REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

at this point in time they may as well name it, "BC cluster fuck stadium & events centre"

and the new advertising slogan can be:
"come enjoy the game LIVE... on our new HD tv's while you wait in the beer line up for a half hour."
Advertisement
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Telus for the life of them can't even provide reliable telephone and internet service to a small business. I do not wish to have our BC landmark associated with a craptastic "service" provider

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #28
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS View Post
"come enjoy the game LIVE... on our new HD tv's while you wait in the beer line up for a half hour."
This is why you drink before the game,then while you are at the game,you can just sip on the overpriced watered down beer you spent waiting half a hour in line for and enjoy the night.
spyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyker View Post
This is why you drink before the game,then while you are at the game,you can just sip on the overpriced watered down beer you spent waiting half a hour in line for and enjoy the night.
This.

If you're not pre-drinking, then you're doin'itwrong.

I used to be anti corporate name-changing of stadiums, but now I come to the realization that 40 million dollars from Telus would have been 40 million less of our tax dollars the public would have to pay.

In other words, I'd rather NOT pay my tax dollars just so we can keep the "BC Place name". Fuck, I can't remember the last time I was even in BC place anyways.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #30
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
holy sweet fucking christmas. $40million over 20 years is TWO MILLION DOLLARS PER YEAR

the BC governments revenue is in the neighbourhood of $40 BILLION per year.

you think 2 million dollars extra income per year which is about 1/20,000th of BCs revenue is going to make ANY difference at all!?

Im fucking glad its staying BC Place. Its a British Columbia icon and Id be pissed if it was sold out to naming rights.

And how many people who are mad the government is 'throwing away $40m' also voted to axe the HST?
It's more about optics. $2 million per year is still $2 million per year. It's $2 million less per year that will have to come out of taxpayer pockets. When organizations like Community Living BC are severely underfunded and teachers are on strike, $2 million means a lot.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:23 PM   #31
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Why couldn't they have sold the name AND sold advertising on the inside. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is advertising on the inside of Roger's Arena, no?
They can sell both the name and inside advertising. But the government is saying that they think they'll be able to enough advertising on the inside to make up for not having sold the naming rights.

But I work in the business and I can tell you there's no way. There's not enough advertisers or corporate presence in town to sell that much advertising in a building used as rarely as BC Place. The Lions nor Whitecaps nor all the car/boat shows combined will be able to generate that kind of demand.

The TELUS deal was a great one. $2M per year was a very good deal and more than the taxpayers could have ever dreamed to get (for example Air Canada only pays $1.5M per year for the ACC). TELUS had lost so much ground to Bell in terms of sponsor presence in Vancouver they decided they had to spare no expense to get the naming rights for this.

Personally I'm 100% convinced the Whitecaps/Bell agreement is what caused this debacle and now the politicians are simply making up excuses. And the losers at the end of the day are the taxpayers.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #32
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
They can sell both the name and inside advertising. But the government is saying that they think they'll be able to enough advertising on the inside to make up for not having sold the naming rights.

But I work in the business and I can tell you there's no way. There's not enough advertisers or corporate presence in town to sell that much advertising in a building used as rarely as BC Place. The Lions nor Whitecaps nor all the car/boat shows combined will be able to generate that kind of demand.

The TELUS deal was a great one. $2M per year was a very good deal and more than the taxpayers could have ever dreamed to get (for example Air Canada only pays $1.5M per year for the ACC). TELUS had lost so much ground to Bell in terms of sponsor presence in Vancouver they decided they had to spare no expense to get the naming rights for this.

Personally I'm 100% convinced the Whitecaps/Bell agreement is what caused this debacle and now the politicians are simply making up excuses. And the losers at the end of the day are the taxpayers.
The government courted Telus(according to the news, so who the hell REALLY knows) but I think the problem was they wanted to double dip with Bell, or no one had thought that the white caps had their own deals in place.

Either way, they fucked up.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #33
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
BC place is a Crown Corporation, does that mean the financials are public?

That would provide a tremendous amount of insight.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #34
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
The government courted Telus(according to the news, so who the hell REALLY knows) but I think the problem was they wanted to double dip with Bell, or no one had thought that the white caps had their own deals in place.

Either way, they fucked up.
You'd never be able to double up because most sponsorships in this town are based on category exclusivity. In other words, once you sell the rights to a company, the contract will not allow your competitors to also have a presence. Problems inevitably arise though when building owners have one agreement but tenants and/or building users have their own.

For example, back when the All Star game was in Vancouver there was a behind-the-scenes brouhaha because GM had naming rights and vehicle exclusivity inside GM Place. However the NHL went along and sold automotive sponsorship for the All Star game to Dodge. Fireworks resulted.

There are creative ways around it though. For example, Pizza Hut currently has sponsorship of the Canucks as "official pizza" (which I am guessing was bundled as part of the deal when Pepsi won the soft drink rights last year), BUT you'll still see Boston Pizza rinkboards. How come? They adjusted the contract so they are the official "sports bar". lol.

Anyways, back on topic, the major problem here is the Whitecaps keep referring to the building as the Bell Pitch as part of their deal with Bell but that was never agreed to or endorsed by BC Place who were trying to court TELUS. This decision is basically the government trying to keep the Whitecaps happy.

I predict there will now be a legal dispute between the Whitecaps and PavCo to get rid of the name "Bell Pitch". Once that is settled, PavCo will go back to and try and convince them to reinstate the deal with TELUS. By that time there will have been an election possibly so who knows what will result.

Last edited by Eff-1; 03-10-2012 at 06:00 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #35
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
BC place is a Crown Corporation, does that mean the financials are public?

That would provide a tremendous amount of insight.
PavCo
This post thanked by: