REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Open a Auto repair Shop in BC

I don't find anywhere on the internet if you need a licensed mechanic to run an Auto repair Shop in BC.

Is it legal to work on cars without a mechnanic license?

I'm planning to open my own tuner shop in Vancouver.
Advertisement
Cdn EK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I don't know about the legalities of not being a licensed mechanic but you'll be severely limiting your clientele if you don't have one on staff. I certainly know I would never go to one...
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I would pay to see your business plan, although I doubt you have one, the laugh would be worth a few dollars.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn EK9 View Post
I don't find anywhere on the internet if you need a licensed mechanic to run an Auto repair Shop in BC.

Is it legal to work on cars without a mechnanic license?

I'm planning to open my own tuner shop in Vancouver.
isn't garage 5 unlicensed mechs?
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

U need a license to have the business license that u need to renew every year?
I think
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
retired

Please remember to have someone who is proficient at English edit your business plan if you make it that far.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
You don't NEED a licensed mech to run a shop, but you may need to to INSURE the shop. And you don't want to run a shop without insurance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Please don't.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I don't think anyone is going to stop you from opening a tuner shop without a mechanic's license.

HOWEVER...when your repairs and installs grenade a few engines, and Olsen on Your Side is in the remains of your shop, he's definitely going to notice.

You don't know enough to do what you want to do.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:12 AM   #10
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
Anyone can open a shop and work on cars. You don't need to be licensed. However, if something goes wrong you could find yourself in serious trouble (for example, someone at your shop makes a mistake repairing a car and their mistake causes an accident).

As to whether or not people will come to your shop - there are plenty of cheap bastards in The Lower Mainland that don't care if a shop is licensed as long as you're cheap.

For insurance, you will not be able to get proper insurance without a licensed technician. It doesn't mean you can't get insured, just that you can't get coverage for every possible scenario (and you'll probably pay way more anyway).

Insurance is a moot point and this has been discussed on RS before. Most shops (even those with a licensed tech) don't have proper insurance. Last shop I worked at spent $1,500 per month for insurance and had 4 techs (2 fully licensed, 2 apprentices). How many shops would choose to pay $1,500 a month for insurance when they could spend that much and hire some flunky to do basic mechanical repairs and earn the shop some income? Hell, $1,500 would probably cover a major chunk of your monthly rent for a commerical space to run a small shop from.

Several years ago this was discussed (I tried finding the thread - it doesn't exist anymore). I put out a challenge to the independent shops/tuning shops to tell us how much their monthly insurance costs where and what they had coverage for and not one bothered, which tells you something right there. This was in response to someone on RS having an incident at a shop and the shop refusing to cover it. I'd be surprised that things are any different today.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #11
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Thanks for all comments.

From my family experience, insurance is a must in any business.

I want to start up my own business. So many things I know how to do, but finding answers to do it properly on Government website is no fun.
Cdn EK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn EK9 View Post
Thanks for all comments.

From my family experience, insurance is a must in any business.

I want to start up my own business. So many things I know how to do, but finding answers to do it properly on Government website is no fun.
It might not be fun, but it's something you need to do. Your other option is to hire a lawyer to deal with all the technical and legal stuff and then have him "dumb it down" into a powerpoint presentation.

Asking Revscene for answers is all well and good if you're simply toying with the notion of opening up a shop. However, if you're truly serious about it, you will have to deal with all the government websites in order to get the proper answers you need.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #13
RS.net Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dangonay View Post
Anyone can open a shop and work on cars. You don't need to be licensed. However, if something goes wrong you could find yourself in serious trouble (for example, someone at your shop makes a mistake repairing a car and their mistake causes an accident).

As to whether or not people will come to your shop - there are plenty of cheap bastards in The Lower Mainland that don't care if a shop is licensed as long as you're cheap.

For insurance, you will not be able to get proper insurance without a licensed technician. It doesn't mean you can't get insured, just that you can't get coverage for every possible scenario (and you'll probably pay way more anyway).

Insurance is a moot point and this has been discussed on RS before. Most shops (even those with a licensed tech) don't have proper insurance. Last shop I worked at spent $1,500 per month for insurance and had 4 techs (2 fully licensed, 2 apprentices). How many shops would choose to pay $1,500 a month for insurance when they could spend that much and hire some flunky to do basic mechanical repairs and earn the shop some income? Hell, $1,500 would probably cover a major chunk of your monthly rent for a commerical space to run a small shop from.

Several years ago this was discussed (I tried finding the thread - it doesn't exist anymore). I put out a challenge to the independent shops/tuning shops to tell us how much their monthly insurance costs where and what they had coverage for and not one bothered, which tells you something right there. This was in response to someone on RS having an incident at a shop and the shop refusing to cover it. I'd be surprised that things are any different today.
We pay 6k a year and that is only our commercial policy, add another 1500 for our ICBC shop policy which does not include a repair plate. We have 3 Red Seal certified AST and no apprentices. Our shop has only two hoists and we are covered for 500k in cars at any given time. We were told by our insurance underwriters that we were the first shop they had ever insured with a "high performance category" risks in our policy
Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 AM   #14
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
^ The ex CEO of ICBC was a customer of ours and we used to talk about stuff like this all the time. I remember him saying there is a "large discrepancy" between the number of shops and those with adequate insurance. Another thing I remember (off topic) was that almost 50% of ICBC's expenses (payouts) were to whiplash victims, which is another way of saying 50% of your premiums go to scammers who think they won the lottery if they get rear-ended.

We obviously agree that insurance is a significant expense, and I think you'd agree that many shops (especially smaller shops) don't buy adequate insurance.
Posted via RS Mobile
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote