REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Honda / Acura Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/honda-acura-tech-resources_310/)
-   -   05 accord v6 timing belt & pump change? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664410-05-accord-v6-timing-belt-pump-change.html)

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-10-2012 04:12 AM

05 accord v6 timing belt & pump change?

i believe i am 50k over due but the belt still looks fine... is it necessary to change it? also when should i replace engine mounts etc...how much does it cost. Are they necessary replacements? anyone had experience with this before? thanks

smoothie. 03-27-2012 10:14 PM

whats the mileage and what were you supposed to change it at?

B20Luder 03-27-2012 11:15 PM

Honda recommends 166000 I believe for timing belt replacement. Water pump with the first belt is an inspect and replace if necessary item. In "extreme" climates we recommend changing the belt at 100000KM, since it could cause harder wear on the belt. The belt itself may look fine at first glance, but it could be starting to crack and deteriorate on the inside. If you are 50K over the 166, I would do it asap. It is pricey, but so is a rebuild when the belt lets go and the pistons kiss the valves.

Replace the engine mounts if/when they wear excessively or tear.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-27-2012 11:18 PM

im currently sittin at 183k kms ... iuno a few mechanics i asked already looked and said its fine. on top and inside still looks new. i've been hearing a rattling by the timing belt area though, not sure if its a tensioner problem or whatever. it goes away once the engine is warm though.

trip 03-27-2012 11:47 PM

whoa.. i have an 05 v6 and it barely has 58k on it

what was your first major tune up?

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-27-2012 11:52 PM

well mine is used, i got it with 82k on it about 4-5 yrs ago. First major fix i'd say was the tranny rebuild. I am not sure what original owner did to it. I think just regular oil changes and brakes. Happy honda salesman lied also and told me no accidents and showed me the reports and after I looked deeper in because noticed my bumper paint chips too much and it was in an accident under 5000$. Too late to do anything now.. anyways, just need good advice on what to do so my car doesn't go dying on me again soon one day.. or what would be trade in value of my car if i were to trade it for a 06-07 6 speed?

B20Luder 03-28-2012 04:40 PM

I would still advise getting the belt done. If the belt goes your looking at a large repair bill. The timing chain tensioners are known to leak as well on V6 motors, we replace a lot of them with timing belts as well.

"Rattle" could possibly be something inside the belt area, but being a V6 I'd lean more towards piston slap. That is quite common on Honda V6 motors, we have done a few under warranty for excessive slap.