REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:27 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Need car insurance help with Ont relocation

So long story short, I am moving my family to Toronto in March and we will be getting a new car there.

I am currently on 30% discount with ICBC, just wondering if anyone has experience negotiating with Ont insurance companies to get better rates with a BC driving history?

Also according to my research Canadian Direct seems to be the carrier with the most competitive rates, is this correct?

Any help is appreciated!
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:22 AM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I suggest you worry about it when you get to Ontario. There are tons of choices CAA, Statefarm etc. Get a few copies of your driver abstract, figure out where you live and how you move there.. car insurance is the least of your problems at this point.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

get a driver abstract from BC, and get a letter from ICBC of clean /accident free driving record. thats all u need when negotiating rates.

go to insurance broker, dont deal with companies directly.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I suggest you worry about it when you get to Ontario. There are tons of choices CAA, Statefarm etc. Get a few copies of your driver abstract, figure out where you live and how you move there.. car insurance is the least of your problems at this point.
Thanks for the advice. Right now I am in HK from the job I took 2 years ago. We have been working with a broker and are pretty sure that we will be settling at Markham area since it is within our price range.

The moving part will be easy though, suitcases lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-03-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
get a driver abstract from BC, and get a letter from ICBC of clean /accident free driving record. thats all u need when negotiating rates.

go to insurance broker, dont deal with companies directly.
Thanks, are chance ICBC do faxes for the DA?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Edit; sorry godwin. I'm not sure why I was such a douche before. I guess I was just cranky. I still think it's better to do your homework with stuff like this, but my reply to you was uncalled for. I need to tone it down. My bad.

Not sure if this helps or not. My aunty (who lives in toronto) has a 2012 Hyundai elantra touring and she pays $1700 a year. I'm not sure what insurance agency she's with. I'll try to find out

Last edited by TheKingdom2000; 03-03-2012 at 09:19 PM.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
This is the most unhelpful post ever...

Clearly OP is thinking ahead. Which is WAY better than just worrying about it when he gets there..
How do you know what his problems/issues are? It seems to me that his issue is that he wants to save some money on his car insurance.

It seems extremely logical to figure this out now or to at least get an idea right now then to wait until he gets to onterrible.

Not sure if this helps or not. My aunty (who lives in toronto) has a 2012 Hyundai elantra touring and she pays $1700 a year. I'm not sure what insurance agency she's with. I'll try to find out
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,133 Times in 309 Posts
There will be a wild variance in rates and conditions offered by each of the insurance companies in Ontario for an astronomical number of reasons. I've had rates been offered with over $700 difference between them for similar coverage and I've even been outright declined by a company. In my two moves out to Ontario and back, I will say I've gotten absolutely nothing of worth done until I was physically looking out there. You may be able to get online quotes from some places but honestly, my best advice would be to make sure you have copies of your information and take a day to hit up as many companies or brokers as you can in person. I've had good results with both CAA and Co-operators, but as I've said above - your mileage may vary.
Babykiller - And next to that, there's a little dot called a period. It's not the stuff you eat out of your sisters gash, it's a handy little tool for breaking up sentences so they don't look like nonsensical retard garbage.
Brianrietta is offline   Reply With Quote