REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #101
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I've been doing my best to hold back on this thread..

You want to spend $2300 on Bilstein pss9, but based on what I'm seeing you post, this is basically a street car. Buying a part inappropriate for the build, solely because it's the highest quality/most expensive/ballerest part is a great technique to burn a massive amount of money very quickly. If essentially all you're looking for is ride height adjustability then just buy the most basic set of Teins coilovers available for your platform, you won't notice any difference.

Don't waste money buying the same part three times, upgrading from lowering springs to coils just to get it done fast is foolish. First of all, the lowering springs will ride like utter shit on stock shocks. Second, you will be paying for an alignment, the installation, and the parts that inevitably seem to break during installation twice by doing things twice. Do lots of people slowly upgrade over time? Sure, and those are the people who spend $20k on mods to have a practically stock car. Spend money wisely, plan out your build in advance.

You WILL need to have the body kit fitted and mounted by a shop if you want it to look anywhere near decent, budget for it, because that will not be cheap.

And finally, please, that button that says multi next to quote, use it!
Mhm kk ill go with that instead then. I head some terrible stuff about the ride quality on tein basics... but ill look into a lower end set of coils.
Advertisement
MADEINJAPAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zz View Post
I'm running 19x9.5 +22 and 19x10.5 +22... looks good, rides great!
Yeah thats usually the recommended setup on most Z forums haha. I think someone was telling me to go more aggressive though. lol. like +12 what do you think?

Also thought you would like to see this haha. I found it pretty interesting

Also have any experience with 20's?
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #103

With the body kit etc on hold for now need some input on some wheels.

browsing through a few forums here and there, I found some great options for wheels.

The first, posted on this thread about varrstoen is the es 2.2.2 which is 19 inch wheel that looks exactly the same as the Volk Te37.

Another option I was thinking was of getting the oem g35 Rays 19's. I noticed that a lot of people on Z forums were opting for this and I can definitely see the pros.

First they ARE rays made in japan so of extremely high quality.
Second they are relatively cheap as they are often overlooked as oem.
And lastly a much better choice + value for a wheel. Much better than buying $1000 replica wheels and risk them falling apart on the first pothole you come across...

I was also looking at 20's but I think they seem a little too big...

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #104
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
^ wow it looks so awkward with the GTR wheels
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:12 AM   #105
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Ok, the fact that you think a full $1200 kit even has a remote chance of good fitment means that you're in for a rude awakening.

you really need to make a plan and have a time frame. it's clear to me, and i think many others here, that you simply don't have enough money to do the things you want to do.

you're going to end up doing everything in stages, because most people that had the extra 10K lying around would have bought a nicer car to begin with. no offense.

so now that you're going to do everything in stages, you need to know when you're going to have money to do the next stages (if you don't give up by then)

Do you really want to start with a body kit that will put you 3-4K in the hole while you'll be on stock suspension and plastidip rims?

start with the wheels and suspension, get a nice stance and some rims, then 4K later, see what you think. Do you want to dump another 3.5K in for the kit?

you never seen people post pictures of cars with a sweet kit but stock wheels/suspension. ever.
you will, however, see people post pictures of stock cars with sweet wheels.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #106
Jin
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

If I were you, I'd take whatever you have budgeted for each part of the car, ie. suspension, body and etc... and double it. Things are never what they seem to be when you price things out in your head. Its always nice to have backup cash incase you need extra parts/work done.

There are always hidden costs to everything done.

Also, have you ever ridden in a car with tein basics? Yes some people say they dont ride nice, but those are the ppl that want stiffer ride and they feel its too soft for them. The basics are a very good entry level coilover(not badly priced might I add), but are very mild, but has the height adjust-ability everyone wants. Which in certain aspects are good for just everyday driving. If you are not going to track the car, why bother spending crazy amounts on a coilover with dampening and rebound control when you'll never even need it on the street, nor even understand how the adjustments affect the handling of the car.

But in the end, its your money and how you spend it on YOUR car is entirely up to you. At the end of the day, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow View Post
Ok, the fact that you think a full $1200 kit even has a remote chance of good fitment means that you're in for a rude awakening.

you really need to make a plan and have a time frame. it's clear to me, and i think many others here, that you simply don't have enough money to do the things you want to do.

you're going to end up doing everything in stages, because most people that had the extra 10K lying around would have bought a nicer car to begin with. no offense.

so now that you're going to do everything in stages, you need to know when you're going to have money to do the next stages (if you don't give up by then)

Do you really want to start with a body kit that will put you 3-4K in the hole while you'll be on stock suspension and plastidip rims?

start with the wheels and suspension, get a nice stance and some rims, then 4K later, see what you think. Do you want to dump another 3.5K in for the kit?

you never seen people post pictures of cars with a sweet kit but stock wheels/suspension. ever.
you will, however, see people post pictures of stock cars with sweet wheels.
If you look at your post above you. You'll see that the decision has already been made to put the body kit on hold.
Give me some input on the wheels and tein basics. and which one I should get. I heard theirs S and H which frankly I don't really know the difference between.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGang View Post
^ wow it looks so awkward with the GTR wheels
Yeah haha. I think 20's in general make it look a little awkward imo.
But right now everyone down south is switching from the 19" forged to the Gt-r's 20's lol.
I was talking to this guy on 350zmotoring who has 20's apparently theirs no room to lower =P
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin View Post
If I were you, I'd take whatever you have budgeted for each part of the car, ie. suspension, body and etc... and double it. Things are never what they seem to be when you price things out in your head. Its always nice to have backup cash incase you need extra parts/work done.

There are always hidden costs to everything done.

Also, have you ever ridden in a car with tein basics? Yes some people say they dont ride nice, but those are the ppl that want stiffer ride and they feel its too soft for them. The basics are a very good entry level coilover(not badly priced might I add), but are very mild, but has the height adjust-ability everyone wants. Which in certain aspects are good for just everyday driving. If you are not going to track the car, why bother spending crazy amounts on a coilover with dampening and rebound control when you'll never even need it on the street, nor even understand how the adjustments affect the handling of the car.

But in the end, its your money and how you spend it on YOUR car is entirely up to you. At the end of the day, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.
Thank you. That was exactly the kind of answer that I needed to make up my mind on the tein basics. Where do you think the cut off is for decent coils in regards to pricing. Now I know teins are good but I also want to look around to see what else is on the market. I've raised the current budget to 4.5k and will probably keep adding with the upcoming summer.

Also when you say that don't ride as stiff as other coils, how do they ride in comparison to stock? Since I'm not planning on tracking it, I agree that a stiffer ride would be useless and would prefer something a little more forgiving.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:35 PM   #110

Update:

Personally I like the G35 wheels quite a bit. found a few local classifieds. Any recommended tire brands and specs for 19's?

Also happened to come across a set of used Bilstein Pss9's that were ridden for 10k miles but are listed for cheaper than a new set of tein basics. Thoughts?
Old 03-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #111

Edit: Also found used hotchkis cois/koni spring combo and tanabe soc
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #112
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
awesome thread, would read again
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #113
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,904 Times in 751 Posts
Looks like crap on 20s cus it's got like 3 feet of ground clearance
Posted via RS Mobile
jing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by jing View Post
Looks like crap on 20s cus it's got like 3 feet of ground clearance
Posted via RS Mobile
+1 agreed. Looks pretty awkward imo.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #115

Probably going to grab bilstein pss B14 with upgraded springs... any idea if I need anything else to make this set up work? Currently looking into a used camber kit.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #116

err i would not cheap out on any of the suspension parts.. bilstein should be ok. There are so many different kinds of coilovers available for the Z.

If you are going to track your car, go true style coilover. I myself have just the oem style with pre-set damper. non adjustable.

I went with SPC camberkit. front and back. Heard a lot of good things about the SPL kit also.

if you go 19s, get ready to spend a lot on tires.. even with replica wheels and decent tire, you are going to spend at least 2.5k. with other suspension kits, prolly around 4kish minimum.
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovo View Post
err i would not cheap out on any of the suspension parts.. bilstein should be ok. There are so many different kinds of coilovers available for the Z.

If you are going to track your car, go true style coilover. I myself have just the oem style with pre-set damper. non adjustable.

I went with SPC camberkit. front and back. Heard a lot of good things about the SPL kit also.

if you go 19s, get ready to spend a lot on tires.. even with replica wheels and decent tire, you are going to spend at least 2.5k. with other suspension kits, prolly around 4kish minimum.
Yeah the coils are used but they seem legit enough. The seller seems like a stand up guy from my350z. The coils have 10000 miles on them but they come with the full set up with upgraded springs. Does it sound about right?

Apparently I need a spring mount and perch for install but he said he can throw them in for free. As for tires, I found dunlops that are apparently bang for their buck for 187 a tire.

I'm getting a lot of feed back not to go 19's and just stay 18's. Would 18's lowered slightly with a bodykit look weird? I decided not to completely slam the thing and instead stay within 1" for now.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM   #118
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
you know what I did prior to getting my VQ, I spent months and months browsing, JUST browsing the 350z and G35 forums before I even got the car and once I got it I knew pretty much what was what.

I'm not saying you should do what I did even though it's a pretty bulletproof method, but you really should slow down and take your time, the way you're going right from what I'm seeing is one day you decide on one thing and the next day it's something else. Do yourself a favor, simmer down, spend some time looking up some threads from respectable members on my350z.com and g35driver.com, there is massive threads on those forums with all kinds of information for you for every single question you've asked here so far, WITH pictures, specs, etc...

And when I say LOOKING UP i mean looking up, not asking a bunch of different questions on what you should do, this is only gonna set you back weeks if not months, because everyone will have their preferences and will give you different answers which will lead to more confusion. Look it up see what YOU like and do it YOUR way.

The reason I mentioned G35driver.com BTW for those that don't know is because the parts between a G35 and 350z are interchangeable, same parts fit both cars since they are the exact same car underneath the shell.
Anyway good luck and the last bit of advice I would give you is to come over to our local VQ club site Nissan/Infiniti Club of Canada and you will find a lot of useful information for us local owners.

And in my opinion some of the better looking Z's go a little something like this, simple and clean, although I wouldnt recommend you go this low with a good sports car like a Z, especially for our shitty streets

that's about 10-15 grand worth of exterior/suspension mods on the first black Z, and about 5+ g's on the second one (thats a stock Nismo edition exterior, you can buy the whole kit for about a grand)

Old 03-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
you know what I did prior to getting my VQ, I spent months and months browsing, JUST browsing the 350z and G35 forums before I even got the car and once I got it I knew pretty much what was what.

I'm not saying you should do what I did even though it's a pretty bulletproof method, but you really should slow down and take your time, the way you're going right from what I'm seeing is one day you decide on one thing and the next day it's something else. Do yourself a favor, simmer down, spend some time looking up some threads from respectable members on my350z.com and g35driver.com, there is massive threads on those forums with all kinds of information for you for every single question you've asked here so far, WITH pictures, specs, etc...

And when I say LOOKING UP i mean looking up, not asking a bunch of different questions on what you should do, this is only gonna set you back weeks if not months, because everyone will have their preferences and will give you different answers which will lead to more confusion. Look it up see what YOU like and do it YOUR way.

The reason I mentioned G35driver.com BTW for those that don't know is because the parts between a G35 and 350z are interchangeable, same parts fit both cars since they are the exact same car underneath the shell.
Anyway good luck and the last bit of advice I would give you is to come over to our local VQ club site Nissan/Infiniti Club of Canada and you will find a lot of useful information for us local owners.

And in my opinion some of the better looking Z's go a little something like this, simple and clean, although I wouldnt recommend you go this low with a good sports car like a Z, especially for our shitty streets

that's about 10-15 grand worth of exterior/suspension mods on the first black Z, and about 5+ g's on the second one (thats a stock Nismo edition exterior, you can buy the whole kit for about a grand)

Haha well the whole mess of a OP was what I had gotten from about 6 months of research. I have about 273 links which were saved pertaining to my car (slowing down my comp like crazy) but I never considered getting wheels and suspension. Thought I could just get away with painting wheels black and just get lowering springs. But apparently not =P. So its been a crazy few weeks but that craziness is only about looking for wheels and coilovers. The rest should be solid.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #120

Quote:

Forgot to add but im already a member on my350z, g35, 350zmotoring, 350z-tech?, and nicoclub haha. But i'll look into a more local club other than rs. I can't believe we don't have a Vancouver 350z club like genesis does D=. And personally I wouldn't drop my car more than an 1". I think the Z looks low enough already imo and lower would just make it look funny....
Old 03-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #121

^ listen to g-spec... good advice right there... niclub.ca is the local nissan club. lots of 350 guys g35 300zx and more.

and 20" rims look fine on a 350 long as you lower it right. i still had 3 inch clearance and didnt scrape at all.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #122
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
thats a lot of forums so good stuff, cant believe you missed NiClub.ca, lol we're the biggest VQ club locally, had over 30 club members just attending last years RS meet, and thats just the guys that come out to the meets, we have many more than that...

oh and uhhh if you got a 100k to blow, your car can turn out something like Konvicts Fast & Furious Veilside Z up there in his sig pic, that dude's car is loco !
Old 03-17-2012, 07:25 PM   #123
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 6,535 Times in 1,154 Posts
G-Spec, that first black 350z is hot! Konvict what are you driving now after you sold your car?
artofstance on twitter
Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photographers Enthusiasts
--------------------------------------------
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
1999 Mazda Miata *sold*
2005 Mazda 3 *sold*
2002 Volvo S40 *RIP*
1989 Volvo 740 *RIP*
Matsuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konvict View Post
^ listen to g-spec... good advice right there... niclub.ca is the local nissan club. lots of 350 guys g35 300zx and more.

and 20" rims look fine on a 350 long as you lower it right. i still had 3 inch clearance and didnt scrape at all.
Any recommendations? I actually really liked the look of the rays 19's for g35 imo =/
Old 03-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #125

Quote:
thats a lot of forums so good stuff, cant believe you missed NiClub.ca, lol we're the biggest VQ club locally, had over 30 club members just attending last years RS meet, and thats just the guys that come out to the meets, we have many more than that...

oh and uhhh if you got a 100k to blow, your car can turn out something like Konvicts Fast & Furious Veilside Z up there in his sig pic, that dude's car is loco !
Dang I wish someone had told me that sooner! I'll get on that asap. Do you guys have small meets just with Niclub members in Vancouver?