REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Has Anyone elses BC Hydro bill gone up?

just wondering because after getting a letter in the mail saying bc hydro
was going to install a smart meter, my bill went from 20 dollars a month...
to a 100...

i don't waste energy, and am pretty good with turning things off when i go to
bed. i've also read a lot of articles where other people are in the same situation.

has anybody had the same problem here and have been able to rectify it?

thanks in advance
Advertisement
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

I am sure that you know that BC has had very low hydro rates for years compared to the rest of the world. We the tax payer invested in damns and clean energy but now it seems that the BC Hydro's CEO looking to make profits and reduce theft but replacing old meters to smart ones.

Higher profits means higher bonuses at the end of the year.
FS1992EG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Check your meter readings to see if there were any errors. Changing to a smart meter actually will make your meter readings more accurate as BC Hydro won't need to send a meter reader to your house to get a reading and you shouldn't get as many estimated reads.
Vege is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

That drastic of a change sounds like a mistake.

I had that happen one month and Hydro adjusted it for me. They should be able to do that for you, given your usage hasn't changed.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
My bill went up... because it's fucking winter and we're an end unit with electric heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Had a renter who's bill went way up. Called up hydro and found out it was a mistake and got the bill changed.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,181 Posts
Are you able to compare this month's bill to last year's?
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Just run a mini nuke plant inside to keep you warm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
My bill went up... because it's fucking winter and we're an end unit with electric heat.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
my bill went up like 5-10 bux every 2 months.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Smart meters are a scam, don't buy that b.s they're spitting about it being a more efficient means.
All they do is allow BC hydro to tell when the peak hours of energy use in your home is. They will then start charging a premium for those peak times.
Not to mention the close to a billion dollars of taxpayers money to have them manufactured and installed, which none of us as taxpayers got to even vote or debate on. These clowns in power making decisions for the rest of us, to line their filthy pockets with more cash and bonuses at the end of the year, makes me sick. While we all struggle, they get more paid vacations.
Also fuck the bicycle lanes! Something else the public did not get to vote on.
Daily, i'm in traffic jams downtown, while at best 1 or 2 people are using these ridiculous bike lanes. Also, if translink wants to raise money for their new projects, start charging the people that actually use their fucking services. Dont be adding toll bridges to commuters that already have to live in the suburbs and take 1-2 hours to get to work, because they can't afford to live in the city.
The amount of shit people in the lower mainland have to pay at a premium compared to the rest of the world is disgusting.
We pay 1.40 a litre of gas, when our neighbours in Alberta are pumping this shit out. In Venezuela, an oil exporting country, the people pay 5cents a litre!
Down with Harper and his clowns, we need our own Hugo Chavez!

The revolution will not be televised.

Also the hundreds of millions of dollars that went to making the new BC Place stadium roof, can you say WASTE OF FUCKING MONEY.
This money should be going into education, we should be investing into our kids. Hundreds of millions of dollars for a new roof, and teachers are about to go on strike starting next week?
People in power need to get their priorities straight, the cost of living here doesn't have to be the most expensive in North America, if these clowns would stop bending us over and raping us without lube.

Last edited by ynot-llat; 03-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
ynot-llat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Did you get a new box? I just was watching the news and there are a bunch of complaints about hydro bills doubling and tripling since the new box was installed. One couple winter in the US and don't use their house in the Winter and came home to an 800.00 bill.
ddonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #12

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
They haven't implemented peak hour billing already have they?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Mine goes down next month.

According to my bills, I used less power this year than last year but I don't know how really. I'm working from home now at night so I'm always home with ALL my lights on all night. My roommate also leaves his TV on a lot.

Maybe no longer having a desktop PC made a sig. difference. I dunno.

PS: Finally got my Smart Meter.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #14

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vege View Post
Check your meter readings to see if there were any errors. Changing to a smart meter actually will make your meter readings more accurate as BC Hydro won't need to send a meter reader to your house to get a reading and you shouldn't get as many estimated reads.
This.

Many of the people who are experiencing increased bills were actually being underbilled before because there old meters were not reading or tracking usage correctly. The new meters are super accurate so if your old meter was not working correctly you could see a bit of a spike with the new one. This isn't the cause of rate fluctuation in every case but in a lot of them.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
They haven't implemented peak hour billing already have they?
No, they haven't, and they've repeatedly stated there are no plans to. Keep in mind that doing so would have to go through the BC Utilities Commission, and you WILL hear about it when it happens.

BTW, just checked my bill last night... it's gone down as well. I had automatic payments set up with my bank based on previous usage, and right now I have a $38 credit because my bill was lower.
Quote:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #16
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
This.

Many of the people who are experiencing increased bills were actually being underbilled before because there old meters were not reading or tracking usage correctly. The new meters are super accurate so if your old meter was not working correctly you could see a bit of a spike with the new one. This isn't the cause of rate fluctuation in every case but in a lot of them.
Out of curiosity, would they retroactively bill back those who were previously under-billed? I'm not sure if it's possible to determine for how long and by how much they were under billed by
Posted via RS Mobile
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS

Yeah mine went from about $12/month in summer (baseline without heat) to $38 when the smart meter came into effect for my december bill. Last year the dec. bill was only $24....
Old 03-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
Out of curiosity, would they retroactively bill back those who were previously under-billed? I'm not sure if it's possible to determine for how long and by how much they were under billed by
Posted via RS Mobile
Yes they can. They check the meters and record the amount used. They were underbilled simply because BChydro hasn't been checking. Sometimes they just guess. If you're on a equal payment plan, your bill is always the same...until the day they decide you need to catch up, which could be lower or higher or the same.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

mine went from 80 last bill to 300 and the apartment is only 1.5yrs old. They said either pay what "seems right" and wait until next time they come to read the meter or pay in full and get credited back. Such bs...
Posted via RS Mobile
Hide625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #20
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Happen last year to my house. The bill went up by like $100 so we call BC Hydro. The lady on the line was shock since she said our usage was way way out of nomral and she just said it mostly the person reading the meter got it wrong and weave that bill for us......
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooface55 View Post
just wondering because after getting a letter in the mail saying bc hydro
was going to install a smart meter, my bill went from 20 dollars a month...
to a 100...

i don't waste energy, and am pretty good with turning things off when i go to
bed. i've also read a lot of articles where other people are in the same situation.

has anybody had the same problem here and have been able to rectify it?

thanks in advance
Scan your bill, white out your address and name, and post it here.

Anything else is just bull shitting and speculating.
conflagrare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #22
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
The bill you receive has all the info you need. There's a section on the left in yellow shaded area - look for "Daily Average Comparison". In there. they have the kWh average for the month this year and the kWh average for same month last year.

If you're really concerned, check the "Next Meter Reading" date in same yellow shaded area. Go outside and write down the number on or near that date.

BC Hydro - What BC Hydro's new meters display

I haven't had to do that yet as it looks like the amount I owe this month has stayed the same as last year.

In the link I provided, it states that in the "Future", BC Hydro customers will have access to their meter readings for a more detailed account of one's power usage. Damn rights they better. If the smart meters are accurate and more convenient, then it should be same for the customer. If there's anything I would fight for, it is exactly that - the ability to check the meter from my computer and have the ability to track it down to the last milliwatt, LOL. Frugal Asian that I am.

Last edited by MG1; 03-04-2012 at 03:43 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #23

Someones gotta pay for that new technology and it sure as fuck ain't gonna be me.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 AM   #24

^Why, are you generating your own power?
Quote:
Old 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM   #25

Of course I've got a mini nuke plant going since the EPA raised safe radiation levels anywhere from 10,000-to 100,000 times. You'd be a fool not to have one.

Google
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
^Why, are you generating your own power?