REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #76
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsZ24 View Post
Once you become a journeyman in certain trades you can make pretty good money. From what I see with alot of companies in the lower mainland there isn't much overtime. Alberta is the place to be to make the big bucks with loads of overtime.
Saskatchewan is boom right now. Pot Ash, Oil and Construction all going hard.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #77
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Annual income: 60k
Field of employment: automotive
Where do you live: Surrey
Single/married/couple: serious relationship
Rent/own: own
Investment: Tfsa, rrsp and Csb.

I wish I could've started earlier in my 20s with the investments and my career but I'm content/happy with my life. But if I pinched my pennies in my 20s I would have totally missed out in all the great experiences and the crazy fun times that I've been through.
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #78
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DsZ24 View Post
Once you become a journeyman in certain trades you can make pretty good money. From what I see with alot of companies in the lower mainland there isn't much overtime. Alberta is the place to be to make the big bucks with loads of overtime.
The other thing with getting to journeyman is some companies will let you contract... = less taxes

contract pipefitter with my company is making $53.50 hr regular time and $79.50 overtime..

I doubt you can do that in BC though..
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 PM   #79
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Annual income: currently 0k
Field of employment: electrician
Where do you live? coquitlam
Single/couple/married? couple
Renting/own? Own
Investments:tfsa, rrsp

as a journeyman...the money can be really good ...but the job market has been real slow (atleast for me) , hopefully things will pick up....make sure you guys save your money for a rainy day
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #80
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jegglez View Post
Why the fuck is everyone so BALLING here

Its only the ballers posting in here, you won't see some guy coming out saying he's 25 and making 15-20k and live at home

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #81
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604nguyen View Post
Annual income: currently 0k
Field of employment: electrician
Where do you live? coquitlam
Single/couple/married? couple
Renting/own? Own
Investments:tfsa, rrsp

as a journeyman...the money can be really good money...but the job market has been real slow (atleast for me) , hopefully things will pick up....make sure you guys save your money for a rainy day

I estimate for a company here, every job I bid there is 8-15 general contractors (not all I bid). Then within those generals I'll compete against another 10-20 subs, getting jobs is so hard.

My dad is in Regina right now. He's only bidding large jobs like Hospitals, schools, police stations, high rises and things like that. Usually 2-3 Generals and 2-3 subs. The problem isn't getting work it's finding guys to work for you.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #82
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
I bet there are Asian kids that get more in a month for allowance then I make in 6. I could afford payments on a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, but then I would have to live at home rent free.

Hmm wait a second......
Posted via RS Mobile
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #83
I subscribe to Revscene

a lot of it is discipline and actively taking time out of your day to enjoy the small things.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #84
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
Its only the ballers posting in here, you won't see some guy coming out saying he's 25 and making 15-20k and live at home
Revscene isn't the typical import forum, consider that.

If this were a Civic forum, I'm certain that not only would this thread not have progressed, but there would be many people with very low incomes and directionless lives. The people fitting that description who join Revscene do not stick around, in part because as a community we shun them, but also because we tend to discuss issues with more gravity than drift sluts and whether to buy Rota or XXR wheels. Think about it, I can't honestly think of a member who isn't either a student or professional of some degree.

Annual Income: Currently, 20k. Formerly, 90k.
Field of Employment: Currently, student. Formerly, construction foreman.
Where do you live: Abbotsford.
Single/Couple/Married: Single.
Renting/Owning: Renting.
Investment: TFSA, stocks, silver.

How do I get by?
I don't buy into the disposable materialistic practices than seem to define our society, especially younger generations. I don't own multiple pairs of trendy $300 jeans, I've listened to the same Ipod while studying since high school, and I don't go to Starbucks everyday. I don't need to spend money to be entertained, there are countless enjoyable free activities. I also live outside Vancouver, and can say, my rent is a full $1000 less a month than the average in this thread as a result. It means I drive 45 minutes to campus, but trips into Vancouver aren't that long of a drive on weekends since there's very little traffic.

My income dropped like a stone, but I'm twice as happy now as I was then.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #85
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
As expected, only the high income earners have posted here. I have friends who make mid-6 figures, but I also have friends who make 40K.

I firmly believe that my post most accurately reflects the career progression of most university office drones.
Posted via RS Mobile
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #86
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
There's also a lot of ballers on Revscene who aren't going to just blatantly post publicly what they make.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #87

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
There's also a lot of ballers on Revscene who aren't going to just blatantly post publicly what they make.
bcrdukes is one of them.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #88
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
^
Yeah right.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #89
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over9K View Post
^^ Yea, I was gonna say that too...

I guess it must be an asian thing.

Seriously, how are some of you 20 year olds making so much? When I was in my early twenties I took Mechanical Engineering and that shit got me NOWHERE.
What do you do now?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #90
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Annual Income: ~20, formally... enough
Field of Employment: Currently, student, Grinded 2 jobs prior
Where do you live: Richmond
Investment: looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooool

right now im contemplating whether or not to say fuck school, go to bcit take a trade course and fuck off to alberta/sask to get my hours + make money.

I want a god damn skill so i can leave this fucking country hellhole piece city shitty weather depressing fuck damn shit

My goal is to move to singapore or socal.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #91
Banned By Establishment

Many won't say because they can't legally say how they make their incomes.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #92
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
Annual Income: ~20, formally... enough
Field of Employment: Currently, student, Grinded 2 jobs prior
Where do you live: Richmond
Investment: looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooool

right now im contemplating whether or not to say fuck school, go to bcit take a trade course and fuck off to alberta/sask to get my hours + make money.

I want a god damn skill so i can leave this fucking country hellhole piece city shitty weather depressing fuck damn shit

My goal is to move to singapore or socal.
forget the school, just move there and take up a trade you might be interested in, they will train you, im about to pack up and move to alberta for a change in career to become an electrician, my cousin just moved to grand praire and he took an electrican course prior and everything hes learned, he isnt putting to use, they are re-training him
Old 03-05-2012, 09:17 PM   #93
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
forget the school, just move there and take up a trade you might be interested in, they will train you, im about to pack up and move to alberta for a change in career to become an electrician
im waiting till i get accepted to a nursing program. the 6 months i have free (because i get accepted in january for september semester) will be the deciding factor if i want to go back to school, and since i have a few connections in oil industry (friends have dads that are ceo's of drilling companies, or have positions in some pretty tropical places) im going to work that 6 months.

I'm a grinder/hard worker. I've worked since i was 14 and have worked 12 hour days from 19-24 6 days a week.

I'll do any trade as long as it's a skill.

The argument right now is do I want to start making money now but have to get dirty, or make money in the future and have a guaranteed position anywhere in the world, and have an easier life.

also fuck school somedays. How is learning ecology have any relation to becoming a fucking nurse?

fucking shit.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #94
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,449 Times in 1,438 Posts
Unless you are , it will be interesting to know and share what's your SO or total household annual income. It's sad to see girls these days can make more than guys
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #95
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by asian_XL View Post
Unless you are , it will be interesting to know and share what's your SO or total household annual income. It's sad to see girls these days can make more than guys
girls in general are huge fucking jewbags and try to act like they have the income of a 12 year old, while laughing at you and calling you a poor ass for not paying for dinner.

fuck women.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #96
RS controls my life!

Annual Income: 30k
Field of Employment: 2nd year HD Apprentice
Where do you live: Coquitlam
Single/Couple/Married: Single
Renting/Owning: live at home
Investment:nooooooooope

Trying to save up to buy a place, but that's not really working out. I spend what I make mostly on tools and equipment for work. The rest towards bills, my car and going out once in a while.

To the guys working out of town, how did you get started in the industry? Did you just pack up, move north and find a job when you get there or were you able to secure a job before moving? I'm very interested in working out of town but don't know where to start,any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
jack_dangerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:47 PM   #97
Banned By Establishment

Jesus, 30k a yr as a 2nd year? A 1st year I work with made over 150k last year. He worked lots of OT though. I heard Shell was offering a 50k signing bonus to 2nd year hd and up mechanics. They are up at kearl. I applied while I was living in Calgary.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #98
NLY
Helps you change your flat, doesn't hit on your girlfriend while doing so

Thanked 1,756 Times in 278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman-19 View Post
Many won't say because they can't legally say how they make their incomes.
Posted via RS Mobile
bingo

2016-2017 Revscene Fantasy Basketball Champion

Last edited by NLY; 03-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
NLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #99

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Annual income: mid 40s
Field of employment: Software Developer (mobile games and webapps)
Where do you live? South Vancouver.
Single/couple/married? Couple
Renting/own? Living at home, not paying rent
Investments: Starting my savings account

Right now I'm trying to get into the habit of saving my money. I was never a good saver and was a lot better a spending my money. I used to work part time (weekends and inbetween sems) while I went to school at BCIT. All that money usually went to was gas, video games, food, and electronics. I didn't really consider saving any of it since at the time I thought that it was impossible due to how small my income was (probably around 2-300/paycheck) but I definitely could've cut back a lot and put that money towards something else.

I'm working as a mobile developer now and I've been getting some steady income. I've started to spend a lot less and I'm thinking a bit more before just buying things. I do have a few more expenses now. I work in Port Moody and live in Vancouver so I spend about $50/week on gas. I'm paying off my car (0% interest) and also paying for the insurance.

Good thing is that I'm still living at home and my parent's aren't in a rush to kick me out. I really do want to move out though and to see how it is to make it on my own.

Even with my money going towards my car, I'm trying to put what's left over into a savings account and eventually into RRSPs. Which I'll then use to invest in the stock market.

My coworkers been telling me to invest into higher risk stocks if I were to use the RRSP since I won't be able to touch that anyways unless I'll be using it for another investment (ie: condo/house). Would this be something I should look into doing?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #100
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,454 Times in 987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post

fuck women.
thats the point.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: