REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Anyone know how to fix a washer? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663605-anyone-know-how-fix-washer.html)

SupraTTturbo2jz 02-23-2012 11:27 PM

Anyone know how to fix a washer?

my washer will go through the whole cycle fine but it will not spin anymore..i am about to spend 1k on a new washer tomorrow unless someone has this experience before and knows why my washer is not spinning!. All it is doing is making a rumbling sound when i press the spin button! thanks in advance

Manic! 02-24-2012 12:32 AM

Why not call appliance tech? It would be way cheaper than getting a new washer.

SpuGen 02-24-2012 04:44 AM

Dish washer or Clothes?

Either way. How old is it?

If it's rumbling, then the motor is fine. It's probably just not catching the gears. Unless you want to take it apart yourself and fix it, I would call an appliance tech.
It's not like a Hot Water Tank, where it's easy to take apart. Washers have way more parts than you could imagine, and you need quite a bit of working space.

If it's older than 10 years, I would just replace it.

taylor192 02-24-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 7807767)
It's not like a Hot Water Tank, where it's easy to take apart. Washers have way more parts than you could imagine, and you need quite a bit of working space.

If it's older than 10 years, I would just replace it.

Washers are incredibly simple devices, he might as well take a first shot at taking it apart. Worst case a tech is coming by and would take it apart anyways, or it'll be recycled in which case who cares if it is in pieces.

This sounds like a weird issue. Does the drum move back/forth in the wash cycle? yet doesn't spin in the spin cycle? Or does the drum not move at all? Open the back and inspect the motor, belt, and drum with it running, see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.

If it's moving back/forth yet won't spin I'm betting its the bearings, in which case you might as well buy a new washer.

BaBiE_Bee 02-24-2012 10:48 AM

Can you manually try to do a spin cycle? Could it be possible you had too much clothes in it?

UFO 02-24-2012 02:04 PM

I'm going to assume clothes washing machine. We fixed our old washer that was not spinning but making operational noises. It was about 10 years old at the time.

It was the coupler that busted. Basically 2 small pieces of plastic that fit into each other so the drum spins, the pieces of plastic had 3 (I think) pins that slot into the holes of the other piece. The plastic pins sheared off so when they engage the drum doesn't end up spinning.

The part was like $10-20, and took us a couple hours to fix since it was our first time opening up the washing machine. They aren't THAT complicated once you open it up. We found the old busted plastic bits lying around and just sourced around to see where they came from.

SupraTTturbo2jz 02-24-2012 02:40 PM

thanks for the replies. I just tested my washing machine again and i set it to regular wash cycle. Everything is fine except when it starts to sping to drain the water out, I start to smell a burning odour, sort of like an extinguished candle but non-scented. I unplugged it because not sure if it is actually something preventing it from spinning which is causing the burning smell..ill have to wait for a sunny day to open it up i guess. Meanwhile ill just have to wash my stuff at laundromat or the gfs place.

PJ 02-24-2012 02:54 PM

Sounds like something might be causing some sort of resistance against the motor.. hence the burning?
Is it spinning at all?
Imagine holding onto a fan blade when you turn on a fan and not letting it spin, or forcing it to slow down.. that might be a similar case.

Like others said, washers aren't very complicated machines.. water inlet, water outlet, and a motor to spin.

Berzerker 02-24-2012 02:57 PM

When my washer breaks down....

Spoiler!

Berz out.

Manic! 02-24-2012 03:24 PM

Could be a loose or broken belt. Had that happen to one of our machines.

Great68 02-24-2012 03:49 PM

The transmission/clutch mechanism is what will control the motor in agitate mode or spin cycle mode. I'm willing to bet that's what is fucked up and not engaging spin mode. Explains the burning smell if something inside is the housing broken.

If it was a loose/broken belt or motor problem normal agitate mode would not work at all either.

http://k0lee.com/blog/uploaded_image...76a-724608.JPG

!SG 02-24-2012 09:05 PM

my washer died about a month ago, if u can manage to flip it over, it may be just the belt and pulley fell or broke off.

Eff-1 02-25-2012 10:58 AM

If you end up getting a new one, here's what you can do with the old one.

Sorry I could not find a clip of this in English. But you get the idea. lol

carisear 02-25-2012 01:49 PM

+1 on coupler. that seems to be the weak link on mine, and my parents washing machines. repaired it myself. took about an hour to go to the store, look up a tutorial guide on youtube, and fix it.

if you aren't very handy though, or want a new washing machine, go for it. new washing machines are sooooooo nice.

B!tch 02-25-2012 02:30 PM

I have used this company in the past for appliance repairs. (plus they have some helpful hints on their website)

Totem Appliance Branch Service

Matlock 02-25-2012 02:37 PM

A bit off topic (off topic forums anywho), but I immediately thought of this.

BlackZRoadster 02-25-2012 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7808262)
thanks for the replies. I just tested my washing machine again and i set it to regular wash cycle. Everything is fine except when it starts to sping to drain the water out, I start to smell a burning odour, sort of like an extinguished candle but non-scented. I unplugged it because not sure if it is actually something preventing it from spinning which is causing the burning smell..ill have to wait for a sunny day to open it up i guess. Meanwhile ill just have to wash my stuff at laundromat or the gfs place.

I love how you described it as an extinguished candle smell and added the non-scented part lol
Posted via RS Mobile

corollagtSr5 02-26-2012 07:22 PM

daytona675 02-27-2012 05:58 PM

i am a tech, msg me with brand, model, front load/top load machine you have. whats the age?

if you got a whirlpool/kenmore 110 topload unit, most likely clutch assembly/tranmission is worn/failing, but thats a worse case scenario with an older unit.

With the motor coupler broken, your machine will not agitate or spin. so you must check if it agitates with the lid switch closed.

achiam 02-27-2012 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7808262)

Hey dude! My dad repaired the old family Maytag direct drive several months ago and it had the same problem of a slight burning smell. Initially we thought it was the belt going, but he found out that the gear case lube had run dry. We spiked a hole in the bearing case, injected $5 grease, and voila -- its good as new again!

unit 02-27-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eff-1 (Post 7809111)
If you end up getting a new one, here's what you can do with the old one.

Sorry I could not find a clip of this in English. But you get the idea. lol

Die Simpsons - Waschmaschine vs Trockner - YouTube

stupid dryer!!!!

SupraTTturbo2jz 02-28-2012 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster (Post 7809303)
I love how you described it as an extinguished candle smell and added the non-scented part lol
Posted via RS Mobile

i meant those non scented candles with that odd smell lol. duno how to describe