REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #76
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,776 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
People live under rocks and are sheltered most of their lives. They need these MTV styled videos to motivate them and to get them riled up for a cause. Otherwise, their lives would just be plain boring. Whether or not their cause is real or not, the point is, they did something, or so they THINK. If it makes them feel good about themselves, and if they can tell other people "look what I did to help poor kids," then it's all a good cause, right? Wrong.

Ultimately, if someone is going to take part in one of these viral campaigns, they need to do their own research and investigate the cause, the history and the organization. As we've unraveled from research already shown in this thread, this video was shot in 2003 and since then this problem has been eradicated or at least relieved a fair bit. Many sources have also reported that Kony is already dead. So what exactly are you achieving in this campaign if the goals have already been achieved years ago? Self-satisfaction? People able to say you took part in something good? Guess what, this Kony guy is a dime a dozen and if you're going to try and make a relief effort, make sure it's legitimate and you know what you're cause is, don't be ignorant and follow because X, Y and Z are doing it.
Well, from my newsfeed, most people that are reposting this are the same that repost online petitions and useless crap like that.

So, yeah.
Advertisement

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #77
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I actually feel glad that I haven't seen a single post on this on my facebook.. the only thing I know of it is the meme jokes posted in the NSFW thread, and this thread

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:22 PM   #78
This title intentionally left blank MOD

Pieces Of Mee

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #79
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Here's one of the co-founders, Jason Russell's, profile (as written on PMc):

Quote:
1: Who am I?

I am a rebel soul: dream evangelist. I am obsessed with people. I tell stories by making inspiring movies that move people’s emotions, and then I take those emotions and transform them into action. My middle name is Radical. I married my best friend. We have known each other since we were six and seven. I have a three-year-old boy named Gavin Danger & a one-year-old girl named Everley Darling. I truly believe I am the luckiest person on earth because of my family, friends and the ability to go to a dream factory every day for work.

2: What do you do and what project are you currently working on?

Touring a new Invisible Children movie called Tony. We will screen it to a direct audience of 500,000 people for the next three months. We will have a huge event on April 25th in which we will be going silent for 25 hours in order to raise funds and protect the child soldiers in Joseph Kony’s rebel army. I am also training for an Iron Man.

3: Where are you from and where are you going?

I am from San Diego California with an upbringing in musical theater. I am going to help end the longest running war in Africa, get Joseph Kony arrested & redefine international justice. Then I am going to direct a Hollywood musical. Then I am going to study theology & literature in Oxford, England, and then move to New York to start “The Academy” – which will be a school where the best creative young minds in the world attend.

4: Who is your biggest hero?

If Oprah, Steven Spielberg and Bono had a baby, I would be that baby.

5: What book is your bible?

East of Eden. No book will ever come as close to the love I have for that book. Timshel.

6: What are some things you love? And some things you hate?

I love:
Brewing my own beer, watching documentaries, bouncing on the bed with my children, traveling to undiscovered places, forgiveness, cheese and Mumford & Sons.

Hate:
Ignorance. Laziness. Injustice.

7: What is your raison d’ętre?

To do impossible things. And to see lives wake up to their true potential.

8: What is your favorite color?

Red. For every single reason you can think of. Love. Hate. Passion.

9: Who is your favorite comic book superhero?

Peter Pan.

10: What is your favorite NYC hot spot?

Little Branch.

11: What turns you on?

Pregnant women. (This is not a joke).

12: What would the last question of this questionnaire be if you were the one asking?

If you could meet anyone in the world, who would it be and what would you tell them?

I think he comes off as a narcissistic douchebag, but that's just me.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:45 PM   #80
I subscribe to Revscene

^ narcissistic *hipster* douchebag by the sounds of it.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #81
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Not as bad as pol pot who killed 1/3 (800,000 - 3 million people out of 7 million population) of the cambodia population alone with his army khmer rogue
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #82
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Not as bad as pol pot who killed 1/3 (800,000 - 3 million people out of 7 million population) of the cambodia population alone with his army khmer rogue
That's not important, they cannot be proven to have child soldiers and slaves. Children are much more marketable.
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #83
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
armed intervention?

probably send in war machine.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:09 PM   #84
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Invisible children have released a statement in response to the criticism:

InvisibleChildren

Good or bad, it seems they have the attention they were seeking. Interesting to see how this will develop.
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #85
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
So this guy takes his 4-5 year old son to a room and tries to tell him who Jospeh Kony is?

A young innocent little kid who doesn't even know what's good and bad is. He thinks it fucking star wars..

He's telling HIS OWN SON that he lives in a bad world where people like Joseph Kony takes children and forces them to use guns to shoot people.

How is that a fucking responsible parent? And that explains for him missing from his son's early life by "fighting bad guys"?

Yet this is the guy who's going to be part of the change?
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #86
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
^ i fail to see your point here

He's trying to explain it to his son on a level that he can understand it at. I personally think he did a great job.

The problem is people seem to shelter their kids rather then educate them. When you think something is bad or inappropriate for your kids it's better just to completely shut them off from it right?

Take sex and contraception for example. Parents in the US were outraged about sex-ed being taught to students at such a young age. Even more mind boggling was the parents stance on the use of contraception; believing that it was some anti pro-life device. When the numbers were added up which kids do you think had a higher rate of teen pregnancy and STDs? The educated or uneducated kids?

Carl Sagan said, rather then discouraging a child, it's better to educated (properly) them and feed their curiosity. I don't mean tell them that the warlords are forcing kids his age to mutilate their buddies. I mean educate them on a level they can understand.
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 AM   #87

Thanked 1,324 Times in 249 Posts
Yes, these guys could be using this viral marketing campaign for their own benefits.
Yes, they could be making matters worse in Uganda for people.
Yes, the goals may not come to fruition.

But nothing will change, nothing will happen if nobody brought this to to the attention of millions of people around the western world. It'll just get dragged for another few decades. Yes, this issue has been widely reported before this video came online, but what harm is there by creating awareness of Kony's wrongdoings? Sharing the video or donating to their cause probably won't do anything. The goals of these guys probably will not be realized, but then again, sitting idly and doing nothing helps either. Would it not be better to be aware than oblivious?

Last edited by rawr; 03-08-2012 at 12:30 AM.
rawr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:25 AM   #88
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #89
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlines_Daily View Post
Invisible children have released a statement in response to the criticism:

InvisibleChildren

Good or bad, it seems they have the attention they were seeking. Interesting to see how this will develop.
Re-up on a fucking good read. Well written with some personal insights on the issue.

If you're argument is that "it brings attention to the matter", then I suggest you read this.

Edit: pffft. I quoted the wrong link.

I meant this article: Pieces Of Mee

Last edited by rsx; 03-08-2012 at 10:10 AM.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #90
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Razor Ramon HG, did you even read any of the pages?!

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 AM   #91
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
He's a Christian terrorist of a Christian terrorist organization, but we'll all just leave that out and simply say he's a war criminal

fuckin douches

Lol, just because it's called the "Lord's Resistance Army" does not make it a Christian organization. Give you head shake.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #92
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Lol, just because it's called the "Lord's Resistance Army" does not make it a Christian organization. Give you head shake.
Actually that's exactly what they are. Everything they do is in the name of christianity.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 03:43 AM   #93

80k a year only?? i'd want to be paid MORE if i was going into a dangerous country NONE of us will go and video tape everything i can, MORE if i had a son.
Anjew is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-08-2012, 05:57 AM   #94
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaxBundlez View Post
^ i fail to see your point here

He's trying to explain it to his son on a level that he can understand it at. I personally think he did a great job.

The problem is people seem to shelter their kids rather then educate them. When you think something is bad or inappropriate for your kids it's better just to completely shut them off from it right?

Take sex and contraception for example. Parents in the US were outraged about sex-ed being taught to students at such a young age. Even more mind boggling was the parents stance on the use of contraception; believing that it was some anti pro-life device. When the numbers were added up which kids do you think had a higher rate of teen pregnancy and STDs? The educated or uneducated kids?

Carl Sagan said, rather then discouraging a child, it's better to educated (properly) them and feed their curiosity. I don't mean tell them that the warlords are forcing kids his age to mutilate their buddies. I mean educate them on a level they can understand.
You definitely to see the point here. The problem here is

1) the kid is 4 - 5 years old. Do you think his father should be telling him about a third world country rebel?
2) his intention is not to try to teach his son but rather video record him for his social media to bring attention to kony. Viewers will see that when a cute little kid is judging the kony as a bad guy and what should be done to him. It's a tactic to make viewers agree with the video
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:06 AM   #95
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #96
Zombie Mod

IC responds
Spoiler!

EDIT: already posted further up

Last edited by Presto; 03-08-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Presto is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #97
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Found this on my FB wall.
It's too funny to not share this on RS. She made this post after I posted a meme mocking the Kony thing.

Alannah B
To the people ragging on the KONY 2012 campaign. How exactly are you making a difference? By trying to discredit the Invisible Children campaign? unfortunately not everything is free in this world so they obviously need spend money on things in order to spread the word. So if you're not going to spread the word at least don't hinder or discredit those who are ACTIVELY trying making a change.

Invisible Children | Kony2012

KONY 2012 - WATCH THE FILM
kony2012.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com
Joseph Kony is the world’s worst war criminal. KONY 2012 is a 24-minute film that explains everything he’s done and how he can be stopped. This year. #KONY2012
Like · · Share · 8 hours ago ·
2 people like this.

Evan P ‎9 years in Iraq and now you want to send troops over to fight some guerrilla war (this will be Vietnam all over again) in the African jungle over some warlord who has been missing for almost 6 years?

Do people understand how these things work? We don't just have an awareness wand to wave around and suddenly Kony appears. No, this man has been hiding in a jungle in which no military has ever even imagined entering. The outcome of military intervention will be a blood bath. Do yourself a favour and research just how dangerous the Congo really is, oh and there are two Congo's, so please pick the right one.

The only difference you're making is bringing napalm back to war. But hey, you're ACTIVELY making a change, and all change is good right?
2 hours ago · Like

Lauren Parker True that sister! Unfortunately there will ALWAYS be resistance with any sort of change. Either way, good or bad, this movement is being talking about. That's what matters!!
2 hours ago · Like

Evan P
Why the Kony documentary and Invisible Children are one-sided - please read. : politics -- Read now!
about an hour ago · Like

Lauren Parker Well well. That's an opinion if I've ever seen one. I realize this "war" is a dangerous one. But the Kony 2012 is about awareness. Strength in numbers. Like I said, no matter what, change will always bring about some sort of resistance and that is evident all over Facebook and these blogs. I say: fair enough, do your research before you join the movement, but GOSH people are looking way too into this. We're bringing a deserving criminal to justice. This is proof that one voice can make a difference by means of the butterfly effect. There is a reason this man is the #1 criminal in the world. There is a reason his name is on the top of that list. He is a bad man. Also, it is inevitable that change requires monetary support. As if anything is free in this world. T shirts and bracelets are means of propaganda and they AREN'T FREE. so yes I understand why they're asking for money. It makes perfect sense. Rather than resisting this join the numbers and make a difference where we can. We are strong and have all the resources to make change for the future. Criminals and war lords like Kony must know that they cannot get away with these sorts of I humane killings any more.
about an hour ago · Like

Evan P Read the article. Please.
about an hour ago · Like

Lauren Parker I did.
about an hour ago · Like

Evan P That article destroys every single point you tried to make in your response. I don't know what else any one could possible say to convince people just how destructive this "movement" will be.

You're not creating peace or stopping a war criminal, you're creating a new battleground in which you know none of the implications.

Please, and I ask you sincerely, read that article again. I know you think you're helping, but you're not and it isn't pessimistic people trying to convince you of this, it's well-informed people who have been working on this issue since the beginning.
about an hour ago · Like

Lauren Parker I did.
about an hour ago · Like

Evan P Well, lets go to the Congo and start a war then. Blood for blood, that's the pacifist way.
about an hour ago · Like

Lauren Parker Just another persons opinion. That's fine. We're all e titled to our own opinions. That's what makes the world a beautiful place. Our people are so educated that it's apparent that we will NEVER all agree. Just saying that our generation has the chance to make legitimate change. If this campaign truly works, it is proof that one small voice can make a huge difference not just locally but globally. It's inspirational to say the least. I say no more because I don' use Facebook to rant. Tata
about an hour ago · Like

Evan P ‎"Our people are so educated" - ahahahahaha

Have a good day.
about an hour ago · Unlike · 1
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #98
Zombie Mod

Women. Give them something emotional to overwhelm them into doing "something". My wife is like that, and knowing that, I countered with the links posted in this thread. Also, sent her the co-founder's profile, and suggested that he's a self-serving, narcissistic, hipster douchebag. That worked.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:06 AM   #99
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
hahah i tried to talk to a person about this and i respect for her especially when i caught her in a lie, sent her some responses from here and she said she read it already in an article.....
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:10 AM   #100
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Why can't these people not understand one simple concept; we aren't pro-Kony, we're just not pro-invisible children!

They act as if IV is a unique entity, the first group to stand up against Kony or the like, when that couldn't be further from the truth. IV is the group that got lucky with a video going viral, nothing more. There are more worthy charities, that are more well managed, with more practical plans of effecting change that deserve support.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: