REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM   #1
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

The Power Of Internet Forums

Two Great Stories Today
Quote:
Thanks to Reddit — and a very generous author — a dying man will know how his favourite story ends.

Nachu Bhatnager has terminal cancer. He doesn't expect to live beyond the summer.

When asked what he wants to accomplish before he dies, he answered with a seemingly impossible wish: he wanted to finish reading Harry Turtledove's The War That Came Early series.

He wanted to know how it ends.

There was one major hurdle to his dream: the last two books in the series haven't been published yet.

Bhatnager's friends were determined to help, taking his situation to Reddit:

"My friend has terminal cancer and may die by June. I'm trying to fulfill one of his last wishes. Is there any way to obtain a copy of a book that hasn't been released yet?" Colton Jang, one of Bhatnager's friends, posted on Reddit.

He attached a copy of the letter being sent to Turtledove, begging for an advance copy of the remaining books:

"I understand the risks involved in sending an advance copy of your books to him and I understand the potential copyright issues and backlash from publishers. That said, my friend needs some good luck and kindness to balance out the awful streak he's been on, and I couldn't imagine a better person for it than his favourite author."

Hundreds of commends flooded in. Soon, a response from the author popped up. An advance reading copy was in the mail shortly thereafter.

Just days later, a YouTube video showed Bhutnager receiving the surprise birthday gift of a lifetime — an advance copy of a book he never thought he'd get to read. Turtledove also arranged to call the young man to discuss the details of his final book.

Watch the heartwarming, tearjerking moment below. (Warning: profanity — but totally understandable. His friends made the impossible possible.)
Link to the original reddit post: http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/co...y_die_by_june/

Advertisement
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Banned By Establishment

That is very heartwarming! I'm glad the powers-that-do made this possible for him.
Ronith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:18 AM   #3
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
Dam lol that's what a real friend would do, internet being put to good use!!
Posted via RS Mobile
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #4

I don't know what's better. Having a pretty much impossible birthday wish come true, or having a friend that would do everything to make your last wish come true....
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:01 AM   #5
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
awesome!
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Reddit

simply awesome

www.l2sc.net
FiveDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Good story. Reminds me of the one where pixar let a little dying girl watch 'Up', where she died shortly after watching it.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
The Internet can be a real shitty place, but also a wonderful place. In the end, it comes down to people. The Internet is a great tool - nothing more. What we do with that tool can make a helluva difference. I've always believed that places like RS can be so much better. If only some of us can lose the attitude and work with others..........

Thank you fetched, for the story.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
i came in here expecting to see a repost about the richmond subaru thread

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #10
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
is anyone else getting sick and tired of

"I have terminal cancer, I want to make one last wish, and the internet will make it so"

its spreading like wildfire
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 02:23 PM   #11
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post

"I have terminal cancer, I want to make one last wish, and the internet will make it so"

Yeah, I totally get what you mean. Why should terminally ill people have any happiness? Makes no sense to me.
I mean I much rather hear stories about rapes, murders, wars, or pretty much anything that goes against happiness.

This shit about a bro doing something incredible for his best buddy is some soft shit and doesn't belong in our world...
I'm glad there are people like you in our world. Otherwise, who else would shit on something like this?
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
Yeah, I totally get what you mean. Why should terminally ill people have any happiness? Makes no sense to me.
I mean I much rather hear stories about rapes, murders, wars, or pretty much anything that goes against happiness.
Don't be a sensationalist - the point is not that anybody would hope that terminal patients don't enjoy their limited time alive.

The point is that there are hundreds of millions of people on this planet that have a day to day life infinitely worse than those of a terminal patient in a modern western hospital and there are few celebrities or Youtube videos dedicated to improving the quality of their life. On top of that, their wishes are not things like having a celebrity on their arm at their prom, instead their wishes are things like not having their entire family die of starvation, thirst, or disease.

Mark
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Don't be a sensationalist - the point is not that anybody would hope that terminal patients don't enjoy their limited time alive.

The point is that there are hundreds of millions of people on this planet that have a day to day life infinitely worse than those of a terminal patient in a modern western hospital and there are few celebrities or Youtube videos dedicated to improving the quality of their life. On top of that, their wishes are not things like having a celebrity on their arm at their prom, instead their wishes are things like not having their entire family die of starvation, thirst, or disease.

Mark
I understand that there are people a lot less fortunate in other countries. And I try to have sympathy for them. But, in reality they're 1000 of miles away and if those stories are not brought to my attention via the news or revscene, it's not going to affect me. And even if they are brought to my attention, I will probably feel sad or even guilty about it (for the moment), but I will soon brush it under the rug.

The difference here is that glove wrote he's sick and tired of hearing about these "good" stories.
I know there are terrible things going on in the world. I get that. But, it's nice to see the "good" stories once in awhile. We simply cannot continually focus on the negatives in this world because there are millions of cases.

TLDR;
Yes, there are terrible things going on in the world.
But, it's nice to hear about the good things people do for others sometimes.

And I do not think I am a sensationalist, I merely used hyperbole
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #14

Quote:

You're dead inside, bro.
Drizzt Do'Urden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
RTS
My homepage has been set to RS

Poor guy. Lucky to have such devoted friends though.
RTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:56 PM   #16
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

Quote:

yeah, i mean everywhere you look, people are getting cancer.....