REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Top Gear USA (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663712-top-gear-usa.html)

Ronith 02-25-2012 11:40 PM

Top Gear USA

Hopefully this isn't a repost....D:

Anyone watch it?

All I can say is: BBC Top Gear > American Top Gear

Datsun 02-25-2012 11:52 PM

I watch it! (and enjoy it too)

bloodmack 02-26-2012 12:27 AM

IDK, this season of American TG has been just as good if not better then the current UK season.

nns 02-26-2012 09:12 AM

I hate Rutledge.

k3mps 02-26-2012 06:00 PM

american TG has gotten better and better lately

Paradise240 02-26-2012 06:21 PM

I watch TG USA, and I do quite enjoy it. The challenges are good fun to watch

ae101 02-26-2012 07:24 PM

did hk2000 make a thread like this long time ago, & i did really keep up with tg usa after the 1st season so i didn't know it was still on (what season are they at right now)

Datsun 02-26-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nns (Post 7809976)
I hate Rutledge.

Rut is my fave though :mamoru::okay:

He answers fan mail (wall posts) and works on interesting cars...

ilvtofu 02-26-2012 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donut (Post 7810718)
Rut is my fave though :mamoru::okay:

He answers fan mail (wall posts) and works on interesting cars...

He says some pretty stupid things about cars on the show that sometimes leaves me with a Fry: Not sure if serious expression, but at least he has a personality.

Tanner is still a very dull character but his talent behind the wheel can't be ignored.

Adam is just annoying when he says ignorant/arrogant shit on the show.

Overall I still enjoy the show and the challenges, just wish the hosts spoke with a bit more intelligence... On the other hand speed channel's car show isn't very good, and that is coming from a HUGE Carolla fan, his quick wit, driving talent, mechanical expertise and car knowledge would've been a great fit on Top Gear USA.

Datsun 02-26-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilvtofu (Post 7810769)
He says some pretty stupid things about cars on the show that sometimes leaves me with a Fry: Not sure if serious expression, but at least he has a personality.

Tanner is still a very dull character but his talent behind the wheel can't be ignored.

Adam is just annoying when he says ignorant/arrogant shit on the show.

Overall I still enjoy the show and the challenges, just wish the hosts spoke with a bit more intelligence... On the other hand speed channel's car show isn't very good, and that is coming from a HUGE Carolla fan, his quick wit, driving talent, mechanical expertise and car knowledge would've been a great fit on Top Gear USA.

I think the reason they have some awkward scenes is because of the script they have to follow. Same reason how Hammond and May are actually hilarious/witty in real life instead of making really forced jokes during the news. Anyway I'm still optimistic about the show and have faith in its improvement as the episodes and seasons go on.

But with Adam the script doesnt make a difference. I wonder if he even likes cars. :lol

Lomac 02-26-2012 10:48 PM

I actually don't mind TG:USA. It's on a different level compared to the UK version, but a large part of that boils down to funding and host chemistry.

The first part of season one was kinda meh; they were obviously taking bits of the UK version that they knew worked and revamped it for an American audience that hasn't seen the original. I'm quite impressed with the last two episodes, though. Tanner is a pretty damn good driver, much better than any of the three UK hosts. Rut isn't bad; he brings a different perspective to the show. Adam, though... I'm still on the fence with him. One episode he's perfect in, but then in the next he's a throw away character.

Datsun 03-07-2012 03:22 PM

About the latest episode:

Spoiler!

Matsuda 03-07-2012 07:44 PM

I watched the most dangerous cars episode the other day to see if its gotten better since watching a few episodes of season 1. I'm still not a fan, Adam being the worst of the 3 hosts. I think its maybe because the show feels so scripted. I know the UK show is scripted too but the American version feels much more blatant.

roastpuff 03-07-2012 08:32 PM

The minivan episode was actually pretty funny... I was hoping for more carnage but those minivans held up pretty well!

Spoiler!

Neva 03-07-2012 09:52 PM

I think it might be that fact that UK started as a legitimate car show that gained respect from it's audiences and gradually evolved into the automotive entertainment we all love. US just came in and tried to run on par with the way UK is now without earning our respect over 18+ seasons

LP700-4 03-07-2012 10:00 PM

US show is way too scripted, not enough personality IMO.

But i do like how they have so many more challenges than UK nowadays. Watching them mess around redneck style is pretty funny.

sonick 03-08-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LP700-4 (Post 7822725)
US show is way too scripted, not enough personality IMO.

Almost everything in the UK version is scripted too, including Jeremy Clarkson's test drives. The UK hosts just delivers it much, much better; I'm sure the US ones will get better over time as well.

vexor 03-15-2012 11:30 AM

speaking of getting better, this weeks episode of the supercars trip was the best so far in the series. looks like they're getting better at these 1 feature per episode style of presentation.

sonick 03-15-2012 01:36 PM

Ya, last week's with the continental divide was great too.

bloodmack 03-15-2012 02:49 PM

Im happy that they are finally using some of their national celebrity super powers that they have i.e. donald trump. I still think the Trucking episode was the best though.

hk20000 03-15-2012 03:37 PM

The truck was hilarious because I think that's where the presenters' personality came through best.

90mph Peterbilt is troll.

Manic! 03-15-2012 03:41 PM

Liked the last EP. Shows the Lambo is pretty much useless as a car. They also drove 200 miles without using painters tape on the cars.

bloodmack 03-15-2012 03:50 PM

I think they had the lambo in sport mode the entire time.. If it really is that bad in cities I dont see why people would buy it at all..

skyxx 03-15-2012 05:20 PM

^ Because it's a Lambo.

bloodmack 08-22-2012 07:40 PM