REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

Anyone know how to fix a washer?

my washer will go through the whole cycle fine but it will not spin anymore..i am about to spend 1k on a new washer tomorrow unless someone has this experience before and knows why my washer is not spinning!. All it is doing is making a rumbling sound when i press the spin button! thanks in advance
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Why not call appliance tech? It would be way cheaper than getting a new washer.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:44 AM   #3
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Dish washer or Clothes?

Either way. How old is it?

If it's rumbling, then the motor is fine. It's probably just not catching the gears. Unless you want to take it apart yourself and fix it, I would call an appliance tech.
It's not like a Hot Water Tank, where it's easy to take apart. Washers have way more parts than you could imagine, and you need quite a bit of working space.

If it's older than 10 years, I would just replace it.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
It's not like a Hot Water Tank, where it's easy to take apart. Washers have way more parts than you could imagine, and you need quite a bit of working space.

If it's older than 10 years, I would just replace it.
Washers are incredibly simple devices, he might as well take a first shot at taking it apart. Worst case a tech is coming by and would take it apart anyways, or it'll be recycled in which case who cares if it is in pieces.

This sounds like a weird issue. Does the drum move back/forth in the wash cycle? yet doesn't spin in the spin cycle? Or does the drum not move at all? Open the back and inspect the motor, belt, and drum with it running, see if you can determine where the noise is coming from.

If it's moving back/forth yet won't spin I'm betting its the bearings, in which case you might as well buy a new washer.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #5
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Can you manually try to do a spin cycle? Could it be possible you had too much clothes in it?
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm going to assume clothes washing machine. We fixed our old washer that was not spinning but making operational noises. It was about 10 years old at the time.

It was the coupler that busted. Basically 2 small pieces of plastic that fit into each other so the drum spins, the pieces of plastic had 3 (I think) pins that slot into the holes of the other piece. The plastic pins sheared off so when they engage the drum doesn't end up spinning.

The part was like $10-20, and took us a couple hours to fix since it was our first time opening up the washing machine. They aren't THAT complicated once you open it up. We found the old busted plastic bits lying around and just sourced around to see where they came from.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

thanks for the replies. I just tested my washing machine again and i set it to regular wash cycle. Everything is fine except when it starts to sping to drain the water out, I start to smell a burning odour, sort of like an extinguished candle but non-scented. I unplugged it because not sure if it is actually something preventing it from spinning which is causing the burning smell..ill have to wait for a sunny day to open it up i guess. Meanwhile ill just have to wash my stuff at laundromat or the gfs place.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Sounds like something might be causing some sort of resistance against the motor.. hence the burning?
Is it spinning at all?
Imagine holding onto a fan blade when you turn on a fan and not letting it spin, or forcing it to slow down.. that might be a similar case.

Like others said, washers aren't very complicated machines.. water inlet, water outlet, and a motor to spin.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
When my washer breaks down....

Spoiler!

Berz out.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Could be a loose or broken belt. Had that happen to one of our machines.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,762 Posts
The transmission/clutch mechanism is what will control the motor in agitate mode or spin cycle mode. I'm willing to bet that's what is fucked up and not engaging spin mode. Explains the burning smell if something inside is the housing broken.

If it was a loose/broken belt or motor problem normal agitate mode would not work at all either.

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 02-24-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:05 PM   #12
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
my washer died about a month ago, if u can manage to flip it over, it may be just the belt and pulley fell or broke off.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
private modder

Thanked 2,650 Times in 740 Posts
If you end up getting a new one, here's what you can do with the old one.

Sorry I could not find a clip of this in English. But you get the idea. lol

Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #14
HELP ME PLS!!!

+1 on coupler. that seems to be the weak link on mine, and my parents washing machines. repaired it myself. took about an hour to go to the store, look up a tutorial guide on youtube, and fix it.

if you aren't very handy though, or want a new washing machine, go for it. new washing machines are sooooooo nice.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #15
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I have used this company in the past for appliance repairs. (plus they have some helpful hints on their website)

Totem Appliance Branch Service
B!tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
A bit off topic (off topic forums anywho), but I immediately thought of this.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #17
Hyde's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
thanks for the replies. I just tested my washing machine again and i set it to regular wash cycle. Everything is fine except when it starts to sping to drain the water out, I start to smell a burning odour, sort of like an extinguished candle but non-scented. I unplugged it because not sure if it is actually something preventing it from spinning which is causing the burning smell..ill have to wait for a sunny day to open it up i guess. Meanwhile ill just have to wash my stuff at laundromat or the gfs place.
I love how you described it as an extinguished candle smell and added the non-scented part lol
Posted via RS Mobile
BlackZRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,090 Times in 318 Posts
corollagtSr5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #19
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

i am a tech, msg me with brand, model, front load/top load machine you have. whats the age?

if you got a whirlpool/kenmore 110 topload unit, most likely clutch assembly/tranmission is worn/failing, but thats a worse case scenario with an older unit.

With the motor coupler broken, your machine will not agitate or spin. so you must check if it agitates with the lid switch closed.
daytona675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #20
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
Hey dude! My dad repaired the old family Maytag direct drive several months ago and it had the same problem of a slight burning smell. Initially we thought it was the belt going, but he found out that the gear case lube had run dry. We spiked a hole in the bearing case, injected $5 grease, and voila -- its good as new again!
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #21
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
If you end up getting a new one, here's what you can do with the old one.

Sorry I could not find a clip of this in English. But you get the idea. lol

Die Simpsons - Waschmaschine vs Trockner - YouTube
stupid dryer!!!!
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #22
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
I love how you described it as an extinguished candle smell and added the non-scented part lol
Posted via RS Mobile
i meant those non scented candles with that odd smell lol. duno how to describe