REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Iceland considering switch to Canadian dollar (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664146-iceland-considering-switch-canadian-dollar.html)

too_slow 03-05-2012 11:55 AM

Off-topic but I've always wanted to go here:

http://i.thestar.com/images/a3/06/39...44d7fc38b.jpeg

godwin 03-05-2012 12:50 PM

For those hankering for Icelandic beauties.. One of Iceland's national asset is their gene banks / data, since everyone is so closely related.. most people have kids before they get married in their teens. They actually license their gene data out to researchers.

It might a be a bit difficult for a stereotypical Asian RSer to get into the game. ;)

godwin 03-05-2012 12:52 PM

Denmark might have something to say about it (Iceland's former overlords).. but I think that's pretty much it.

Icelanders are fiercely independent.. so honestly politicians might say one thing but the locals will not like it very much.

Iceland is not that big.. so I don't see any direct benefit to the Big 5 banks in terms of customers.. AND it is not like Iceland is the back waters like NWT where there is no ATM machine for miles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7819559)
All great points that I didn't think of or read. Any risks?

tiger_handheld 03-05-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7819640)
Denmark might have something to say about it (Iceland's former overlords).. but I think that's pretty much it.

Icelanders are fiercely independent.. so honestly politicians might say one thing but the locals will not like it very much.

Iceland is not that big.. so I don't see any direct benefit to the Big 5 banks in terms of customers.. AND it is not like Iceland is the back waters like NWT where there is no ATM machine for miles.

300k population like someone said above.
300k bank fees / mortgages/ loc's / investments / etc. etc. the $ value of all banking products is probably close to about 1-2billion. that some nice top line growth for the top 5 banks

godwin 03-05-2012 01:49 PM

Again you are assuming Iceland doesn't have existing banking infrastructure... they do (which got them into trouble in the first place).. Adopting Canadian $ as a sovereign currency doesn't automatically mean the Big5 has access to the market in Iceland. In fact, if they go they will have a huge learning curve as Icelanders are more mobile than our typical Canadian banking customer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7819689)
300k population like someone said above.
300k bank fees / mortgages/ loc's / investments / etc. etc. the $ value of all banking products is probably close to about 1-2billion. that some nice top line growth for the top 5 banks

belka 03-05-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7819590)

Don't ever try to see what is at the bottom of those pools. :heckno:

murd0c 03-05-2012 02:55 PM

I'm not sure how this works so I have to ask. If they do decide to go with the CAD what happens to there current money and debts? I have no clue what there dollar is worth now but its not like we would give them a bunch of cash how would they buy it from us I guess I'm saying?

SkinnyPupp 03-05-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7819361)
Iceland is nice and no ice
Greenland is not nice and has ice

:rukidding: with the naming

BTW, i hear Icelandic girls are hot!

http://img.list09.com/wordpress/wp-c...orisdottir.jpg

Crossfit girls :megusta:

murd0c 03-05-2012 03:14 PM

WOW thats fricken hot

gars 03-05-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by too_slow (Post 7819590)

I went there on my way home from London. It's pretty interesting, but also a little overated. I definitely didn't feel any health benefits from soaking there, and it wasn't particularly hot either. Just a lukewarm bath that's a funny colour.

Btw, it's actually pretty cheap to fly to Europe via Icelandair, and you basically get a free stop over in iceland. Stay a few days, and experience it. I want to go back to see the northern lights.

Hehe 03-05-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7819761)
I'm not sure how this works so I have to ask. If they do decide to go with the CAD what happens to there current money and debts? I have no clue what there dollar is worth now but its not like we would give them a bunch of cash how would they buy it from us I guess I'm saying?

For Canadian, there really isn't much difference. Iceland's central bank would decide a rate that it would convert their krona into CAD and usually provides a deadline of such conversion. Bank of Canada would exchange tons of CAD cash for something of equal value (gold, other currencies like USD, Euro.. etc) and usually sell them on the market to avoid any sudden shock to CAD value.

In essence, Iceland would give up monetary policy (as it can no longer affect the amount of money in circulation) for stability (of CAD) for its people.

These are strategies often used by financial less stabled countries to avoid inflation.

But from an economic point of view though, I don't see it being good for Iceland. CAD is heavily dependent on natural resources, something Iceland lacks. I'd say they would be better off with USD or Euro.

Brianrietta 03-05-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2Theft (Post 7819568)
After the hard fought battle that iceland fought to kick the bankers out of their system, I find it impossible to believe they would so blindly sign onto another fiat currency.

And yet you have no problems believing that the United States is sending an aircraft carrier to the gulf so that Iran can sink it so that they don't have to disassemble it.

:rukidding:

Death2Theft 03-05-2012 07:54 PM

Crazy how wide her mid section still is even with abs. That there is a viking woman!
Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 7819773)

Death2Theft 03-05-2012 07:54 PM

Why else are they sending the oldest most outdated worthless rust bucket carrier out there? To make sure no one else in the middle east gets nukes? LOLZ.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eugene (Post 7820049)
And yet you have no problems believing that the United States is sending an aircraft carrier to the gulf so that Iran can sink it so that they don't have to disassemble it.

:rukidding:

godwin 03-05-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hehe (Post 7819859)
But from an economic point of view though, I don't see it being good for Iceland. CAD is heavily dependent on natural resources, something Iceland lacks. I'd say they would be better off with USD or Euro.

Iceland's key resource is their energy (geothermal) hence the existence of aluminium plants, tourism and fish resources. Kinda simliar to BC.

I think they should do with Yuan.. since the Chinese tried to buy them anyways. Who wants to use USD or Euro?

Honestly the populace would rather go with Danish Krone than Canadian $.

Ecuador is another country that is based on USD.

falcon 03-06-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7819699)
Again you are assuming Iceland doesn't have existing banking infrastructure... they do (which got them into trouble in the first place).. Adopting Canadian $ as a sovereign currency doesn't automatically mean the Big5 has access to the market in Iceland. In fact, if they go they will have a huge learning curve as Icelanders are more mobile than our typical Canadian banking customer.

The only way I can really see this working on Canada's end is if the Big5 take over/merge the Icelandic Banks and implement our system and banks there. That is the only way to really guarantee the same thing doesn't happen again. I see it as a positive for Iceland too, because they are not only getting a strong currency but also a proven banking system linked to one of the strong world economies.

godwin 03-06-2012 09:54 AM

You are missing CMHC.. there is no such thing in Iceland... the one thing that current gov is so proud to claim that will prevent the same thing from happening here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcon (Post 7820545)
The only way I can really see this working on Canada's end is if the Big5 take over/merge the Icelandic Banks and implement our system and banks there. That is the only way to really guarantee the same thing doesn't happen again. I see it as a positive for Iceland too, because they are not only getting a strong currency but also a proven banking system linked to one of the strong world economies.

Sid Vicious 03-06-2012 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bloodmack (Post 7819402)
i hate it when ppl say hot girls come from this country.. dude theres always hot girls in EVERY country.

even pakistan and afghanistan?

Manic! 03-06-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 7820864)
even pakistan and afghanistan?

Yes.

http://www.nypost.com/rw/nypost/2011...c--300x450.jpg

dinosaur 03-06-2012 01:51 PM

the comments are the most interesting.

Is Canada the world's next superpower? – Erin Burnett OutFront - - CNN.com Blogs