REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:38 PM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Hey Hey We're the Monkees....rip

D a v y J o n e s | O f f i c i a l S i t e

Davy Jones died yesterday lead singer of the Monkees

probably isnt relevant at all for the younger guys but when i was a kid they used to show repeats of The Monkees tv show all the time so i became a fan as a kid

and they had some great songs they werent just a comedy show

Classic

Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66 | Music News | Rolling Stone

Quote:
Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66
Sang 'Daydream Believer' and 'I Wanna Be Free'

Davy Jones of the Monkees has died of an apparent heart attack at age 66. The singer, who had been on a solo tour this month, complained of chest pains last evening and was admitted to a hospital this morning in Stuart, Florida.

Jones was born in Manchester, England and started acting as a child. In 1964 he had the misfortune of appearing in the cast of Oliver! on the same episode of The Ed Sullivan Show where the Beatles made their debut. The next year he was cast in The Monkees, a comedy show/band inspired by the success of the Beatles. They were an instant hit in the ratings and the record shops, scoring massive singles with "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," "Stepping Stone" and "Pleasant Valley Sunday." Jones – who played tambourine in the band – was the lead vocalist on the classics "Daydream Believer" and "I Wanna Be Free." At the peak of their popularity in 1967 the group sold more albums than the Beatles.

Photos: Davy Jones Through the Years

The Monkees' music was written by some of the best songwriters of the day, including Carole King and Neil Diamond. As the group grew more popular, they insisted on writing their own music and playing their own instruments. Although their later work has attracted a huge cult audience over the years, their mainstream success quickly dwindled and the group split in 1971. Jones went onto a solo career, and he memorably performed his song "Girl" on an episode of The Brady Bunch.

Jones returned to acting in the late 1970s when his solo career failed to take off, but he found it difficult to escape the shadow of the Monkees. By the mid-1980s Monkees mania was reborn when MTV and other stations began regularly airing old episodes of the TV show. The band (minus Mike Nesmith) reunited for a highly successful reunion tour in 1986. They toured off and on through 2001, when infighting led to another split. Last summer they patched things up for a 45th anniversary tour, though it was called short because of what guitarist Peter Tork called a "glitch."

Nesmith posted a tribute to Jones on his Facebook page. "I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality," he wrote. "I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels."

Read more: Monkees Singer Davy Jones Dead at 66 | Music News | Rolling Stone
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Davy Jones................ reminds me, for some odd reason, of David Cassidy of the Partridge Family, but yeah, RIP.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
I have all of their records I got from my parents lol
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

love this show, use to watch it all the time
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Davy Jones................ reminds me, for some odd reason, of David Cassidy of the Partridge Family, but yeah, RIP.
oddly enough they're best buddies and were going to go on tour together and now Cassidys turning it into a tribute tour
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Am I the only one who changed the channel as soon as the theme song was over?
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

RIP
Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

RIP
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

RIP, the monkees GTO was sick
JD35 is offline   Reply With Quote