REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Taylor Swift turns down Cancer Patient's Prom Date Invitation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663815-taylor-swift-turns-down-cancer-patients-prom-date-invitation.html)

MG1 02-28-2012 09:20 AM

^taylor swift - Google Search

Now pic your favourite and tell us why..........

Gumby 02-28-2012 09:20 AM

At 5'11", I bet Taylor Swift's taller than half the people in this thread.

And first Mila Kunis, then Justin Timberlake and now Taylor Swift. Who will be the first celeb to be a dick and turn down an invitation?

rJZx 02-28-2012 09:34 AM

^ :okay:

7seven 02-28-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7812645)
And first Mila Kunis, then Justin Timberlake and now Taylor Swift. Who will be the first celeb to be a dick and turn down an invitation?

Scarlett Johansson and Betty White both have turned down public invites to balls. Tim Tebow hasn't responded to his, and a number of others haven't responded either.

Honestly its getting out of hand, this is the new fad, regular people taking to Youtube/social media to invite celebs to their balls and proms, so many out there, its getting stupid. I've had several clients receive invites and honestly they are in a no win situation, you say yes to one, and you're opening up yourself to 1000s more invites and having to rearrange other engagements and shooting schedules, pissing off studios and other people on set, you say no and some fans/media will think you are an ass or something.

MG1 02-28-2012 09:55 AM

Now who do I want to invite to my balls.........

Gumby 02-28-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 7812654)
Scarlett Johansson and Betty White both have turned down public invites to balls. Tim Tebow hasn't responded to his, and a number of others haven't responded either.

Honestly its getting out of hand, this is the new fad, regular people taking to Youtube/social media to invite celebs to their balls and proms, so many out there, its getting stupid. I've had several clients receive invites and honestly they are in a no win situation, you say yes to one, and you're opening up yourself to 1000s more invites and having to rearrange other engagements and shooting schedules, pissing off studios and other people on set, you say no and some fans/media will think you are an ass or something.

She's a lovely lady, but someone invited Betty White to a ball? :lol

Yeah exactly - it is getting out of hand, and it's a no-win situation.

MG1 02-28-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumby (Post 7812664)
She's a lovely lady, but someone invited Betty White to a ball? :lol

MILF, Cougar, Wildcat......... jebuz, would have to create new catagory for the likes of Betty White.

spoon.ek9 02-28-2012 10:58 AM

For the sake of clarity, I want to say this:

The Sedins wanted to donate anonymously. It was children's hospital that had to convince them into making the contribution public.

$750,000 each is NOT equivalent to $20 for them. I'm sure that comment was made in jest but its absurd too.
Posted via RS Mobile

jpark 02-28-2012 11:12 AM

not really relevant, but this story sort of reminded me of the girl that went to my highschool

she lied through the media saying she had cancer, even providing 'legit-looking' hospital documents that she paid someone to make proving that she was suffering from cancer. All this was to meet Chris Angel, and at one point he actually accepted her request and went for dinner with her etc in vegas. She lied to her friends saying she met him personally somewhere and became friends

and of course, couple days later everything was exposed, and she just stopped coming to school...

dumb bitch :fuckthatshit:

Soundy 02-28-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 7812719)
For the sake of clarity, I want to say this:

The Sedins wanted to donate anonymously. It was children's hospital that had to convince them into making the contribution public.

$750,000 each is NOT equivalent to $20 for them. I'm sure that comment was made in jest but its absurd too.
Posted via RS Mobile

The other side of the coin is, if a celebrity - especially a well-liked and respected celebrity - donates publicly, the hope is that it may inspire others to do it as well - obviously this is what BC Kids was hoping for.

And while your average Hollywood debutante needs all the good press she can get, the Sedins don't stand to gain anything personally by making such a donation public. It doesn't affect their signing value or their ice time, so there should be no selfish motive.

spoon.ek9 02-28-2012 11:38 AM

^ very good point. Society as a whole is just way too cynical these days. People don't always have ulterior motives.

AzNightmare 02-28-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishTaco (Post 7812536)
So then how would we know who donated if it's anonymous? :rukidding:

Your theory is flawed. You want actors to donate anonymously, but get mad that you don't hear about it. :yuno:

When I mean donate anonymously, I don't mean leaving a duffel bag full of cash at the front door.
The only people that need to know are the giver and the receiver, with the media left out of it.
I never said I get mad when I don't hear about it. Why would I need to know about it?

Soundy 02-28-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 7812766)
^ very good point. Society as a whole is just way too cynical these days. People don't always have ulterior motives.

And in the same vein, you only rarely see the photos of the players visiting BC Kids and Canuck Place, but the kids, parents and staff say it happens all the time - sometimes it's a planned visit with a number of players, sometimes a player will just stop by on his own time to visit a couple kids. Same thing - it's nothing that gets them brownie points at the contract table or anything, it's something they can do to give of themselves because it makes a difference.

And back to the Taylor Swift thing... you have to remember that these people probably get bombarded constantly by fan letters and tweets and such, everything from a simple "I love your work" to psycho stalkers. There's nothing that says they have to go out of their way for a fan the way she did for this guy... I can't speak for her, but I wonder sometimes if celebs who do these things would be just as happy if everyone DIDN'T know, so they can go out and enjoy a normal evening with another human being without being mobbed. Now she'll probably get a bazillion more "I'M DYING, PLEASE MAKE MY WISH COME TRUE" things. But knowing that, she still took time out for this guy.

Actually, I was kind of impressed when she did her song at the Grammys - not only did she kick ass, but she looked genuinely surprised when the crowd gave her a standing-O. With the years of success she's already got behind her, that's a sign of a truly grounded person.

Watch all the way through:

kevin7352 02-28-2012 03:46 PM

:fuckyea:

b0unce. [?] 02-28-2012 09:12 PM

isnt this what that make a wish foundation is for? do it through a organization so they can decide whether or not your dying illness or w/e is worse than the next kids :lol

Timmy: "i have leukemia and my dying wish is to meet nicolas cage."
Jimmy: "i have a large tumor lodged in the back of my head and my dying wish is to meet selena gomez."

Well sorry Jimmy, we can't grant your wish. Timmy's disease is much worse compared to yours. The celebrity he wishes to meet has made nothing good the last decade and is on a savage decline in the movie industry.

RRxtar 02-29-2012 10:03 AM

you know what a fun make a wish would be? to have EA Sports create you as a goalie in NHL09 with 100% attributes and dont tell anyone youre in the game so when RRxtar plays a full season and playoffs in solo mode and takes his team to the cup final he cant score on you and its too late to change the roster settings.

twitchyzero 02-29-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 7812668)
MILF, Cougar, Wildcat......... jebuz, would have to create new catagory for the likes of Betty White.

:heckno: