REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

should i buy from tire rack or discount tire direct?

tire rack seems more expensive with all these additional fees when i click checkout compared to discounttiredirect. has anyone purchase from discount tires before? i only see shipping charges for them so far.

just read discount tire direct and it says hst taxes and all the fees are prepaid already on their behalf. Does that seem right???
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Yes. They probably use a broker to clear customs and to collect taxes on behalf of CBSA.

On the other hand, you could have them ship to a shipping depot in Blaine or Point Roberts. Pick them up, bring em back and pay taxes/duties if and when applicable.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I've bought multiple sets of tires from both companies over the years and have always pick them up in Point Roberts myself. I never had a single issue with either company. Go with which ever one has the tire you want and at the lowest total price.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
try 1010 tires too...They're Canadian...

Last edited by parm104; 03-10-2012 at 10:01 PM.
parm104 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parm104 View Post
try 1010 tires too...They're Canadian...
how are their prices? so far the continental DW from discount tires for all 4 come up to 800 something for me which is considerably cheap. I just hope these tires are good comparing to the DWS or ventus v12s..
Old 03-10-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by a90a93 View Post
I've bought multiple sets of tires from both companies over the years and have always pick them up in Point Roberts myself. I never had a single issue with either company. Go with which ever one has the tire you want and at the lowest total price.
what are the benefits of doing that? i've never had anything shipped to the border before. If i order from discount tires they will ship to my door with the same prices as being shipped to point roberts right?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz View Post
what are the benefits of doing that? i've never had anything shipped to the border before. If i order from discount tires they will ship to my door with the same prices as being shipped to point roberts right?
Sometimes you get lucky and don't pay the tax + fees at the border.
Posted via RS Mobile
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
No. Both companies will charge more for shipping to your door (compared to shipping to PR, where DTD is actually free). As well, you will more than likely pay both the HST and Duty (should your tire be made outside North America) which I believe is 7%, as well as a brokerage fee charged by your shipping company (which can be quite hefty).

If you were to ship to a receiving company at PR/Blaine - you will need to pay the $4/$5 per tire that the depots charge. Crossing the border, having to pay the duty is a hit and miss. I have plenty of friends who have brought back tires and didn't have to pay a cent, I have heard people crossing over and only getting charged HST, etc.

Either way, you will be saving a decent amount in the shipping costs and brokerage fees, as well as the possibility of saving in HST/Duty.

Another plus, DTD - if you buy a set of rims (their prices are pretty decent, but it really depends on what sort of style you're looking for) from them as well, they will mount and balance for free, which is decent savings there as well.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
No. Both companies will charge more for shipping to your door (compared to shipping to PR, where DTD is actually free). As well, you will more than likely pay both the HST and Duty (should your tire be made outside North America) which I believe is 7%, as well as a brokerage fee charged by your shipping company (which can be quite hefty).

If you were to ship to a receiving company at PR/Blaine - you will need to pay the $4/$5 per tire that the depots charge. Crossing the border, having to pay the duty is a hit and miss. I have plenty of friends who have brought back tires and didn't have to pay a cent, I have heard people crossing over and only getting charged HST, etc.

Either way, you will be saving a decent amount in the shipping costs and brokerage fees, as well as the possibility of saving in HST/Duty.

Another plus, DTD - if you buy a set of rims (their prices are pretty decent, but it really depends on what sort of style you're looking for) from them as well, they will mount and balance for free, which is decent savings there as well.
Prepaid Customs Fees

We collect sales taxes and duties on behalf of the applicable Canadian government agencies. These fees will be included in the total price of your order. Examples of fees included: Excise Taxes, GST, PST, Duties, Provincial Tire Fees, and Brokerage Fees.

No additional taxes, duties or fees will be collected by UPS at time of delivery.

While we anticipate fast and efficient delivery of your items, delivery may be delayed by customs procedures.

thats what the site says when i am at checkout. There are no hidden fees correct? the prepaid canadian tariff fee is already 160$
Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
RS controls my life!

total for continental dw compared to 1010tires and other retailers here is 814$, now thats a steal to 1,148$!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:09 AM   #11
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

try tires-easy.com

even with the shipping charges, my hankooks were cheaper than tirerack and discount tire
True.True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #12
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by True.True View Post
try tires-easy.com

even with the shipping charges, my hankooks were cheaper than tirerack and discount tire
how long does it usually take for the tires to get to vancouver from all these companies?

nvm, read all the reviews about them and customers received nothing but trouble dealing with them.

Last edited by SupraTTturbo2jz; 03-11-2012 at 12:19 AM.
SupraTTturbo2jz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
My homepage has been set to RS

I usually buy from Discount Tire because it's continent. Ship to the Bellingham location and pick up within a day. Usually you can talk them into free mounting too/

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-11-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Prepaid Customs Fees

We collect sales taxes and duties on behalf of the applicable Canadian government agencies. These fees will be included in the total price of your order. Examples of fees included: Excise Taxes, GST, PST, Duties, Provincial Tire Fees, and Brokerage Fees.

No additional taxes, duties or fees will be collected by UPS at time of delivery.

While we anticipate fast and efficient delivery of your items, delivery may be delayed by customs procedures.

thats what the site says when i am at checkout. There are no hidden fees correct? the prepaid canadian tariff fee is already 160$
oh, I didn't know they started doing that with the duty, etc. ya, there won't be any hidden fees - but if you ship to PR/Blaine - it's possible that you'll be able to forgo the $160 completely.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've used both companies before as well, but are excellent! Go with the cheaper option.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
I usually buy from Discount Tire because it's continent. Ship to the Bellingham location and pick up within a day. Usually you can talk them into free mounting too/
If you ship it to a location, you have to pay taxes though. Where as if you ship form DTD to a mail holding company, its treated as an out of state sale (no tax). This may or may not be beneficial considering if it negates the cost of mounting them for free at the shop.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:51 PM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I like tirerack more but i stopped at discount tire in bellingham and they had the size i need and the type i wanted and only charged 350$ for a set of 17's and the whole process only took 45 minutes. i was quite impressed. tire rack has better selection and price at most times tho
PandaFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #18
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaFit View Post
I like tirerack more but i stopped at discount tire in bellingham and they had the size i need and the type i wanted and only charged 350$ for a set of 17's and the whole process only took 45 minutes. i was quite impressed. tire rack has better selection and price at most times tho
I got my tires done at Discount in Bellingham last week - Continental Extreme DWS 245/18/45 for new model Acura TL. all for under 800$ installed including the extra insureance (the guy offered to split the price with me). Excellant service and good value. Highly recommended - drove across with no hassles!

Cheers,
dr_squat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Discounttire matches tirerack's cost with shipping included. If you're disposing your old tires, it's worth driving down to the Seattle outlet area to get it done..

2013 Lexus IS350 F-Sport (Melbourne)
too_slow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaFit View Post
I don't think I've ever found tirerack's prices are better, simply because their shipping is so expensive and DTD offers it for free. You save $50-70 easily right there.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #21
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Bought my tires from Discount tire and saved about $10-$20 per wheel and then saved on the shipping to Point Roberts. End of the day I saved about $150+ by going with them.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #22
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

if tirerack.com has a price for a set of tires at $300 including shipping, will discount tire match and include install? or how much extra is install for a set of 4?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
RS controls my life!

^best to fill out their Lower Price form and inquire.
Lancerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:49 AM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,793 Times in 1,761 Posts
Anyone know who Discount Tire Direct uses to ship? UPS?

I've gotta order me up some Pilot Super Sports in the next couple weeks. The bellingham/ point roberts pick up options arent as practical for me since I'm on the island.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #25
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
UPS last time I bought.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: