REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Taylor Swift turns down Cancer Patient's Prom Date Invitation (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663815-taylor-swift-turns-down-cancer-patients-prom-date-invitation.html)

twitchyzero 02-27-2012 10:20 PM

Taylor Swift turns down Cancer Patient's Prom Date Invitation

came across this
:thumbs:
talk about down to earth :tears:

Quote:

Taylor Swift is a fairy godmother to a teenage boy.

Kevin McGuire, an 18-year-old high school student from New Jersey who has leukemia, wanted to go to prom with the country-pop star.

The teen was concerned that his appearance after receiving cancer treatments would hinder his chances of landing a date for the special occasion that also coincides with his 19th birthday. However, his sister Victoria had an idea that would lift his spirits and make this event one he would remember forever.

While discussing potential prom dates, Victoria suggested that he ask Swift to accompany him to the prom, a feat that seemed impossible at the time, but within reach for the hopeful teen.

"Having a date like Taylor Swift would be amazing because I feel like she wouldn't make me feel [like I was] sick," the basketball and varsity football player said. "She would make me feel like an actual prom date and make my birthday even better."

After seeing a Facebook event titled, "Taylor Swift take KEVIN MCGUIRE TO PROM!" and receiving thousands of tweets with the hash tag "#TeamKevin, Swift declined the invitation to McGuire's prom and instead made a proposition of her own.

"Kevin, I'm so sorry but I won't be able to make it to your prom," the songstress wrote on her official Facebook page. "But I was wondering, the ACM Awards are coming up...Would you be my date? Love, Taylor."

Even though McGuire is currently undergoing cancer treatments at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, he responded to Swift's exciting offer saying, "I have cancer. Cancer doesn't have me. Taylor, I would love to go with you."
Taylor Swift invites teen with leukemia to American Country Music Awards | Up Beat - Yahoo! Music

bengy 02-27-2012 10:26 PM

Nice thread title fag. You should go work for the tabloids.

cliffhanger33 02-27-2012 10:27 PM

Sounds too sweet to be true. :tears:
At first, I thought Swift straight up rejected him publicly :heckno:, until I read her proposition. What a dramatic irony!

MG1 02-27-2012 10:30 PM

Justin Bieber did a similar thing.......... well almost.

Justin Bieber grants Avalanna Routh's Valentine's Day wish by 'marrying' her | Mail Online

I think it's a little over the top, but whatever.

twitchyzero 02-27-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengy (Post 7812306)

do you want me to type the cole's notes into the thread title? it takes a minute to skim the article..not to mention there's only so many words i can cram into to a title. people are so used to being getting spoonfed these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffhanger33 (Post 7812308)
Sounds too sweet to be true. :tears:
At first, I thought Swift straight up rejected him publicly :heckno:, until I read her proposition. What a dramatic irony!

good publicity stunt yo

Mr.HappySilp 02-27-2012 10:37 PM

yup good for publicity.

However, her image does seem a lot better than most artist out there (what she does off camera is another thing). But at least she isn't turning little girls into whores.......

bloodmack 02-27-2012 10:39 PM

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...om-the-sky.jpg

Gh0stRider 02-27-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bengy (Post 7812306)

:rukidding:

:moderatorban:

cliffhanger33 02-27-2012 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7812317)

good publicity stunt yo

:okay: fine

twitchyzero 02-27-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7812327)
yup good for publicity.

However, her image does seem a lot better than most artist out there (what she does off camera is another thing). But at least she isn't turning little girls into whores.......

exactly my thoughts. I can't think of any mainstream female singers in her age group that isn't annoying and does not have a slutty image.

murd0c 02-27-2012 10:59 PM

I can't wait till she fucks up and nude phone pics come out on her :troll:

em1.ac 02-27-2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7812332)

Finally someone with a brain. Listen, I'm not putting down any actor, pop singer, artist. They have talents I do not. I understand that makes them different then the rest of the general population.

But for fuck sakes people, they are no different then you or me. They have a talent. I could care less for them. You know who I respect? People that have money and do something with it to help the "world" a little. The Sedins donated 1.5 million to BC Children's Hospital. To me that's respect. If anything, Taylor Swift is going to make "MORE" money from this. You can "fail" me all you want for my comments, I could care less but the people that are going to "fail" me for this are the ones who sit at home watching TMZ and cry when rapper P Diddy has to sell one of his mansions because his music sales are not so great this year.:accepted:

Infiniti 02-28-2012 12:40 AM

Taylor Swift..yum!

SkinnyPupp 02-28-2012 12:48 AM

I remember seeing her butthole a few weeks ago. Look for that pic!
Posted via RS Mobile

twitchyzero 02-28-2012 12:51 AM

so i get why people won't give a shit...but why click on the thread in the first place?

butter_sashimi 02-28-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by w1nt3rw0lf (Post 7812410)
Finally someone with a brain. Listen, I'm not putting down any actor, pop singer, artist. They have talents I do not. I understand that makes them different then the rest of the general population.

But for fuck sakes people, they are no different then you or me. They have a talent. I could care less for them. You know who I respect? People that have money and do something with it to help the "world" a little. The Sedins donated 1.5 million to BC Children's Hospital. To me that's respect. If anything, Taylor Swift is going to make "MORE" money from this. You can "fail" me all you want for my comments, I could care less but the people that are going to "fail" me for this are the ones who sit at home watching TMZ and cry when rapper P Diddy has to sell one of his mansions because his music sales are not so great this year.:accepted:

A celebrity publically donating millions to a charitable cause is also a form of "making MORE money". It adds to their advertising, their good rep and of course to their net worth. You even get tax credits from donating. I wouldn't necessarily give full-on respect to these people.

If $20 bucks to me is equivalent to 1.5 million to them, then I deserve undeniable respect whenever I donate. =D

Anyway, besides, the news article is sweet. Not everyday someone gives a thought to the sick. Even if it was all for the money, both parties win. She gets her fame, he gets a happy moment in his potentially short life. The Vancouver sun as is has a whole lot of news that no one 'should' give a fuck.

AzNightmare 02-28-2012 02:16 AM

It's nice and all when rich people donate.
But if they do so, the best form of donation is when done anonymously.

It's all publicity when big celebrities donate 1-2 million dollars to charity,
when they make like $10mil/movie, multiple times a year.

Or when mega billion dollar corporations donate a huge 4million dollars.. or whatever.

trancehead 02-28-2012 02:26 AM

its a win win in this case
and of course a big lose for both sides if she declines

Datsun 02-28-2012 02:40 AM

Pretty sure having Taylor at prom will create a security nightmare. Getting him to go to a huge awards night def. makes more sense.

bloodmack 02-28-2012 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 7812477)
so i get why people won't give a shit...but why click on the thread in the first place?

Because I can.

FishTaco 02-28-2012 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNightmare (Post 7812518)
It's nice and all when rich people donate.
if they do so, the best form of donation is when done anonymously.

It's all publicity when big celebrities donate 1-2 million dollars to charity,
when they make like $10mil/movie, multiple times a year.

Or when mega billion dollar corporations donate a huge 4million dollars.. or whatever.

So then how would we know who donated if it's anonymous? :rukidding:

Your theory is flawed. You want actors to donate anonymously, but get mad that you don't hear about it. :yuno:

PiuYi 02-28-2012 05:40 AM

i love taylor swift :ahwow:

b0unce. [?] 02-28-2012 05:59 AM

After reading the title, this didn't seem like a stunt she would pull. I'm going to start a Facebook Page and twitter trend "I'm dying and the last person I want to push my meat into is Kate Upton."
Posted via RS Mobile

BLUETIGER 02-28-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7812370)
I can't wait till she fucks up and nude phone pics come out on her :troll:

you sure they're not on your phone?

RRxtar 02-28-2012 08:54 AM

why isnt this thread full of pics of taylor swift yet?

brb using imagination because no pics.