REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Run Flat Tires Install Shop Recommendations?

Does anyone know of any shops that will sell and also change a run flat tire (besides the dealership)?

the tire is from factory, size is 18" off of a 335i
Advertisement
Ruff Ryd@s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #2

most higher end tire shops are equipped to deal with run flats...

kal tire, volco, ok tire... just make sure they're a reputable place, incase they damage something...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,930 Times in 1,197 Posts
I can make a recommendation regarding run-flats... take them off. While a lot of modern cars don't come with spare tires, most of them come with roadside assistance or you have BCAA, etc. Not only are standard tires WAY cheaper, but they also drive much better since the sidewalls aren't nearly as painfully stiff. We replace all Bridgestone runflats on our BMWs with comparable Bridgestone standard tires.

Mark
Old 02-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
I can make a recommendation regarding run-flats... take them off. While a lot of modern cars don't come with spare tires, most of them come with roadside assistance or you have BCAA, etc. Not only are standard tires WAY cheaper, but they also drive much better since the sidewalls aren't nearly as painfully stiff. We replace all Bridgestone runflats on our BMWs with comparable Bridgestone standard tires.

Mark
i've heard about how regular tires are preferred over run flats as well..but my situation is that i have a single tire that is constantly losing air (needs to be pumped every ~2 days), but i have maybe 50-60% tread left on all 4 tires..

do you work at a shop? Also are run flats repairable? I couldnt SEE any damages to the tire, so i cant be sure what the problem is yet
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Old School RS

I work at a car dealership where we sell a lot of late model BMW/Audi product. I'm not really sure about repairing runflats, I'd think if it was just on the tread, it should be fine, but a tire shop would know for sure.

Mark
Old 02-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #6

run flats are repairable, provided the tire is removed from the rim, and the inside inspected... if the puncture is on the tread, then a conventional mushroom patch can be used from the INSIDE...

usually, run flat tire repairs are $50+
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
We replace all Bridgestone runflats on our BMWs with comparable Bridgestone standard tires.

Mark
What you do with the RFT's then? Do you sell it back out?
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #8
Old School RS

Sorry, I misspoke. What I meant to say was when tires need replacing, we replace them with non-RFTs. We don't replace every tire on every car, just ones that should have new tires.

Mark
Old 02-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

I've heard the dealers don't touch runflat tires for repairs, and is also the reason why you'll see lots of them brought into smaller tire shops (from my service manager at canadian tire). On a conventional tire machine, its a lot harder to put on/take off run flats, especially when a TPMS sensor is involved. Make sure wherever you bring it is properly equipped to work with run flat tires.
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post
I've heard the dealers don't touch runflat tires for repairs, and is also the reason why you'll see lots of them brought into smaller tire shops (from my service manager at canadian tire). On a conventional tire machine, its a lot harder to put on/take off run flats, especially when a TPMS sensor is involved. Make sure wherever you bring it is properly equipped to work with run flat tires.
the reason dealers dont touch run flats is because
a) its painfully hard to dismount and mount
b) tell customers run flats arent repairable so they make the customers buy new tires from them at an insanely marked up price
c) profit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
The one good thing about RFT's is that at the very least it won't leave you completely stranded if you don't have roadside assistance, especially when assholes do this:

Yes, some jackass hammered NAILS into this RFT. I had the pleasure of replacing the tire (Vehicle was a new Toyota Sienna, and was covered under extended warranty). They are a pain to dismount and mount, and cost 2-3 times as much as a standard tire, but at least you can limp your vehicle to a shop to have it replaced. Personally, I'd go with the regular tire for cost-effectiveness, and in the event requires a repair, it's possible.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,263 Times in 300 Posts
^If I was going to try and ruin someones day, I don't think I would hit the nails down the sidewall. I would hit them straight in the sidewall, that looks like they just ran over a strip of nails and the clips came off..
Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77civic1200 View Post
^If I was going to try and ruin someones day, I don't think I would hit the nails down the sidewall. I would hit them straight in the sidewall, that looks like they just ran over a strip of nails and the clips came off..
Who knows, I wrote it off as vandalism. Nail placement looked a bit too random to be a strip of nails.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #14

anyone know the price range i should expect for getting 1 tire repaired/replaced at a reputable shop that can handle installing RF tires?

looking for a shop that you guys or soemone you know has actually had run flats installed/repaired/replaced there before.. not just "try ____ shop, they might do it"

really dont want to go thru dealership if i dont have to
Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #15
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
if they have a hunter or a corghi machine, it should be able to handle run flats. having stiffer sidewalls, they just need a machine that has more torque and stronger hook.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:01 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryd@s View Post
anyone know the price range i should expect for getting 1 tire repaired/replaced at a reputable shop that can handle installing RF tires?

looking for a shop that you guys or soemone you know has actually had run flats installed/repaired/replaced there before.. not just "try ____ shop, they might do it"

really dont want to go thru dealership if i dont have to
Go to any Kal Tire and they will repair your runflat at the lowest price .. I guarantee it (as long as the tire is repairable that is).
redlineintegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #17
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
or costco, on average, anywhere from 25-80 per tire. repair part is minimal if repairable. its more of the mounting and balancing part that is taking the chunk of the cost

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote