REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   ATM gave wrong amount of cash (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664199-atm-gave-wrong-amount-cash.html)

Amuse 03-05-2012 10:33 PM

ATM gave wrong amount of cash

So tonight I was getting money out from an ATM at a bank after closing. It gave the wrong amount of cash, giving a $10 bill instead of a $20. When I show up tomorrow, is there a way to verify that they gave the wrong bill or will they say I have no proof?

Iceman-19 03-05-2012 10:34 PM

They have video cameras, should be able to verify.
Posted via RS Mobile

Prolowtone 03-05-2012 10:36 PM

Da fack? I I thought the machines didn't give 10's... Someone messed up lol, But yes they should be able to check the camera on the atm

jepho 03-05-2012 10:36 PM

they will know from transaction records if it gave too much or too little.
happened to me before.

TRDood 03-05-2012 10:39 PM

Sometimes the cash person mistakenly slip in a wrong bill in the compartment. They will reimburse you when show receipt of the transaction. Just a hassle having to go back.
Posted via RS Mobile

Alphamale 03-05-2012 11:07 PM

They will launch an investigation that will take 1-2 weeks. It's not an issue if you're not lying about anything and more often than not, they will credit the amount to you.

zonda_s 03-05-2012 11:12 PM

^ TRDood's right. anyone can makes mistakes even people working at a bank. true story. i work in a bank. we're all human.

if it's just a single $10 bill in the $20 compartment, it may be harder to prove than a bundle of $10s in the $20 compartment. there's also cameras and machine logs to go through in the case that it's just a single bill. it's definitely worth a shot.

TRDood 03-05-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zonda_s (Post 7820371)
^ TRDood's right. anyone can makes mistakes even people working at a bank. true story. i work in a bank. we're all human.

if it's just a single $10 bill in the $20 compartment, it may be harder to prove than a bundle of $10s in the $20 compartment. there's also cameras and machine logs to go through in the case that it's just a single bill. it's definitely worth a shot.

Yea, I used to work at a bank and serviced the ATMs. There shouldn't be an investigation for $10 unless the branch outsource its ATM services to a 3rd party. All banks should have a temprorary account or loss account to afford $10 short/over.
Posted via RS Mobile

PiuYi 03-05-2012 11:48 PM

i always thought if i got the wrong amount from ATM i'd quickly wave it in front of the security camera to show them clearly i in fact got the wrong bill

Drow 03-05-2012 11:52 PM

it really depends on the branch manager. i'm sure they would just give you the 20 as they'd see 10 bux is a small price to pay for good customer service.

this was probably due to someone accidentally bundling a 10 into a stack of 20's

yray 03-06-2012 12:19 AM

inb4 scotiabank atms

The ones at SFU gives out fives according to what I've heard.

AzNightmare 03-06-2012 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiuYi (Post 7820412)
i always thought if i got the wrong amount from ATM i'd quickly wave it in front of the security camera to show them clearly i in fact got the wrong bill

Lol. I thought of this too.
Whenever i'm taking the bills out of the ATM, I fan them out so that I, and the camera, can count to make sure I have the correct amount. Only because i'm paranoid.
Posted via RS Mobile

falcon 03-06-2012 04:23 AM

ATMS in Germany give out 5's, 10's, 20's, 50's and 100's. And it's always a variation unless you choose the "all 50's" option or whatever. Kinda weird but nice too... Don't have to break 100's like I did in Italy and Spain.

Vansterdam 03-06-2012 06:22 AM

got fucked over a atm once at a club

i withdraw 100$ and nothing came out

i wrote down the atm # and went to my bank and told them what happened

2-3 weeks later they called back and preety much said they cant do shit all cause the atm was with a different bank

harsh BS

CorneringArtist 03-06-2012 06:33 AM

HSBC Gives out 10's.... :pokerface:

flagella 03-06-2012 06:59 PM

I always do the fast $50 at HSBC atm.

drunkrussian 03-06-2012 07:38 PM

hey man i had this happen before. a machine took out $200 from my account and gave me $0 cash. heres what u do:
-call your bank immediately. ideally u want to have the receipt but if u dont doesnt matter just tell them the location of the atm
-they will start a case. when they count and balance the atm the next day they will see that it doesnt balance
-within 7 days ull have ur money back

just act quick
Posted via RS Mobile

drunkrussian 03-06-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7820564)

2-3 weeks later they called back and preety much said they cant do shit all cause the atm was with a different bank

harsh BS

wow wtf u got owned. im with pc and used a coast capital machine and they worked with them to get my money back. as long as u act quick so they can act when they cout the funds the next day u shud be fine
Posted via RS Mobile

b0unce. [?] 03-06-2012 09:03 PM

im so chinsey that i'll only go to my bank's atm to avoid the service charges and to avoid hassles that might come with by using other banks atm's

im considering switching to CIBC strictly to take advantage of 7-11's :lol

drunkrussian 03-06-2012 09:11 PM

^switch to pc for no bank fees, and u can use superstore, cibc bank and 7-11 atms
Posted via RS Mobile

trollface 03-06-2012 10:06 PM

My buddy got $40 EXTRA from one of those portable ATMS during the Olympics.

smoothie. 03-07-2012 12:51 AM

Im happy with vancity.

lots of branches and no dings at other credit unions, and hsbc :)

OP, hope to hear a good story

ImportPsycho 03-07-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7820564)

harsh BS

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkrussian (Post 7821301)
wow wtf u got owned. im with pc and used a coast capital machine and they worked with them to get my money back. as long as u act quick so they can act when they cout the funds the next day u shud be fine
Posted via RS Mobile

same here, I used CIBC atm with TD card
didn't get my $100, talked to the teller right away.
They told me they'll do the count at the end of the day blar blar blar
weeks go, by nothing
then tells me I gotta take it up with TD since it was TD account debit card.
TD told me it's not their problem since it's not their ATM

Eff-1 03-07-2012 05:01 PM

You guys can continue to fight it. Because your ATM transactions between two different financial institutions were done over the Interac network, it comes with a guarantee of no liability:

nterac Zero Liability Policy

The Interac Zero Liability protects you when using Interac debit services*. You will not be liable for losses resulting from circumstances beyond your control. See your financial institution for details.

* Interac Debit, Interac Flash, Interac Cash, Interac Online and Cross-Border Debit

So continue to pursue this with YOUR bank (not the other bank). It's no different than any other debit card transaction. If you had an issue, you would be dealing with your bank, not the retailer.

JesseBlue 03-10-2012 08:07 AM

hmm i tend not to use cash anymore..i just use paypass...my wallet is the probably the smallest too...i only have 6 cards in it...