REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Youtubers! Need your help!

Hey guys,

Im doing a project for my sociology class, and it talks about 'escalation of commitment'.

Its basically people failing, over and over, but they keep trying to justify the past, by thinking 'Well I already put this much (effort or money) into it'.

Sort of like how people who spend 10 grand on repairs on their car, which is only worth 6 grand.

But then they spend another 2 grand because they spent 10 grand previously. Even though spending the 2 grand is ONLY justified by the previous effort, and not independently.

This was also done in the vietnam war, where troops were just sent to their deaths, basically to justify the deaths of the previous troops, the mentality was 'Well we can't give up now'

Anyways, does anyone know of a youtube video, that is sort of short, and might show something like this? I'm trying to find a few videos but nothing,

Thanks guys!

Advertisement
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
RS controls my life!

Type "foot in the door technique" as keyword and you get a lot of videos.

Hope that helps,
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I get what you are talking about. In business its called "sunk cost". The idea that trying to maintain something that isn't working, because you put so much money into it isn't the best idea. The money is sunk, and not coming back.

So instead of trying to find a random video that illustrates the point, you may be able to find a short video regarding a business that faced that decision and the ramifications of letting it go.

Hell, there was one on that new CBC show "The Big Decision" just the other night. Happens all the time in business.

There could be plenty of videos illustrating it in war too, but nothing that touches on Vietnam could be considered "short".
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Awesome! I checked wikipedia and it is in fact, also known as sunk cost.

That helps a lot, hopefully I can find something soon !
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote