REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #776
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
For those who have to buy groceries what's the best way to save? Other than buying no name brand, getting what's on sale, buy large packs. Any tricks?
Advertisement
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 PM   #777
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Buy bulk (Costco), if possible. It can be impractical if you're not buying for a family, though. Plan your week's meal in advance based on things that are on sale.

For me and wife, the regular plan is a combination of Save-On-Foods and the farm market (ie Kin's). We'll hit Costco for buying meat in bulk. We prep the meat before we freeze it. Buy (and stock up) the stuff on sale at Save-On's, and get the veggies we need for the week from Kin's. Getting the produce at farm market will save you, at least, 50% vs buying from the grocery store.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:29 PM   #778
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Buy bulk (Costco), if possible. It can be impractical if you're not buying for a family, though. Plan your week's meal in advance based on things that are on sale.

For me and wife, the regular plan is a combination of Save-On-Foods and the farm market (ie Kin's). We'll hit Costco for buying meat in bulk. We prep the meat before we freeze it. Buy (and stock up) the stuff on sale at Save-On's, and get the veggies we need for the week from Kin's. Getting the produce at farm market will save you, at least, 50% vs buying from the grocery store.
Basically this. I'm a firm believer of buying your produce when you need it. I find that if you buy produce in advance there's a higher chance of wasting it either by forgetting about it, or not going through with an earlier plan (i.e. you need to take out, you decide to make something else, etc etc).

I was gifted a vacuum sealer. At the time I never would have purchased one myself. But now that I have it I use it a lot after Costco runs to portion protein. Sometimes I'll pre-season some protein so my wife can throw it into the sous vide/defrost and put in the oven. Most of the time though it's sealed as is and I just defrost it and prep it on the day.

That said, I live in a condo with a million places to buy food/produce from. If you have to do groceries once a week, obviously the comment about buying produce when you need it is tougher to abide by.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2017, 04:41 PM   #779
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Sous-vide has changed our lives. Meat goes from freezer direct to the bath. It's a stupid-easy procedure since we add marinade to the meat before we freeze it. My wife tosses whatever protein into the bath, and all I have to do is give it a quick sear when I get home from the office.

EDIT: Another tip is to know the highs and lows for things you will buy. I don't care that something is on sale if the discount isn't significant. I have "Buy-it-Now" thresholds where something will hit a low enough price that I will stock up, if I need it, because the price isn't going to get any lower.

Last edited by Presto; 07-12-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2017, 05:21 PM   #780
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
For those who have to buy groceries what's the best way to save? Other than buying no name brand, getting what's on sale, buy large packs. Any tricks?
I cannot believe an Asian is actually asking this question. It should come naturally.........

Coupons, No Frills, Superstore and a really good rewards card(s). Oh, then there's little places like Banana Grove, Kim's Mart, Chong Lee, etc. Scan flyers for weekly deals and price match when shit sells out because of screamin' good deals. That's just the "tip" of the iceberg, but I cannot spend the time to post everything, because it's all so complicated and intertwined. I mean, I have a calendar of when shit will go on sale from previous months, years, etc............. anyway.

Last edited by MG1; 07-12-2017 at 05:29 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:20 PM   #781
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Quote:

I agree on getting bulk from Costco but might be tough for an apartment. I bought those giant toilet paper and tissue packs. My god it took like 1/3 of my closet space...... I am thinking of getting veggies from Farm market when I can(there is one that's 5mins away from work so I can just go there after work). Meat I am not sure yet..... I always though Superstore was the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Basically this. I'm a firm believer of buying your produce when you need it. I find that if you buy produce in advance there's a higher chance of wasting it either by forgetting about it, or not going through with an earlier plan (i.e. you need to take out, you decide to make something else, etc etc).

I was gifted a vacuum sealer. At the time I never would have purchased one myself. But now that I have it I use it a lot after Costco runs to portion protein. Sometimes I'll pre-season some protein so my wife can throw it into the sous vide/defrost and put in the oven. Most of the time though it's sealed as is and I just defrost it and prep it on the day.

That said, I live in a condo with a million places to buy food/produce from. If you have to do groceries once a week, obviously the comment about buying produce when you need it is tougher to abide by.
Not sure I should get a vacuum sealer. Due the apartments limited space and I think my mom always use Ziploc bags for meats. Just prep the meat put it in the Ziploc bag and just freeze it. She also re-use the bags(not sure if you should but I guess is cheaper this way). I am thinking of maybe Ziploc bag is good enough for me for now.

I won't be doing groceries once a week. Most like 2 to 3 times? Maybe more if I need to buy bigger items. Since I skytrain to and from work I think I will most likely pick up the stuff on my way home. Saves time.

Quote:
Sous-vide has changed our lives. Meat goes from freezer direct to the bath. It's a stupid-easy procedure since we add marinade to the meat before we freeze it. My wife tosses whatever protein into the bath, and all I have to do is give it a quick sear when I get home from the office.

EDIT: Another tip is to know the highs and lows for things you will buy. I don't care that something is on sale if the discount isn't significant. I have "Buy-it-Now" thresholds where something will hit a low enough price that I will stock up, if I need it, because the price isn't going to get any lower.
Just look at a few videos on Sous-vide cooking. So it seems like you prepare the meat (steak, chikcen wings, pork etc etc) and then add the Sous-vide to a tab or a pot of water to cook it? Since the Sous-vide have a set temperature it will cook it I guess...... Do you have to use a vacuum sealer with it or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
I cannot believe an Asian is actually asking this question. It should come naturally.........

Coupons, No Frills, Superstore and a really good rewards card(s). Oh, then there's little places like Banana Grove, Kim's Mart, Chong Lee, etc. Scan flyers for weekly deals and price match when shit sells out because of screamin' good deals. That's just the "tip" of the iceberg, but I cannot spend the time to post everything, because it's all so complicated and intertwined. I mean, I have a calendar of when shit will go on sale from previous months, years, etc............. anyway.
I guess when I purchase things before(mostly fruits and snacks) I just look at the on sale sign vs the regular price sign. If the sale is good I will just get it. My mom always shop at Superstore or Crystal mall since is close and price are OK. For bulk stuff is always Costco.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #782
MG1

Go shopping with your mom.......... mothers know best. Unless you don't get along with mom. Oh, never go shopping with dad. Asian dads don't do that kind of shit. Unless your dad happens to be MG1, gulolol.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:50 PM   #783
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
If anyone likes Krispy Kreme doughnuts:

Buy 1 dozen, get the 2nd for $0.80 It's for their 80th birthday

http://www.krispykreme.ca/get-ready-to-celebrate/

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2017, 09:09 PM   #784
MG1

O-Kay........... I'm gonna drive from ultra safe North Burnaby to ultra scary Surrey to get two dozen doughnuts?

Hells yeah............. it's not Richmond. Now that, my friends, is only for the brave, Gulolol.

Only if driving a Pershing tank, would I go into Richmond for a dozen Krispy Kreme.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #785
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just look at a few videos on Sous-vide cooking. So it seems like you prepare the meat (steak, chikcen wings, pork etc etc) and then add the Sous-vide to a tab or a pot of water to cook it? Since the Sous-vide have a set temperature it will cook it I guess...... Do you have to use a vacuum sealer with it or no?
You don't need a vacuum sealer as a ziploc will do (using water displacement technique). I find a vacuum sealer does do better at keeping proteins in the freezer, but that's personal preference.

The thing to remember about sous vide is that you're keeping a food item at a specific temperature for a specific amount of time. Depending on the combination, you can kill bacteria (essentially via pasteurization) while your meat looks raw. I wouldn't suggest going for the raw look, but for things that are tough to cook like Costco chicken breasts or a nice tenderloin you can ensure that it's cooked while keeping your desired "doneness" in the middle.

Sous Vide Safety: Salmonella and Bacteria - Amazing Food Made Easy

Of course, this is assuming you have the hour++ to prep your proteins (longer from the freezer). If you're looking for a quick ribeye sear in 6 minutes then sous vide is not for you. It's biggest asset is that it takes the guesswork out of ensuring your food is cooked correctly. I used to be a snob and avoid using my Anova for steak, but I've come around and think that sous-vide+quick sear on the grill has a better texture to me. Plus you can convince your friends that are scared of bacteria in raw meat with some science. Also, I use it to poach eggs and I will never ever go back to doing them one by one in a pot.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:40 AM   #786
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Free medium fries with purchases over $0.50 at McDonalds.

Check/download your McDonalds App
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #787
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaii View Post
If anyone likes Krispy Kreme doughnuts:

Buy 1 dozen, get the 2nd for $0.80 It's for their 80th birthday

Friday July 14th help us celebrate the 80th birthday of the Original Glazed! - Krispy Kreme Canada
Fuck fuck fuck... I'm on a carb-free diet but this is so tempting!!!
Old 07-14-2017, 12:56 PM   #788
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Saw this line while picking up my lunch at Richmond centre

http://i.imgur.com/qFflkIC.jpg

People lined up for free ice tea or something at starbucks...
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 01:17 PM   #789

^^ yea no thanks. I rather pay regular price than to line up.... my time are worth more than a few dollars.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2017, 01:24 PM   #790
MG1

I was just at the location on Cordova and Dundas/Powell Street. No line up.

All your base are belong to us.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 PM   #791
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

$5 off $25 fuel purchase ( statement credit) from Amex. If you sign up for speed pass app.
Tried it today.. It's awesome , added discount card, aeroplan, and cc to the app. No need to carry cards. Check ur mailboxes if you have Amex

+ @ 3x30lt purchase in 90 days. Get another discount card free
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #792
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
lol all asians.. surprise surprise
Old 08-02-2017, 05:00 PM   #793
MG1

Asian checking in............. half off large slurp tomorrow at 7-Eleven. Must have app, of course.

The 7-Eleven app is like a must have tool in your, frugal asian, arsenal, Gulolol.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #794
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

where to get at least 3 meter long fabric for cheap? Any info are appreciated
thank you. I need fabric to cover an area of 3m x 2.5m for some art project

Thank you
valent|n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:27 PM   #795
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,379 Times in 478 Posts
Quote:
Asian checking in............. half off large slurp tomorrow at 7-Eleven. Must have app, of course.

The 7-Eleven app is like a must have tool in your, frugal asian, arsenal, Gulolol.
nice and hot tomorrow so a slurpie is a must
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #796
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by valent|n0 View Post
where to get at least 3 meter long fabric for cheap? Any info are appreciated
thank you. I need fabric to cover an area of 3m x 2.5m for some art project

Thank you
Fabricland

Choose your Region

or any fabric store along Fraser Street around the 49th Ave area.

Sunset: Diverse clientele keeps fabric shop on its toes
Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM   #797
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:

I don't see this in my app. I see a large for the price of a medium slurpee but no 50% off.
dboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #798
MG1

Not in app for me but I got e-mail.

Edit: It is in my app, but on scan page. I slid to next screen to the right of BC Lion ticket promo and there it was.

Oh, free chocolate bar this Friday. I should check the app more carefully, lol.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:20 PM   #799
MG1

Fucking hell......... reading comprehension fail.

It starts on the 7th of August and goes till the 29th. One alert per week between those dates. In other words, you can only redeem once a week. The app keeps track.

As for the free chocolate bar, go early tomorrow, as in before noon. I wAnder if the 7-Eleven gas station on Lougheed at Bainbridge has the chocolate bars.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #800
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Fucking hell......... reading comprehension fail.

It starts on the 7th of August and goes till the 29th. One alert per week between those dates. In other words, you can only redeem once a week. The app keeps track.

As for the free chocolate bar, go early tomorrow, as in before noon. I wAnder if the 7-Eleven gas station on Lougheed at Bainbridge has the chocolate bars.
i'm assuming only the royal oak/kingsway location, but its $1 large slurpees there today
impulseX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: