REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-04-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Elantra Touring?

My wife is looking for a car, I was going to her a Matrix a year or two old but then I realized Hyundai has 0% on right now. Toyota does as well but that's only good for 3 years. Price wise the Matrix and the Touring GLS are almost identical.

Styling wise it's nice for what it is IMO, 5 year warranty on more then just the power train. Quite comparable to the Matrix, the interior is a lot nicer IMO. Anyone own one or have family members that own one?

Opinions?

Edit: I put this in the wrong forum could a mod please move it.
Advertisement

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 03-04-2012 at 09:51 AM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Im financing the ET right now..

very roomy in the front and back seats. trunk space is good..

i tested the milage, full tank (i put it $55, but it wasnt 100% full, the noozle didnt click) and i got 410km on that tank... so milage was ok..

I paid a bit extra and got the 7 years warranty as well as insurance for 7 years.

I got the GL model, didnt want the extras like moonroof, BT.. just the basics plus A/C is more then enough for me.

The noise is pretty loud in cabin, especially on bumpy surface (like on knight st on the right lane going into vancouver)

0% was first thing on my list, at the time I was looking (summer last year) there werent make options available. Ford and a few others but it was for 5 years 0%.. Kia was also doing 7 years 0% but i didnt really like their cars..

Few months after I got the ET, Mazda was doing 0%... If i waited, I could have gotten a Mazda instead.. but Im very happy with this car..

Last edited by FerrariEnzo; 03-04-2012 at 10:00 AM.
FerrariEnzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

If you're planning on getting the Hyundai, wait a little as the new model is arriving soon. It's completely new (Engine, design, transmission, etc.).

Hyundai i30 Gains the Elantra GT Moniker for North America [28 Photos] - Carscoop
VK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Fyi there is a new model Coming next year. Worth the wait imo, looks better and has better mileage
Posted via RS Mobile
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

yea the Elantra GT is nice... but are they going to offer 0% for 5 or 7 years?
new models dont usually go for 0% and i think thats what OP wants..
Old 03-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #6
Old School RS

Thanked 3,955 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
My wife is looking for a car, I was going to her a Matrix a year or two old but then I realized Hyundai has 0% on right now. Toyota does as well but that's only good for 3 years. Price wise the Matrix and the Touring GLS are almost identical.

Opinions?
The Toyota will have substantially better resale value down the road, certainly enough of a premium to offset 0% financing vs say 3.9% if all else is equal. Ultimately you should buy the one you prefer, a few hundred bucks is not worth compromising your choice, but if it is purely a financial decision, I think you're better off with the Toyota.

Hope this helps,
Mark
Old 03-04-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,223 Times in 1,025 Posts
I drove the Elantra Touring for 3 weeks while we were waiting for my dad's Genesis Coupe to arrive (he didn't want to have anything to do with the Elantra).

Gas mileage was meh, wasn't too great of a saving compared to the Highlander I have. Ride is stiff as hell, Hyundai still has some ways to go in terms of suspension tuning. Also it was a little noisy, engine and road noise.

Complaining asides, the interior is huge, very roomy and airy. Sightlines were not bad. Everything you need was there so no complaints there either.

If you can get it cheap on top of 0% financing, its a good buy to beat around for 5 years but I would have some doubts about longevity, it is an older design Hyundai, not their new uber stuff.

And right, the new Elantra hatch is coming for next year. If you need tons of space in a not very big car or need a cheap new car RIGHT NOW, get the Elantra right now. Otherwise I don't see a point to not wait a few months for the new one as it should be better in every aspect. Or you can get a Skyactiv Mazda 3.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

My sister has an Elantra Touring. She loves it, tons of room, good sightlines, nicely equipped. I drove it a few times and found the engine was a little noisy, but otherwise it was a pretty nice car around the city. No major complaints. Gas mileage as other posters have noted is only average.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
My aunty just bought the car and I drove it for a little bit.

The steering wheel is rather small and is slippery. And the steering wheel was the Y shape so you couldn't drive with your hand directly in the bottom middle part which I like to do. I like steering wheels like this.. where you can place your hand at "6oclock", but yeah, that's just personal preference.

the drive itself was as good as $22k can get I guess? I didn't like it though. I couldn't see myself driving it every day just based on the drive and handling. Also, there isn't much power to get you going imo.

I was also surprised about the mileage as well. I would have thought it would have been better on gas. (this was just based on the on board estimation guide)
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #10

Went and looked at them but after taking into consideration the fact there bringing out a redesigned one next year I'm going to pass.

The Elantra Sedan however isn't bad and has already been redesigned. The interest rate on these isn't actually that bad either, it's not 0% on the term I want but still good.

I'm going to go to the dealership tomorrow. In the past I've used a broker to do the dealing for me but I think I'll do it myself this time. My question is has anyone here bought an Elantra GLS in the last little bit? If you wouldn't mind can you tell me what you paid? I know there hot sellers right now so there isn't a ton of room for negotiation.

There listed at $20,999. I was thinking of offering $20,500 plus I want my first service paid for. I was going to give the first option to the guy who helped me out when I looked at the touring but if he doesn't go for it I'll let him know I'm going to see what some other dealers will do before I decide. Then call around and see if anyone else can do that and if not what they can do.

Reasonable?

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #11

if your going to finance it, chances are you arent going to get much off the price tag.. you could negotiate for extras like fog lights or trunk tray or something...

I like the touring for the space it offers plus 0% for 7 years is also not bad.. I have 3 kids and it fits 3 car seats perfectly still with room to move around in.. not alot of cars offer this kinda space for 3 car seats side by side by side... the back is also nice and roomy... with 3 kids, grocery is a pain...

I would wait til sept if your not in too much of hurry.. the Elantra GT will be out by then... sexy looking little hatch..
Old 03-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #12

Everything I want comes standard. I'm not really interested in things like trunk trays or cargo nets. I'll have to see what there willing to do. If they won't move at all I'll try and get in touch with the broker I have used to use in the past and see if he can do better. I'd be surprised if there was no movement at all, you get dealers competing for the sale and they'll almost always move at least a little trying to steal the sale from the otherguy.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I remember reading that owners are not thrilled about the fuel economy with their Elantra's. I read an article in R&T or C&D and it showed that real life day to day fuel economy is nowhere near what is advertised (they rarely are), but also among the bottom of the segment.

I don't have the source for that article, but just a heads up.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #14

Went and signed the papers, got her what I wanted for the price I wanted. No BS, no dicking around. Probably the easiest vehicle purchase I ever made. Something to be said for being straight to the point. I called him and told him this is what I want you do it we got a deal, he did and we did.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #15

you got the elantra sedan?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
you got the elantra sedan?
Yes, she wanted white so have to wait 1-2 weeks but she's happy. Happy wife, happy life.

This post thanked by: