REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Buying a car (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664290-buying-car.html)

guurl 03-07-2012 08:43 PM

Buying a car

i'm a teen.. looking to buy her first car. haha. lately I've been browsing around craigslist/revscene and I've stumbled across many cars that i was interested in, (2000 honda civic, acura el).
I asked him/her to come by my family friend's auto shop to get it checked before i purchase it but... the seller's car doesn't have insurance.

so.. in this situation.. might be a stupid question, but how are you even supposed to test drive the car or what ever you do when you purchase your first car..?

not to name drop or whatever but i really want to take a look at and buy that 2001 1.7 el that guy is selling on revscene buy/sell forum but he doesn't have insurance lol

:accepted:

Teknique 03-07-2012 08:48 PM

You or the seller could purchase a day pass for insurance, it should be relatively cheap.

Also if your family friend is a mechanic, don't they have Repairer plates they can slap on a car they're inspecting (for test drives)?

Would be the best way to go. I mean you could tow the car to the garage, but that'd probably be more than the day pass.

guurl 03-07-2012 08:57 PM

Sorry I'm not to sure about insurance rates but how much do you think the day pass would cost?

cho 03-07-2012 09:00 PM

54 bucks for my 92 cvic for a day
Posted via RS Mobile

whitev70r 03-07-2012 09:04 PM

Personally, I think it is seller's responsibility to be able to show the car in running condition including a test drive. My 2 cents. Who in their right mind would buy a car without a test drive?

guurl 03-07-2012 09:09 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

There's no way I'm paying for the seller's insurance. I texted and asked if he could buy a day of insurance because in the end he's going to have to buy it if people request for a test drive.

I've encountered so many sellers that don't have insurance on their cars... It's driving me crazy! :rukidding:

ilvtofu 03-07-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7822650)
54 bucks for my 92 cvic for a day
Posted via RS Mobile

Dafuq?
When I got it, it was in the low $30's with collision/comprehensive... should be the same for most cars

!Aznboi128 03-07-2012 09:12 PM

^ itll vary a 96 civic for two days was 60 bucks or so

guurl 03-07-2012 09:14 PM

But man. I'm eager to take a look at that acura el and buy it if it turns out to be good but he doesn't have insurance!
:okay:

1exotic 03-07-2012 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntran604 (Post 7822671)
But man. I'm eager to take a look at that acura el and buy it if it turns out to be good but he doesn't have insurance!
:okay:

GET TEMPORARY INSURANCE PAPERS.....
You take the vehicle regrestration to autoplan its take 2 minutes.

whitev70r 03-07-2012 09:25 PM

Go test drive these ones, they are in the same ballpark $ range:

2001 ACURA 1.7 EL PREMIUM

2002 Acura EL Automatic Premium Package

2002 Acura 1.7 EL BLK Premium OBO

guurl 03-07-2012 09:31 PM

Thanks! Weird, tried looking for some 1.7 el's on craigs but didn't see any of these

whitev70r 03-07-2012 09:43 PM

Used to own a 2002 Acura EL, manual. Great little car with enough pep (at least the manual version does, don't know about auto). I was very happy with fuel mileage - avg 7.8L/100 or 30 MPG combined, all with a bit of class/luxury. :thumbsup:

Fafine 03-07-2012 09:44 PM

find a day when your family friend is free and check it out with him?
Posted via RS Mobile

conflagrare 03-08-2012 09:35 PM

Buy my Camry man! I am serious! Call me! Same price range

My car is uninsured too, but I do get the 1 day insurance to show buyers. The stupid thing is when I paid the $30 bucks and the guy didn't show...

2001 Camry V6 XLE -> fully loaded + bluetooth
Posted via RS Mobile

pinn3r 03-08-2012 09:51 PM

Sorry for jacking up the thread (didn't want to make a new one), but I've been itching to ask this question

I am also a teen, and my mom is planning on buying a used car for the family
I'm just wondering - what are the key things I should look for and make sure when buying a used car? I don't want to purchase a car and later find out that there's a really big problem with it
Nobody in my family's proficient with cars so we're all pretty clueless

Thanks in advance!

fliptuner 03-08-2012 10:27 PM

If someone's trying to sell a car that doesn't have insurance, all they have to do is setup several viewers on the same day and just get a permit, not that hard.

pinn3r, test drive and when you find one you're really serious about, get BCAA to inspect it.

GGnoRE 03-08-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 7823977)
Sorry for jacking up the thread (didn't want to make a new one), but I've been itching to ask this question

I'm just wondering - what are the key things I should look for and make sure when buying a used car? I don't want to purchase a car and later find out that there's a really big problem with it

Thanks in advance!

Some basics things to check for: ICBC history for past accidents, after-market mods, mileage, cross-reference to other cars to make sure your not getting ripped off, and a comprehensive safety inspection

Teknique 03-09-2012 08:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

10 Steps to Buying a Used Car - Edmunds.com

Take a read through this article. It covers the basics.

xilley 03-09-2012 08:19 AM

everyones so nice and helping in this thread.

reason:

*cough op is a girl cough*

XplicitLuder 03-09-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xilley (Post 7824247)
everyones so nice and helping in this thread.

reason:

*cough op is a girl cough*

no its because these are really good questions asked by newbies :thumbs: nothing like "omg my first car i want an m3" lol

freakshow 03-09-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance!

Take it to a mechanic you trust, or one that a friend recommends. It'll be a $100 investment and will save you tons of headaches down the road.

BCAA is fine, they have a ~150 point inspection, but the last time I wanted to use them, you had to tell the seller which day BCAA would be there, and BCAA would show up 'sometime between 9 and 5'.. so.. that could be unreasonable for some sellers.

GGnoRE 03-09-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XplicitLuder (Post 7824256)
no its because these are really good questions asked by newbies :thumbs: nothing like "omg my first car i want an m3" lol

Can't really blame those guys though right... If your parents had the means to buy you an expensive car, who wouldn't want one... (especially when your 17~19). If you had the option but opted to buy a cheap car to learn first, I give you some respect for being able to resist the temptation.

XplicitLuder 03-09-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGnoRE (Post 7824269)
Can't really blame those guys though right... If your parents had the means to buy you an expensive car, who wouldn't want one... (especially when your 17~19). If you had the option but opted to buy a cheap car to learn first, I give you some respect for being able to resist the temptation.

touche, but at the same time theyre asking in the wrong place then. Most people here didn't have the luxury to own such expensive cars when they were 17-19 and i said what i said because the outcome of a thread like this is far more positive then when a thread is created by a youngling who wants a 50k$+ car lol

TurboFC3S 03-09-2012 12:49 PM

lol 54 bucks for a 1 day permit on a 92 civic.. fuck lol. Bought too much liability coverage then... It dosent vary for diff cars its all the same. I usually get collision/comp/fire/theft/vand + 1,000,000 liability for my rx7 and its 34 bucks. Basic permit is 20 somthing bucks.