REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   free professional counselling around vancouver? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665004-free-professional-counselling-around-vancouver.html)

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-20-2012 01:12 AM

free professional counselling around vancouver?

does anyone know of a counselor/psychiatrist that provides free support for depression? Been trying to find something but nothing.. This is for a friend, thanks

bballguy 03-20-2012 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraTTturbo2jz (Post 7855473)
does anyone know of a counselor/psychiatrist that provides free support for depression? Been trying to find something but nothing.. This is for a friend, thanks

I don't mean to sound rude so don't take this the wrong way:

Do you have any idea how long it can take to treat someone with depression?...I would be EXTREMELY shocked if anyone was willing to give up that kind of time for free...

That said, this is the best I can do for you: http://www.cmha.bc.ca/...get in contact with them and see if they can help your friend or at least guide him or her in the right direction.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-20-2012 01:21 AM

yes I do, someone I used to talk to before had depression and he mentioned he saw someone for free for a while. Just wondering if there are others that have offered their services for free..

Lomac 03-20-2012 01:24 AM

Depending on their age, there are youth (26 and under, I believe) clinics around that also have people on staff that deal with that sort of thing.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-20-2012 01:26 AM

ill have to call around some more tomorrow then..thanks

AutozamAZ-3 03-20-2012 02:21 AM

If he goes to a local public college or university, they all offer free counseling
Posted via RS Mobile

!SG 03-20-2012 04:38 AM

find out for me as well,

i can think of several members whom can use some counseling for a reality check, and grow the fuck up.

not directed towards the op at all, but as i grow older, i am seeing that some so called long time members havent had life council them in those 2 above solutions.

godwin 03-20-2012 06:10 AM

Depression is classified as a mental illness in the DSM manual.. hence it is covered by our Canadian health care system.. see your family doctor.. ask him or her to write you a referral to see a psychiatrist.. it might take a while as there is a waiting list, but it is FREE

If you are in serious distress, go to the ER right away..

GFunk 03-20-2012 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !SG (Post 7855536)
find out for me as well,

i can think of several members whom can use some counseling for a reality check, and grow the fuck up.

not directed towards the op at all, but as i grow older, i am seeing that some so called long time members havent had life council them in those 2 above solutions.

Don't you think this offtopic side rant is a little inappropriate given the serious nature of the thread's topic?

BaBiE_Bee 03-20-2012 07:30 AM

If the person is under 24, then try the Broadway Youth Resource Centre:

Pacific Community Resources - Broadway Youth Resource Centre

Youth Counselling Clinic - Free community based counselling through City University for youth and adults - ages 15-24. There used to be a direct number for them but I can't seem to find it on their site right now. Just give the centre a call and ask for the City University counseling.

Or you can also try here: Youth Clinics - Youth - Vancouver Coastal Health

It says " General counseling " under Services offered.

As well, does your friend work anywhere, part-time or full-time? Most places do offer free counseling through an outside company, it's usually a benefit to the employee even if you don't pay for the medical/ dental benefits, it's usually called EAP. (Employee Assistance Program)

Hope this helps! Or PM me if you have any questions - good luck! :)

yot065 03-20-2012 08:16 AM

i believe from high school they told me this place
"http://www.vch.ca/402/7678/?site_id=104"
they offer counselling etc

GLOW 03-20-2012 09:05 AM

if your friend is in the work force, some employers pay for services as part of their benefits. might be worth checking in to.

Gridlock 03-20-2012 09:18 AM

Quote:

find out for me as well,

While I totally agree, i must also echo the sentiment that this is just a hair inappropriate.

BUT...maybe a "Grow the Fuck Up" booth at the summer meet?

Chronix 03-20-2012 10:54 AM

i work in sph. just check in through emergency and said you have depression or what not. they will admit you and get you to talk to ER Psych and then he/she can refer you to a free community mental health team. dont go on weekdays though, thats when the mental unit in the hospital is busy and you may have to wait over an hour.

GGnoRE 03-20-2012 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chronix (Post 7855755)
i work in sph. just check in through emergency and said you have depression or what not. they will admit you and get you to talk to ER Psych and then he/she can refer you to a free community mental health team. dont go on weekdays though, thats when the mental unit in the hospital is busy and you may have to wait over an hour.

Shouldn't the emergency department only be used if its an emergency?
I don't like how people just head over to emergency when it isn't really an "emergency" as it can put other urgent patients at a disadvantage.

Chronix 03-20-2012 02:23 PM

....pysch emergency is different than the normal emergency area. two separate areas. handles by different specialized psych nurses and drs.

will068 03-20-2012 02:43 PM

Here you go dude. Hope your friend gets better. This is from my workplace. I believe you're not required to state your name. Just say you're from ABB Canada if ever they ask (I don't think you're required to as well). Just call the number below

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Morneau-Shepell, our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) helps you :

Achieve Personal Well-Being
Manage Relationships and Family
Get Legal Clarity
Get Financial Clarity
Research Child and Elder Care Resources
Address Workplace Challenges
Tackle Addictions
Understand Nutrition
Get Healthcare Advise

For more information, we invite you to take a look at the Employee Assistance brochure (available below) and read our Employee Assistance Program policy.

You can also contact Morneau-Shepell by phone at 1-800-387-4765 or by visiting Morneau-Shepell's website: Shepell·fgi

Meowjin 03-20-2012 03:33 PM

if anyone says mental disabilities don't exist, I will find you and fuck you up.

If you go to the health and wellness forums I was recently Diagnosed with something, I suggest if you are in school to go see the doctors in the health center and they will move you in the right direction.

Be warned to see a psych the waitlists are long. I was seeing the doctor on january 6th and didnt get an appoitment till february 28th. Also when you see the psych if you have something that they can deal with they will help you, but if its something that they can't they will just throw you to councelling. So be very careful with your words, because I almost got thrown to the school's councilling department before they discovered what was wrong with me.

Meowjin 03-20-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

find out for me as well,

With this type of attitude, its the reason why we have the DTES.

I mean once I told my brothers I was suffering with a mental disability, I was disowned, my godparents borderline disowned me and my own father wont talk to me anymore.

The sad part is once I started getting medicated my productivity shot up 100% and I'm getting alot of shit done.

So I guess what I have isn't real :rolleyes:

B!tch 03-20-2012 06:01 PM

Depending where your friend lives....

Fraserside Community Services Society

Fraser Health - Our Services

Rapid Access Psychiatric Clinic | Rapid Access Psychiatric Clinic see clinic at bottom of page for referal

some websites to visit

Getting Help: When & How

Patient and family resources

Counsellors charge less than pyschs and some work on a sliding scale:

BCACC | Find A Counsellor

Meowjin 03-20-2012 06:21 PM

^if you have been depressed for a long period I don't recommend counsellor's.

Ri2 03-20-2012 11:19 PM

OP, tell your friend go to their family doctor and get a referral. for the most part, therapy can be charged on a sliding scale if it is not free and is relatively affordable. my family doctor is in Vancouver and it took her a few days to research and find something that is free in my area. my dr's office arranged the appt and all i had to do was call to confirm. she also gave me a dvd and an online workbook to work on before my session.

hope this helps :heartsmile:

Durranne 03-20-2012 11:21 PM

great resources

LIKEABOSS 03-20-2012 11:26 PM

Depression/mental illness can often be more debilitating than physical illness. It's a sad fact that the general population doesn't understand this. Props to you and the people in this thread for helping out.

SupraTTturbo2jz 03-20-2012 11:51 PM

thanks for all the help, I've notice my friend has been suffering for a few years now (5-10yrs) and its time that I do something to help. Are the counselors usually female or male because my friend would prefer female. I just need to slowly suggest to them for this help. My friend did show interest when I did bring it up. I didn't know before how serious of an illness it is but the past months I've been doing research and yeah, people like this are suffering and need this support.