REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #26
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Also because he left this out of his final conclusion:
thank you for the correction.
Advertisement
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
straight from the fields of squamton

Do your tires say M+S on the side? if so you can drive up legally.

if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't

end of disussion
Old 03-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post

if you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't

end of disussion
Many people are overconfident based on the degree of experience they have and level to which the vehicle is prepared, so sometimes that comfort level needs a bit of outside input.

Not end of discussion.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #29
straight from the fields of squamton

Have you ever driven a Gen coupe to whistler in a snow storm?
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #30
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Have you ever driven a Gen coupe to whistler in a snow storm?
No, but I've driven other RWD vehicles through snow storms to Whistler, and a Gen coupe doesn't have especially unique handling or power characteristics.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:50 PM   #31
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Roads are clear, just got back.

edit: burned almost an entire tank of gas getting to and from pomo-whis.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 PM   #32
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
To the OP, you can't gain experience with your RWD ride in the snow unless you are really in the situation... so take your car and take care. It should be fine.

My suggestion:
1. If you are really paranoid, look over the map/ streetview on Google when you have time. Try to visualize the tricky parts. There are a few turns that can creep up on you.
2. Check the weather report the morning / you are about to leave or even at the McD on the way while breakfast eg Squamish. Weather report in our area get better prediction only for about 12-24hours.
3. Check the highway cameras (despite what others might say, it gives you more information ahead of time).
4. Do all the basic preparations: tires' pressure, windshield fluid (important).. top it up or maybe have a spare can (of that), brush etc.
5. Don't drive like an idiot... drive at the speed you are comfortable with and let other people pass if they are pressuring you. In an RWD, You will only get into trouble when you change your weight / momentum around eg hard braking, so reduce your chances of that you should be okay.
6. Be prepared to be turn back if things really go to crap (I doubt it)... don't pressure yourself to hurry.
7. When you get to Whistler / surrounding area.. find a empty parking lot to practise / get the feel of hard braking etc on icy surface.. (late at night is usually the best).

I drove my e36 with stock MXV4 tires up and down Sea to Sky close to 20 years ago every weekend.. no traction control, no nothing.. Go easy on your gas and brake, and just build on your experience. The only trouble I had, was at Cypress at the final hairpin which I forgot, car spun around into the snow filled ditch.. waiting for the tow truck and bruised ego was the result.

Last edited by godwin; 03-16-2012 at 06:27 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
To the OP, you can't gain experience with your RWD ride in the snow unless you are really in the situation... so take your car and take care. It should be fine.

My suggestion:
1. If you are really paranoid, look over the map/ streetview on Google when you have time. Try to visualize the tricky parts. There are a few turns that can creep up on you.
2. Check the weather report the morning / you are about to leave or even at the McD on the way while breakfast eg Squamish. Weather report in our area get better prediction only for about 12-24hours.
3. Check the highway cameras (despite what others might say, it gives you more information ahead of time).
4. Do all the basic preparations: tires' pressure, windshield fluid (important).. top it up or maybe have a spare can (of that), brush etc.
5. Don't drive like an idiot... drive at the speed you are comfortable with and let other people pass if they are pressuring you. In an RWD, You will only get into trouble when you change your weight / momentum around eg hard braking, so reduce your chances of that you should be okay.
6. Be prepared to be turn back if things really go to crap (I doubt it)... don't pressure yourself to hurry.
7. When you get to Whistler / surrounding area.. find a empty parking lot to practise / get the feel of hard braking etc on icy surface.. (late at night is usually the best).

I drove my e36 with stock MXV4 tires up and down Sea to Sky close to 20 years ago every weekend.. no traction control, no nothing.. Go easy on your gas and brake, and just build on your experience. The only trouble I had, was at Cypress at the final hairpin which I forgot, car spun around into the snow filled ditch.. waiting for the tow truck and bruised ego was the result.
That's almost as much work as I put in when I go for a flight... Over analyze a bit maybe?
Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 PM   #34
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I am not sure I want to fly in your plane, if your checklist is this short.. most of those things are pretty common, check weather report etc? Since the OP is worried enough to post on the board, using a checklist will help him make sure he got everything covered and build confidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
That's almost as much work as I put in when I go for a flight... Over analyze a bit maybe?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
I thought we require the following:

Winter Tire Safety Tips - Transport Canada

Frequently Asked Questions

It's kind of complicated I guess.
observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I am not sure I want to fly in your plane, if your checklist is this short.. most of those things are pretty common, check weather report etc? Since the OP is worried enough to post on the board, using a checklist will help him make sure he got everything covered and build confidence.
Checklist = walk around, weather, flight plan, notams, don't crash. That's preeeeeeeetty much the same for any plane.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #37
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
if you cant drive up the sea to sky these days because you are scared/worried, you shouldnt be on the road period
Old 03-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

i usually use chains when i use that highway
marck is offline   Reply With Quote