REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Iceland considering switch to Canadian dollar (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664146-iceland-considering-switch-canadian-dollar.html)

minoru_tanaka 03-05-2012 06:58 AM

Iceland considering switch to Canadian dollar

Iceland considering switch to Canadian dollar | CTV News

We're taking over

FerrariEnzo 03-05-2012 07:01 AM

Iceland is nice and no ice
Greenland is not nice and has ice

:rukidding: with the naming

BTW, i hear Icelandic girls are hot!

minoru_tanaka 03-05-2012 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7819361)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...hanna_Vala.jpg

StylinRed 03-05-2012 07:10 AM

hope they dont plan on joining canada what with their burdens ;)

FerrariEnzo 03-05-2012 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7819365)

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7819368)

with girls like that... I dont mind the burden!!!:fuckyea:

murd0c 03-05-2012 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7819368)

I would trade Quebec for them any day :fuckyea:

FerrariEnzo 03-05-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 7819375)
I would trade Quebec for them any day :fuckyea:

Quebec?? what is Quebec :whistle:

bloodmack 03-05-2012 08:04 AM

i hate it when ppl say hot girls come from this country.. dude theres always hot girls in EVERY country.

TheNewGirl 03-05-2012 08:22 AM

It's funny, I was telling someone about this months ago and they didn't believe me that Iceland (or any country) would consider our dollar.

minoru_tanaka 03-05-2012 08:31 AM

Soon to be Canadian cuisine
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...horramatur.jpg

sonick 03-05-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo (Post 7819361)
Iceland is nice and no ice
Greenland is not nice and has ice

:rukidding: with the naming

lol hot chick from Mighty Ducks 2:

"Greenland is full of ice, Iceland is very nice"

RacePace 03-05-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7819365)

I can get behind this change

unit 03-05-2012 09:01 AM

iceland is a tiny little economy, i cant see the harm in them using our dollar.

nack 03-05-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7819414)
Spoiler!

if you've tried it, it's actually pretty damn tasty

minoru_tanaka 03-05-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jivan6 (Post 7819468)
if you've tried it, it's actually pretty damn tasty

Do you eat the brains?

Gridlock 03-05-2012 10:24 AM

I don't know much about international monetary policy.Is there a risk of further ongoing problems with their economy causing problems in terms of becoming canada's problems?

As far as I can imagine, they would pick a date where their currency(the krona?) becomes pegged in value to the canadian dollar, the population exchanges their krona for the cdn dollar and life carries on. The krona ceases to exist.

I see a bunch of upsides for iceland in that, minus losing a pretty big part of their sovereignty in terms of national monetary policy. They get to have a stable currency in operation taking some pressure off their problems.

The part that I don't quite get is what benefits there are for us? Obviously good to have more of your money in circulation, but I can't see how we'd be immune to their economy going from "shit" to "worse than shit" which is a definite possibility. They'd now be doing that in our money instead of theirs.

nack 03-05-2012 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7819476)
Do you eat the brains?

never had the head before.....always freaked me out :pokerface:

minoru_tanaka 03-05-2012 10:29 AM

I don't know the benefits for us but they only have about 300K pop so less than Surrey

tiger_handheld 03-05-2012 10:32 AM

If anyone has watched Phelm 123 with Travolta, you know that Iceland is famous for ASS models.

tiger_handheld 03-05-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlock (Post 7819506)
I don't know much about international monetary policy.Is there a risk of further ongoing problems with their economy causing problems in terms of becoming canada's problems?

As far as I can imagine, they would pick a date where their currency(the krona?) becomes pegged in value to the canadian dollar, the population exchanges their krona for the cdn dollar and life carries on. The krona ceases to exist.

I see a bunch of upsides for iceland in that, minus losing a pretty big part of their sovereignty in terms of national monetary policy. They get to have a stable currency in operation taking some pressure off their problems.

The part that I don't quite get is what benefits there are for us? Obviously good to have more of your money in circulation, but I can't see how we'd be immune to their economy going from "shit" to "worse than shit" which is a definite possibility. They'd now be doing that in our money instead of theirs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by minoru_tanaka (Post 7819513)
I don't know the benefits for us but they only have about 300K pop so less than Surrey

Pure economic benefit.

Bank - Big 5 canadian banks now have more ppl to serve

Exports/Imports - Iceland is known for aluminum and fish industries. Canadian biz could soon have access to quality seafood without exchange risk

Reserves - Iceland + Canada control well over 50% of the arctic and the oil that is there. HUGE potential for O&G companies in AB.

Manic! 03-05-2012 10:47 AM

Good news. Now we just need to find some place warm in the Caribbean to do the same.

Gridlock 03-05-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 7819529)
Good news. Now we just need to find some place warm in the Caribbean to do the same.

we tried.

Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TL;DR-there have been several attempts to admit them as either a province or territory. It never really got off the ground.

Really, it would open up more problems than it would solve. Same reason Peurto Rico joining the US as a full state runs into problems.

Gridlock 03-05-2012 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7819524)
Pure economic benefit.

Exports/Imports - Iceland is known for aluminum and fish industries. Canadian biz could soon have access to quality seafood without exchange risk

Reserves - Iceland + Canada control well over 50% of the arctic and the oil that is there. HUGE potential for O&G companies in AB.

All great points that I didn't think of or read. Any risks?

OTG-ZR2 03-05-2012 11:28 AM

ditch the krona for the loonie.... and call it a kroney?

Death2Theft 03-05-2012 11:30 AM

After the hard fought battle that iceland fought to kick the bankers out of their system, I find it impossible to believe they would so blindly sign onto another fiat currency.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7819524)
Pure economic benefit.