REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
This is what I think is better:

You lease a car, so you can sell at a profit after the lease.. then use the profit to buy the car of your dreams.

Pick a car that you know will hold the value well (I suggest 4 years). What you would do is to maximize your monthly payments to minimize the final payoff figure (because the monthly payments can be written off).. also pile on extended warranty/service things you know would make the car attractive on the second hand market. I picked 4 years because extended warranties are usually 3 or 6 years with a small incremental ($200 @ Mercedes) in between. When you pick the 6 years when you are selling the car, you can still say you have 2 years warranty and service on it and it is justifiable to the accountant vs say a 3 years lease and a 3 years warranty extension. You should also consider CPO cars too.

Vinyl wrap it with your company logo on it, it protects the paint, profit advertisement etc more write off potential.

At the end of the lease, you pay off your car, then sell it on the market.. you use the difference to buy something you want on your own account.

In the end, to achieve anything takes patience and hard work.
Advertisement

Last edited by godwin; 03-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You do know whether the write off is granted or not is up to CRA AT THEIR DISCRETION. You have to prove to them that the write off is business related. Not, the other way round. They can be a hard ass and deny you right off the bat. So think about this and then think whether these small little trips you want to make are worth it.. when assuming you will be working 12+ hours in your small business alone, then have to get your accountants / PAs to dig up your day books / phone logs to prove something that can happen up to 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Crisp View Post
Noted, although can't someone get one of his friends to email him and tell him to meet in Langley/Chilliwack and pretend hes some sort of client(mileage)? Just to be clear, I'm not going to send in false claims to the CRA or lie since my dad's company had some troubles with the CRA in the past, so I know how much of a hassle they can be. But if someone wanted to, it'd be easy, wouldn't it? Unless they camp and follow you around 24/7?
Posted via RS Mobile
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #28
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
seems to be more horror stories in this thread than in real life.

as someone wise once said to me "if you're accountant cant write your truck off for you, hire a better accountant"

ive got 3 trucks and had an audit in my 3rd year. they didnt think twice about the trucks, they were only looking for if i did any cash work or missed payroll remittance. they tried to be scary, the accountant took care of it and it was a smooth process. i didnt even meet the auditor.

dont lie or hide things, you'll probably end up causing a hassle, just conduct your business properly and if CRA asks anything, tell them how it is.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:17 AM   #29
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
When I see anyone selling me their service/good driving a fancy car, the first I think is:

How much money is this SOB making on me to get a car like this?

And then I always bargain the shit out of them... so, I think just lease an Acura or something in the higher end of a non-luxury brand. You need to look presentable and professional, not flashy.
LOL, our engineer is the sameway. Keeps his nice rides at home, commutes to work in an old Jetta.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Hey Coffee,

I drive an E90 3-series and I do import/export business, have been using the car 50/50 pleasure/work. You would have to record all mileage used for business, keep receipts, etc. as proof when it comes to reporting tax and writing expenses off. It's true that there are benefits but you would have to diligently keep track of everything. Good luck!

Beer
Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote