
So going by your theory, you buy houses with truckloads of cash and never go in debt because you simply have money shooting out of your ears?
Houses have intrinsic value, and as long as one is prudent and does not buy during a bubble, they are a good investment (historically, on average, house prices move on par with inflation). Houses is the only thing I would ever get into debt for because very people have hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars lying around (though, I am working on it).

Pretty much everything else (re: cars) have no intrinsic value. Worse, they are money sinks.

But hey, if you guys enjoy being debtors, please go ahead. I OTOH prefer being a creditor. I like other people working for my money so I don't have to.

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2012, 09:57 AM   #57

Quote:
Houses have intrinsic value, and as long as one is prudent and does not buy during a bubble, they are a good investment (historically, on average, house prices move on par with inflation). Houses is the only thing I would ever get into debt for because very people have hundreds-of-thousands-of-dollars lying around (though, I am working on it).

Pretty much everything else (re: cars) have no intrinsic value. Worse, they are money sinks.

But hey, if you guys enjoy being debtors, please go ahead. I OTOH prefer being a creditor. I like other people working for my money so I don't have to.
Calm down pal sounds like someone is getting a bit cocky and defensive. Sounds like you're way too caught up in monetary aspects of life and think you're better off because of it. When you're on the verge of death and realize living a life based on financially driven decisions isn't what's truly satisfying you won't be laughing.
Posted via RS Mobile
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSXBoii View Post
Calm down pal sounds like someone is getting a bit cocky and defensive. Sounds like you're way too caught up in monetary aspects of life and think you're better off because of it. When you're on the verge of death and realize living a life based on financially driven decisions isn't what's truly satisfying you won't be laughing.
Posted via RS Mobile
And living with an albatross around your neck (re: debt) is your image of of the good life?

Like I said before, if you think your car/clothes/etc. is worth being a debtor, then please, go for it!

There are two kinds of people in this world, debtors and creditors, we need both.

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 02-18-2012 at 10:16 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #59
J89
RS controls my life!

Like a boss is halarious LOL

hustler mentality, just don't get lost in the game sonnnn lol.
J89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:48 AM   #60
RS controls my life!

Isn't this a car forum? Can't you just focus on the question asked by OP without going all defensive about why people buy a car without investing in a condo/house first?

If everyone only bought cars in cash there would be a lot less newer cars on the road.

For what its worth I prefer living within my means too. But to each their own.

Out of the three choices I'd go with the Acura. Economical without the potential like a MB to throw a few thousand dollars of repair bills down the road.
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #61
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Quote:
You have a lot to learn about investing, because the approach you are advocating is not financially beneficial.

It's a simple concept to understand.

Keeping the thread on topic, I would purchase the Acura.
I'm an advocate of owning a vehicle equivalent to a relatively low percentage of annual income.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
Isn't this a car forum? Can't you just focus on the question asked by OP without going all defensive about why people buy a car without investing in a condo/house first?

If everyone only bought cars in cash there would be a lot less newer cars on the road.

For what its worth I prefer living within my means too. But to each their own.

Out of the three choices I'd go with the Acura. Economical without the potential like a MB to throw a few thousand dollars of repair bills down the road.
I agree in that the Acura is the only one that blends all aspects that might be appealing including but not limited to style, moderate performance and reliability. But i think this question comes down to how drastically a couple hefty repair bills will impact the person's life? You only live once so I'd go with the MB just based on the fact it'd provide that little bit of excitement everyday that the other two can't. If a couple of big bills hinder you from going out for dinner once or twice then go for the MB but if they'll cause you to lose sleep at night I'd shoot for the Acura.
Posted via RS Mobile
RSXBoii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #63
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Wow, this thread went to shits....
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #64
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
I'd get the TSX. In fact, I would get the first generation TSX and save a few more thousand bucks - the first generation isn't much worse than the second generation and you can still find low mileage versions of them floating around.

While your friend doesn't have many financial obligations right now there's no telling when he will have those so it never hurts to be financially conservative with car buying - just the interest can be a killer over time. I think it's okay to stretch when you're buying a home but it's never okay to stretch when buying a car.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:16 PM   #65
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,458 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ The first-gen TSX is essentially a Euro Accord, so it's probably the closest thing the guy will get to a Euro with Honda reliability. Resale values on the first-gen are very high and they will likely remain so for the next 5-7 years (particularly if he opts for a manual.) The current gen is a car designed for the typical North American who values size, ride comfort, and gadgets above the driving experience.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #66
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
^ The first-gen TSX is essentially a Euro Accord, so it's probably the closest thing the guy will get to a Euro with Honda reliability. Resale values on the first-gen are very high and they will likely remain so for the next 5-7 years (particularly if he opts for a manual.) The current gen is a car designed for the typical North American who values size, ride comfort, and gadgets above the driving experience.
Posted via RS Mobile
Both generations of TSXs are just Euro-Accords.

Honda Accord - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
The updated Honda Accord for the Japanese and European markets went on sale in mid-2008. It is also sold as the Accord Euro in the Australia and New Zealand markets, and as the Acura TSX in North America.
Having driven both and being an owner of a 1G, I'd say the 2G is the nicer car by a bit but resale prices on them are a lot higher right now than the 1G (the pricing gap between a 1G 2008 and a 2G 2009 is pretty big considering the small difference in features).

Last edited by supafamous; 02-20-2012 at 12:59 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #67
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
get the tsx!
save money on maintenance, gas, and insurance while u drive a nice car
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:21 PM   #68

Hey I couldn't read the entire thread cause it was too long, but I can say that the TSX is a good balance of sport and luxury. Here are some common issues with my 09 TSX though that might help with your decision. Aside from these main issues, it really is a pretty easy car to maintain. Also, you can get your services done at Honda and it will be a bit cheaper and you will get great service since you are an Acura driver going to THEIR honda dealership.

-Brakes squeal like a dying animal, there was a service bulletin out for it though so you can warranty it if it is still covered.
-If it is equipped with the tech package, the speakers are known to blow out. This is common in both the tsx and the new 4th gen TL's with the tech package.
-Engine knocking. I have not experienced this myself but many members of the TSX forum have. There is also a service bulletin out for this as well.

If it is an 2009 TSX thought your looking at, these issues have probably already been taken care of.

Anyways, Here are some pics of my TSX to maybe help convince you

ttk5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #69

Do you really think Honda employees care that you drive a entry level Acura?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #70
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Do you really think Honda employees care that you drive a entry level Acura?

Why don't you just keep out of this thread?
Unlike others who are trying to help you just keep going off topic.

Unlike some who shall present and loudly proclaim "Have at it master!"
joquio is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #71
Banned By Establishment

Who cross shops a Mercedes with a Mazda o.O

Last edited by Ronith; 02-21-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #72
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 2,093 Times in 452 Posts
I cross shopped a Matrix, Fit and an STI
belaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #73
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by belaud View Post
I cross shopped a Matrix, Fit and an STI
lol

I remember on another forum, someone cross shopping a '11 Lincoln Town Car, '10 Cobalt SS, '11 Ford SVT Raptor, Ducati MONSTER 696 and a used 2006ish Viper.

Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote