REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Testing a head unit with a CPU PSU

Recently I purchased an Avic Z110BT from eBay for a '01 GTI that I will be getting in two weeks. I wanted to test the head unit out to ensure it properly functions so I decided to hook it up to a CPU PSU, there are a number of video's on how to do this online. I followed the instructions by hooking up the constant power to a yellow power cable on my PSU and the ground to the black ground. Up until now everything works as expected. When I attach the accessory to a yellow power cable the PSU lights go from being on to flashing on and off and in turn, the head unit lights flash on and off.

Does anyone have any speculation on why this is happening or maybe have and alternate method of testing the head unit? Thanks.
Advertisement
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
If you wire the red and yellow wires together to 12V and black to ground, this gives you flickering? Hmmm....Are you sure the power supply has enough balls? It should.

Either way, I can throw it on my test bench if you're in the Coquitlam area. Just bring some donuts by.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Thanks bud, I may take you up on the offer next weekend.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #4

Thanks for all your help today Orgasm Donor, I really appreciated you taking the time to check something out I didn't even buy from you. I will definately be in touch with you for the car alarm in the next month or two. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed the donuts.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koflach View Post
Thanks for all your help today Orgasm Donor, I really appreciated you taking the time to check something out I didn't even buy from you. I will definately be in touch with you for the car alarm in the next month or two. Thanks again and I hope you enjoyed the donuts.
Anytime dude! Thanks for the donuts! We're all on a sugar-high...lol.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote