REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > REVscene Motorsports

REVscene Motorsports RS Motorsports by The Speed Syndicate
RS Race Team
Pitt Meadows & Mission Raceway. Organize Race Pre-meets, post Racing related event Pics and discussion. In collaboration with The Speed Syndicate, Official race events presenter. [Solicitation of Professional Racing Events Allowed]

Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Any karting racers here?

I am interested in getting started in karting. Car related track days, solo1, and Knox are starting to get quite expensive and I see karting (competitively, but locally and for fun ie: not national level) a good alternative.

From what I understand there are two large main classes right now one being Rotax and the other TaG. I've been looking at some used chassis locally and am having difficulty deciding to go Rotax or TaG. Any local racers on here? How would you suggest going about starting in local karting?
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:08 AM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

there is a track in chilliwack i forgot the name.. ill look it up
k20er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

re Karters

Hello

I am a karter who has been doing it for over 30 years. There are 2 main tracks here one being Greg Moore Raceway in Chilliwack and the other being Sima Racing in Sumas Washington just across the border in Abbotsford. Both are great tracks and offer different driving choices.

As for Rotax or Tag, they are different motors all together and have different driving styles to get use to. I run Tag Leopard 125cc and Tag ICC 125 6 spd shifter kart at Sima.

Either one would be great to start with. Great karting community and always someone to help you with set up.

Two main retailers here in town. One being Italian Motors in Burnaby and the other being Race Lab in Burnaby. Both good.

Try going out to either track and see what you like. You can rent karts to try out.

Cheers and good luck.
JRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I've been out to SIMA once and used one of their nice rentals (the quick ones but I don't think the full race karts because I didn't have enough "experience" in karts) and had a blast. That's what made me really want to go in this direction. Right now there are a few good deals online for used karts with Rotax and Parilla motors. Priced similarly. However one is a fairly new Italkart, and because they have such a strong influence in the local karting community I'm thinking I may go in that direction over the Mach1 and Birel chassis for sale. And from what I understand, IM is much more pointed to TaG/Leopard motors than Rotax.

Last edited by falcon; 03-21-2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

re karting

Yes Italian Motors in my opinion is the best around. Both my karts are Italkarts and are incredible to drive. They have good used one for sale as well that are very well maintained. At Sima ask for Michael or Claudio to help you and tell them Todd sent you. They can hook up you with all you need. Hope to see you at the track. My name is Todd
JRNSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #6

Yeah for sure, I was thinking of heading down there sometime and chatting with them. I've bought a few things from IM before and one of my old co workers's son used to race for them (Tanner Coles, if you know him). I've heard so much over the time I was working with him about IM, that I know they are as good as everyone makes them sound.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Mark, you going to get in on this too? Now that you don't have a race car and all.....

Old 03-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

what's a "starter" setup cost?

i've always wanted to get into kart racing
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Mark, you going to get in on this too? Now that you don't have a race car and all.....
I'd love to but no time to race in Chilliwack
Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM   #10

Between 3-5k for used with spares. New is 6-7k+.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #11

anyone still karting? Currently own a DD2 tracking it at the shanghai F1 track currently. Plan on getting into karting when I move back to vancouver into either tag or rotax.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

I race at the local tracks (Greg Moore Raceway and SIMA).

In my opinion it is best to hold off on purchasing any new two stroke engines at the moment. The rotax series just completely died so its a bit unclear as to where everyone will end up.

I'd recommend renting a 4stroke LO206 at Greg Moore or SIMA for a race day. Renting one is cheap and a great way to check out the track/scene ($300+tax at GMR for a full race day). While they aren't as fast, the grid size is often very big and VERY talented drivers run in LO206.

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver240sx View Post
I race at the local tracks (Greg Moore Raceway and SIMA).

In my opinion it is best to hold off on purchasing any new two stroke engines at the moment. The rotax series just completely died so its a bit unclear as to where everyone will end up.

I'd recommend renting a 4stroke LO206 at Greg Moore or SIMA for a race day. Renting one is cheap and a great way to check out the track/scene ($300+tax at GMR for a full race day). While they aren't as fast, the grid size is often very big and VERY talented drivers run in LO206.

Rich
Oh wow really? Wasn't rotax the dominent class in canada? What about the x125? I see sima has that as their main class other than the lo? I was thinking that's a tempting looking engine if lots of ppl run it in the states. Personally not a fan of rotax anymore due to the sealed crap. Here in Shanghai I have to ship my engine to Hong Kong to get it rebuilt if I want to race since there's no certified rotax rebuilder here. Some of the club members here that race just buy new engines every year to get around that hassle...

Lo looks fun but just the idea of it being so slow after coming from a dd2 isn't really tempting haha. But then again maybe going to a slower class can be beneficial, been repeatedly injuring my ribs recently with the faster karts even with rib protectors. Getting old I guess...
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by J____ View Post
Oh wow really? Wasn't rotax the dominent class in canada? What about the x125? I see sima has that as their main class other than the lo? I was thinking that's a tempting looking engine if lots of ppl run it in the states. Personally not a fan of rotax anymore due to the sealed crap. Here in Shanghai I have to ship my engine to Hong Kong to get it rebuilt if I want to race since there's no certified rotax rebuilder here. Some of the club members here that race just buy new engines every year to get around that hassle...

Lo looks fun but just the idea of it being so slow after coming from a dd2 isn't really tempting haha. But then again maybe going to a slower class can be beneficial, been repeatedly injuring my ribs recently with the faster karts even with rib protectors. Getting old I guess...
In all truth, I don't think anyone knows what is happening to Rotax. From my understanding they will no longer be hosting anymore Rotax Max (big events) so we MIGHT see a massive decline even at the club level.

X125 is a good place to go if you want to run two stroke, however, I believe that means you'll only be able to run at SIMA in a competitive class.

This might sound like a challenge, maybe it is, most guys that come down to LO206 from the fast karts find the competition in LO206 very difficult. That being said the TAG group out at Greg Moore is also getting bigger and is of course very competitive too.

I mainly suggest the LO206 as a rental day just to make sure you enjoy the people/track/competition before purchasing whichever kart you decide. Much better to see and talk to the people at the track 1st, rather than buying someones used (possibly POS) kart off craigslist and finding out:
- the engine isn't being used
- no one is in your class
- the kart has issues
- etc

(I see this happen ALL the time, and those people never come back)

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
In all truth, I don't think anyone knows what is happening to Rotax. From my understanding they will no longer be hosting anymore Rotax Max (big events) so we MIGHT see a massive decline even at the club level.

X125 is a good place to go if you want to run two stroke, however, I believe that means you'll only be able to run at SIMA in a competitive class.

This might sound like a challenge, maybe it is, most guys that come down to LO206 from the fast karts find the competition in LO206 very difficult. That being said the TAG group out at Greg Moore is also getting bigger and is of course very competitive too.

I mainly suggest the LO206 as a rental day just to make sure you enjoy the people/track/competition before purchasing whichever kart you decide. Much better to see and talk to the people at the track 1st, rather than buying someones used (possibly POS) kart off craigslist and finding out:
- the engine isn't being used
- no one is in your class
- the kart has issues
- etc

(I see this happen ALL the time, and those people never come back)

Rich
Thanks for the advice with the local clubs. Will do the rentals thing in the LO's before deciding on a purchase when I get back.

I'm sure the competition is very difficult in the LO206, i guess the engine, the more effect your mistakes will have on the laptime. For me I'm more out to have some fun rather than be super competitive. Maybe do one or two races here and there for fun rather than hardcore competitive racing.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

wow karting in Shanghai must be expensive? Used to play around at the track near gubei / xujiahui area but nothing as hardcore as the circuit.

Do you guys know how to get a child started in go karting locally in van? Any courses or requirements for noobs
Akord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akord View Post
wow karting in Shanghai must be expensive? Used to play around at the track near gubei / xujiahui area but nothing as hardcore as the circuit.

Do you guys know how to get a child started in go karting locally in van? Any courses or requirements for noobs
I'm biased because Blake at BBR has become a VERY good friend of mine; I HIGHLY recommend BBR Karting if you're interested in starting your kid out. He's a fantastic karting coach who's working with a lot of children (and adults) who are getting into the sport.

His website:
Home - BBR Karting

Rich
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2017, 06:49 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akord View Post
It's actually not tooooo bad. Karts cost around 30-50% more to purchase than what they cost in north america, and annual unlimited practice membership at the F1 circuit (expect private events bookings) comes to $3000 cdn per year and includes kart storage and technicians to tune/fix your kart (you'll have to buy your own parts). The indoor kart place you went to in gubei is a rip off I feel, $20 cdn for 8 mins or something like that in their slow karts.

Quote:
I'm biased because Blake at BBR has become a VERY good friend of mine; I HIGHLY recommend BBR Karting if you're interested in starting your kid out. He's a fantastic karting coach who's working with a lot of children (and adults) who are getting into the sport.

His website:
Home - BBR Karting

Rich
so that's their website, been getting redirected to their website that's constantly under construction. THanks
Old 06-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Question for the racers out there. Are cages allowed in any of the series? Karting interests me, but honestly the thought of another driver using my kart as a ramp doesn't give me that warm tingly feeling inside.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:01 PM   #20
Old School RS

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Question for the racers out there. Are cages allowed in any of the series? Karting interests me, but honestly the thought of another driver using my kart as a ramp doesn't give me that warm tingly feeling inside.
Cages are not really a thing in karting. The weight would render you pretty much instantly uncompetitive.

Mark
Old 06-30-2017, 05:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Just wanted to echo what Mark said and suggest coming out to watch a race. I think you'd see everything is pretty damn safe. It isn't TBC, the racers know what their doing.

Rich
Old 06-30-2017, 06:41 PM   #22
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
I've watched competitive racing before, and I know everyone knows what they are doing but accidents do happen. It was just a question on the legalities of it.
Old 07-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
I've watched competitive racing before, and I know everyone knows what they are doing but accidents do happen. It was just a question on the legalities of it.
I think the combo of a good Helmet and neck brace would bring equality good protection comparable to a roll cage for protection in karting. A roll cage not only would add tons of weight but also really mess with the stiffness and handling of the chassis. With no suspension, even the difference of seat stiffness has a huge impact on chassis rigidity and handling in these karts.

I'd worry more about injury to your ribs from pulling high G's than from karts going over your head. I'm out from karting for 2 months after injuring my ribs going through a corner at 100 at the wrong angle and getting some wheel hop. Couldn't even breath or roll over in bed without excruciating pain for 3 weeks.. It's by far the most common injury in the sport aside from hand injury.

I think you'd be pretty safe in terms of not having karts go over you. The way full length bumpers are designed these days really minimize wheel to wheel contact that launches another kart over you.

Last edited by J____; 07-01-2017 at 04:28 PM.
J____ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: