REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   ICBC Collector vehicles (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663795-icbc-collector-vehicles.html)

ShadowBun 02-27-2012 05:18 PM

ICBC Collector vehicles

Hey guys

Just read about it. Anyone under this?

What kind of car would qualify?
Seems interesting. Want to get one. Any suggestions?

BorLorBao 02-27-2012 05:21 PM

ICBC | Collector vehicles

mb_ 02-27-2012 05:21 PM

Here's some info I got from ICBC's website

Quote:

Collector plates are special licence plates that show your vehicle is a real classic—while letting you save money on insurance, too.
With collector plates and insurance, you can drive for pleasure and go to car club events. However, there are driving restrictions.
Does my vehicle qualify for collector plates?
You can get collector plates for passenger vehicles, vans, light trucks and motorcycles.

To qualify, your vehicle must be
at least 25 years old, or
at least 15 years old and a limited-production model (1500 or fewer manufactured worldwide for that model year), or
at least 15 years old, with no vehicles of any kind built by its manufacturer for at least five years.
Your vehicle must also be
in exceedingly good condition (including no dents, scratches, chips in the paint and/or rust);
maintained or restored to a condition that ICBC considers to be of collectible value, and
the vehicle must remain in the same condition as represented in your original application for collector plates.
Top 5 most common reasons a vehicle may be not be accepted for collector plates:
Poor quality photos - Keep your hand steady! Blurry photos or photos taken too far away make it difficult to show the vehicles current condition.
Poor vehicle Condition - This may seem obvious, but a reminder that vehicles with dents, paint chips, scratches, rust, and/or rips or damage to any part of the interior are unlikely to pass.
Non era-correct parts - A CD player in a 1955 Ford T-Bird? Sorry. Non era parts like stereo equipment, wheels or performance parts will not be accepted. See the approved parts list for more info.
Incomplete vehicle - It's not push-pull or drag! Collector plates cannot be applied to vehicles missing parts such as mouldings, name plates or decals.
Approved stickers only - Club car stickers or Combat Auto Theft (C.A.T.) sticker are OK.
For more information, see the collector vehicle application form (PDF).

How do I apply for collector plates?
Fill out an application (PDF) to have ICBC designate your vehicle a collector vehicle. Forms are also available from Autoplan brokers.
Photograph your vehicle, following the instructions on the application form.
Take the completed application and photos to an Autoplan broker or mail them to ICBC (see application form for details).
ICBC will review the application. If your vehicle qualifies, the approved application will be sent back to you. Typically, the review and processing takes about three weeks.
After receiving your approved application, contact your broker to order your plates.
Your plates should be ready for you to pick up at the Autoplan broker in about four working days. (It's a good idea to call first to make sure the plates have arrived.)
Insuring your collector vehicle
Once your vehicle has collector status and plates, you can insure it. If you live in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley, the vehicle must pass an AirCare test..
Driving restrictions
Pleasure use: Vehicles with collector plates are restricted to pleasure use only. With collector vehicles, you may never drive to work or school.
Important: Driving a vehicle with collector plates for reasons other than pleasure use could void your insurance.
Driving after dark: If your vehicle doesn't have the lights and reflectors required by the Motor Vehicle Act Regulations, you may not drive it between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise.
ICBC | Collector vehicles

ShadowBun 02-27-2012 05:49 PM

Alright.

Are there any good sites for local used cars other than craigslist?

I personally do not know any 25 years old or older cars that would be good... suggestions?

Rich Sandor 02-27-2012 05:53 PM

don't even think about getting a 25year old car just so you can get collectors plates to drive around on cheap insurance.

the collectors plates are meant to be used for 'show and shine' type of vehicles, on weekends and with low KMs per year.

If you get busted daily driving a car with collectors plates, you may not be covered if it gets in an accident.

mb_ 02-27-2012 05:55 PM

IMO I'd only get collector plates if I owned a car that I really wanted and qualified for it

and if I remember correctly you need to have another car insured with regular plates/insurance

ShadowBun 02-27-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7811949)
don't even think about getting a 25year old car just so you can get collectors plates to drive around on cheap insurance.

the collectors plates are meant to be used for 'show and shine' type of vehicles, on weekends and with low KMs per year.

If you get busted daily driving a car with collectors plates, you may not be covered if it gets in an accident.

The car wont be a daily driven car.
maximum of once to twice a week. That's why I thought about this.

There's 2 cars currently under regular insurance right now

bcrdukes 02-27-2012 06:03 PM

I'm on my second collector plated motorcycle/scooter.

First one was a 1974 Vespa 90. Now my second one is a 1979 Yamaha SR500. I tried to get my 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider collector plated but before I could do the necessary modifications, a private collector bought it from me.

Listen to what Rich Sandor said. Do not get one just to simply get around with cheap insurance. Collector plated vehicles/motorcycles/scooters are not meant for that purpose. They are simply to preserve the integrity of the vehicle, as-is. And like he mentioned, if something happens to it and heaven forbid anything does happen to it - no amount of lubrication of any sort can save your ass from the raping-to-be you'll receive from ICBC.

Unless it is within your intention to simply have a collector of a specific vehicle you personally have an affection for, be it American muscle, classic Japanese, or rustic Italians, go for it. You have to remember - owning a third vehicle (or collector in this case) is fundamentally an extra expense. Otherwise, I suggest saving your pennies to compensate for the rising cost of gas this summer.

godwin 02-27-2012 06:04 PM

As long as it is for pleasure use then it is fine. Remember things like stock radio etc counts.. accessories must be period correct.. eg no CD players in a 70s vehicle. The process is straight forward and you only need to Aircare once.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 7811963)
The car wont be a daily driven car.
maximum of once to twice a week. That's why I thought about this.

There's 2 cars currently under regular insurance right now

GabAlmighty 02-27-2012 06:18 PM

The application process is pretty lengthy. I was going to try and get my Volvo's under them but it's a pain in the ass, that and you can't mod them.

firebird79_00 02-27-2012 06:36 PM

Has to be all stock. And with collector plates you can drive it as much as you want......but you cant drive it to get grocerys etc. Its purely meant for driving around or going to a show and shine.

godwin 02-27-2012 06:38 PM

You got it confused with Vintage Vehicle

ICBC | Vintage vehicles

With collectors you CANNOT drive to work/school but for PLEASURE use only; so you cannot "drive it as much as you want".. ie you can go get groceries as long as you don't work at the grocery store as a grocer.

You can mod it as long as it is period correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird79_00 (Post 7812024)
Has to be all stock. And with collector plates you can drive it as much as you want......but you cant drive it to get grocerys etc. Its purely meant for driving around or going to a show and shine.

twitchyzero 02-27-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 7811999)
The application process is pretty lengthy. I was going to try and get my Volvo's under them but it's a pain in the ass, that and you can't mod them.

not hating on volvo's..but i would be surprised to see this with collector's plate.

godwin 02-27-2012 08:47 PM

One of my friends have a AMC Spirit on Collector's plate.. as long as the car is straight and true, well kept and have a decent set of picture taken.. the Collector's plate is actually quite easy to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7812091)
not hating on volvo's..but i would be surprised to see this with collector's plate.

twitchyzero 02-27-2012 08:52 PM

yeah that makes sense...how many AMCs are left in vancouver?
yet I still see a visible amount of 80's volvo...few in conditions that are worthy of a CP

firebird79_00 02-27-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7812029)
You got it confused with Vintage Vehicle

ICBC | Vintage vehicles

With collectors you CANNOT drive to work/school but for PLEASURE use only; so you cannot "drive it as much as you want".. ie you can go get groceries as long as you don't work at the grocery store as a grocer.

You can mod it as long as it is period correct.

I have collector plates on my car, i know the deal. You CANNOT drive it to get grocerys, its pleasure use only! Meaning if i wanted to drive my car around the world im fine, but if its parked outside a grocery store and get hit your on your own. I know this shit cause ive been through that before.

Sky_High 02-27-2012 08:59 PM

^ So you can "pleasurely" drive your car around the word for 365 days....but you're not allowed to stop by McDonalds or Safeway to grab food?

:fulloffuck:

ShadowBun 02-27-2012 09:03 PM

lol what the

ProBoostin 02-27-2012 09:07 PM

^
No you can go anywhere you want and drive as much as you want if it's for personal use as long as it's not to work or school or for commercial use. My dad has 2 cars with collector plates, but you have to have another car as a daily driver with regular insurance.

ShadowBun 02-27-2012 09:35 PM

yes theres 2 cars with regular insurance

started the thread hoping to get some insights as what current collectors are driving

RabidRat 02-27-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firebird79_00 (Post 7812172)
I have collector plates on my car, i know the deal. You CANNOT drive it to get grocerys, its pleasure use only! Meaning if i wanted to drive my car around the world im fine, but if its parked outside a grocery store and get hit your on your own. I know this shit cause ive been through that before.

I don't understand why you can't go to the grocery store under "pleasure use".

It's not like you work there, why the hell can't shopping fall under "pleasure"??

bcrdukes 02-27-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowBun (Post 7812229)
started the thread hoping to get some insights as what current collectors are driving

You'll see some older 70s and 80s Mercedes-Benz and BMWs rolling around on Collector plates. Some domestics of all sorts but at this point, if you can find a decent Toyota Cressida in tip top shape, they should be eligible.

You'll also see some Porsche 911SC/Carerras, Alfa Romeo Spiders, Triumph and MGs rolling around with them as well.

There was a Revscene member who had a DA chassis Acura Integra GS-R with the B17A engine which qualified for Collectors but those are hard to come by. I recall Tapioca mentioning that he has one but is a daily driver.

1990TSI 02-27-2012 10:12 PM

"at least 15 years old, with no vehicles of any kind built by its manufacturer for at least five years."

Eagle Talon anyone?

or would the mitsubishi/chrysler family take that away?

bcrdukes 02-27-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1990TSI (Post 7812272)
"at least 15 years old, with no vehicles of any kind built by its manufacturer for at least five years."

Eagle Talon anyone?

or would the mitsubishi/chrysler family take that away?

^
The DSM family would disqualify it.

1990TSI 02-27-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7812282)
^
The DSM family would disqualify it.

that's understandable :(

would be nice!