REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 02-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Gender preferenced jobs

So there are certainly many jobs out there that are gender preferenced: waitresses, hostesses, sometimes sales associates, etc. However, what do you guys think about jobs such as physiotherapy? There is definetly a lot of close contact between clients and the physio, which (now im totally being hypothetical right now) could lead people to gravitate towards female physiotherapists. As a guy trying to go into physio, this has been a question that ive been pondering on for awhile. For those of you who go to physios, how do you base your preference for one physio over another? And this isnt only limited to gender aspects, would you choose a physio because he looks more healthier/athletic, is strong enough to hold you up?

Besides on-job expertise and personality, do you think other aspects could come into play when clients pick and choose between different physios?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,669 Times in 147 Posts
you forgot the bubble tea places at metro
sindragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

i always looked at credentials and not gender. however, i randomly went to a physio centre and a female physio who seemed fairly new helped me with my knee. she was great and i always went back to see her. i don't think gender matters in terms of physio. if it was something else like a massage, i can't have a guy massage me because it feels a bit homo. not being offensive, but that's just my preference.
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by yameen View Post
i always looked at credentials and not gender. however, i randomly went to a physio centre and a female physio who seemed fairly new helped me with my knee. she was great and i always went back to see her. i don't think gender matters in terms of physio. if it was something else like a massage, i can't have a guy massage me because it feels a bit homo. not being offensive, but that's just my preference.
define "great". Is it the great as in the "she's hot" great, or the "she's pro at her job" great?

Unlike other medical professions, it seems as if physiotherapy is a bit skewered from other ones such as dentists, physicians, opticians, etc.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I don't really care as long as the physio knows what they're doing... it doesn't matter how hot she is if she's not helping my injury or recovery...

I would consider a restaurant for food first, as opposed to hotness of waitresses. I'd gladly take a male waiter at a restaurant with amazing food as opposed to a hot waitress and mediocre food.

The only profession where gender actually matters moreso than the level of service/product being offered would probably be limited to hookers. If you're a guy good at what you do, it won't matter.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
it won't matter
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I've spent thousands of hours in physio.

I have no preference towards a male or female, the other patients who I spoke with at the clinic also had no preference.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Along the same lines..

...Then would their physical appearance matter, whether it'd be a male or female?

ie: you wouldnt be going to the gym and having an obese trainer train you, right?

So, does it matter if you had a physically appealing physio work on you, or a slightly larger physio with a gut, assuming they both had the same credentials and work experience?
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
Treasure Chest MOD

^so if you put it that way, what if there are both a guy and a girl physio that are of equal skill/competence in physiotherapy, but you had to choose one?

As for physios with guts, i've seen some physios around that have the gut going..

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:26 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Coming from a guy, i'd choose the girl.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-revs View Post
Coming from a guy, i'd choose the girl.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
^so if you put it that way, what if there are both a guy and a girl physio that are of equal skill/competence in physiotherapy, but you had to choose one?

As for physios with guts, i've seen some physios around that have the gut going..
If I had a choice between a male and female physio with completely equal skill, I would base it on the person whose personality meshed best with my own.

I was in physio five days a week for two years and less frequently for my entire life, I've actually had this exact discussion with a group of male patients before.

The general tone of the conversation was... (not real names)
- Jen has the most amazing ass I've ever seen, after she's done working my back I need a few minutes before I can stand up. Best part of my day.
- John doesn't get me hard, I don't feel any sense of awkwardness when I work with him, so that's who I prefer.
- I don't have a preference.
- Jen's is very sensitive to my pain, so I like going with her.
- John is tough and straight to business, I like having him represent me to my claim manager.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
If I had a choice between a male and female physio with completely equal skill, I would base it on the person whose personality meshed best with my own.

I was in physio five days a week for two years and less frequently for my entire life, I've actually had this exact discussion with a group of male patients before.

The general tone of the conversation was... (not real names)
- Jen has the most amazing ass I've ever seen, after she's done working my back I need a few minutes before I can stand up. Best part of my day.- John doesn't get me hard, I don't feel any sense of awkwardness when I work with him, so that's who I prefer.
- I don't have a preference.
- Jen's is very sensitive to my pain, so I like going with her.
- John is tough and straight to business, I like having him represent me to my claim manager.
how often do you get this? the first commentary?

also, to your point about meshing with your personality, do you mean physios that are outgoing and socialize with you? Or is it the type that knows what's best for you and your pain and knows what you like/don't like in terms of treatment?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
how often do you get this? the first commentary?

also, to your point about meshing with your personality, do you mean physios that are outgoing and socialize with you? Or is it the type that knows what's best for you and your pain and knows what you like/don't like in terms of treatment?
I didn't engage in the commentary about the one physio's physical features personally, but usually when a new male patient would begin there would be a couple comments among the other males. I recall overhearing comments relatively often.

I haven't socialized with any physio's outside of the clinic, but at least in my experience, more so than my relationship with any other health care provider, a certain social rapport exists between a patient and physio. A person who is injured enough to be prevented from working you'll be seeing three-four hours a week at the minimum, possibly for several months or years. The conversations with all my physio's have strayed outside of strictly medical, to discussing how are weekends were and such. In that sense, it's important to be able to have some level of a conversation. There was one older, very rough around the edges farmer, being treated my clinic who was working with a younger Asian male physio. There was noticeable tension between the two, the relationship appeared more than a bit abrasive from my perspective (it was a bit funny to watch). The old farmer got better, but I don't think either of them were ever relaxed. It's important to keep in mind, being injured stuck at home is very mentally taxing from the perspective of boredom and lack of social interaction, physio does to an extent help to fill that gap for some people.

The second part, also true. My physios have always been very receptive to my pain and understand what alleviates it, that helps a lot. If I had to remind my physio what hurt every time and what specifically helps, I would be annoyed.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
You won't get much out of this based on such a small sample. I would say I rather have a girl who's average and can do the right job than a guy who's super experienced and does an exceptional job.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #16
Wanna have a threesome?

No seriously injured person, which the majority of physio patients are, would choose a lesser skilled person to treat them because she has tits.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
No seriously injured person, which the majority of physio patients are, would choose a lesser skilled person to treat them because she has tits.
And I know you're speaking from an unbiased point of view because I know you love tits.

Also, mindbomber, would you say that this also applies with other medical fields such as dentists, physicians, etc?

This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #18
RS controls my life!

I think for physio it doesn't matter. I feel that guys have more of an advantage in the field as men are naturally stronger and can exude more or less pressure more easily than women.
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
---|||---|||---
----\\\-///----
-----\\///-----
------///\-----
-----///\\\----
----///--\\\---
xmisstrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Don't think it really matters but some jobs (such as truck drivers, garbage man, construction workers) they tend to hire male and certain jobs tend to hire females.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote