REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Do I have to pay a US speeding ticket?

Here's the answer, once and for all.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...rticle2376375/

Quote:
“We create a record for that driver in our system and add the citation to their record. When it’s reported to us that it’s unpaid, we suspend that individual’s driving privilege here in Washington. If the driver was to return and get pulled over, they would run a status check and find out that individual was driving with a suspended driving privilege, which is essentially equivalent to driving without a licence,” says Washington State Department of Licensing spokesman Brad Benfield.
Advertisement

Last edited by Eff-1; 03-23-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
ppl didnt know this ? lol my uncle hasnt paid one, cus he's a cheap fuck haha, so everytime we go over i gotta drive. But he's finally paying it i think

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
G'd up! w000weee

^ lol he better pay it or he'll probably get his car impounded next time
mmmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
Why'd you do that for?

i didn't pay mine...got the gf to drive when we go states
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #5
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
Personally, I would find that a little emasculating, but hey, each to their own.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

My gr drove whenever we met for the last 3 years before I was able to buy my own car. It was kinda really convenient... although I felt pretty bad when we went to places far away

Now I drive everytime though, and I try to do favors for her whenever I can for the 3 years of appreciation

For anyone who refuses to let their gf drive because you feel less of a man, its worthwhile to drop that ego once in a while.

Last edited by GGnoRE; 03-23-2012 at 01:47 PM.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You do realise that it is not restricted to driving, right? eg if you are stopped at a road block and they look at every passenger.. if you get flagged you still get into trouble.

Honestly with all the databases being integrated and US getting more security paranoid; it is only the matter of time it would come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post

Last edited by godwin; 03-23-2012 at 03:20 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

why not just pay to be hassle free? you sped... own up to it
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

always pay US speeding tickets!!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #10
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
If i ever get ticketed, i would pay up... not coz i wouldnt let my gf drive, but i get harsh motion sickness if im not driving..

when I set as a passenger in a car, bus, plane, boat, heck even the skytrain, i get headaches... annoying as fuck

Looking dead straight doesnt help, closing my eyes doesnt help either... Im fucked
Old 03-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #11
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,277 Times in 1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XplicitLuder View Post
ppl didnt know this ? lol my uncle hasnt paid one, cus he's a cheap fuck haha, so everytime we go over i gotta drive. But he's finally paying it i think
there's probably been a good 20-30 different threads asking this same question over the years
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:38 PM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Not paying the ticket is worth never driving to the states? How dumb people can get?
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I always pay off my speeding tickets, hurts every time eh lol
Old 03-23-2012, 06:44 PM   #14
straight from the fields of squamton

Maybe if they made it easier to pay the tickets we would?

I have a ticket from washington state that I'd love to pay! beleive me if there was a way I would. But how? years I down the road.

When I first got it, I put it off until the last minute, and when I finally got around to it, I found that it's really quite hard to do. No where on the ticket is there a phone number that leads to a real person, nothing. So i found the local police branch office and called, got a message, 'press 3 for paying a ticket' or something like that. takes me to a phone number/website that won't accept canadian credit cards.

okay...

I get a letter saying it's gone to collections. please pay ticket amount plus interest.
Fuck you collections company you didn't tell me how much interest to pay!!

So in all reality, how do I pay the thing? I don't even have the original ticket anymore, no police department has a working phone, and if I cross the border they'll impound my car?

Has anyone had any luck with this? I havn't heard anything from collections since the first letter maybe 2 years ago

again, I'd love to be able to pay this ticket..... but how
Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM   #15

You should contact the court house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990TSI View Post

I have a ticket from washington state that I'd love to pay! beleive me if there was a way I would. But how? years I down the road.

When I first got it, I put it off until the last minute, and when I finally got around to it, I found that it's really quite hard to do. No where on the ticket is there a phone number that leads to a real person, nothing. So i found the local police branch office and called, got a message, 'press 3 for paying a ticket' or something like that. takes me to a phone number/website that won't accept canadian credit cards.

okay...

I get a letter saying it's gone to collections. please pay ticket amount plus interest.

So in all reality, how do I pay the thing? I don't even have the original ticket anymore, no police department has a working phone, and if I cross the border they'll impound my car?

Has anyone had any luck with this? I havn't heard anything from collections since the first letter maybe 2 years ago

Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 PM   #16

ah yes, mis posted that part of the story, the court house is the place without a working phone. just options to press 1 2 or 3 for more info, then a phone number that doesn't take canadian cards. I meant court house instead of police station.

so I'd have to take a day off work and get someone to drive me to the court house to pay it?
Old 03-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #17

Pretty much, if you don't get stopped at the border first.. the best way is probably get someone to drive you.. so 2 people need to get off work.

Also it depends which type of police stopped you.. tropper / city cop etc. Different places have different locations / court etc.

or you can look up a lawyer?

Quote:
ah yes, mis posted that part of the story, the court house is the place without a working phone. just options to press 1 2 or 3 for more info, then a phone number that doesn't take canadian cards. I meant court house instead of police station.

so I'd have to take a day off work and get someone to drive me to the court house to pay it?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

it is pretty annoying paying us speeding tickets eh
because you would need a zip code to pay online
and if you mail it, you have to get one of the money order thing from the bank......
Old 03-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #19
Banned By Establishment

Quote:

okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_EH View Post
it is pretty annoying paying us speeding tickets eh
because you would need a zip code to pay online
and if you mail it, you have to get one of the money order thing from the bank......

Making excuses "hard to pay" is just bullshit. Takes 5 mins to pay up and admit your wrong doing. I got caught 2 times speeding when going down to the states, I just paid it cause I was wrong.

on the back of the ticket (washington state) it gives you all the info on how you can pay it or dispute it. You can even dispute by mail in writing.

heres all the info u need: INFRACTION PROCEDURES

heres how you pay your ticket with a credit card:
Official Payment Corp.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #20

Great if you happened to get pulled over in skagit county.

I didn't, and they didn't have that fancy website set up.

I really wish I could pay it, beleive me! but Racer_EH has good points too.

I'll admit I was wrong, i sped, i got caught, when it happens in BC I go to one of many local offices and pay it. not the same when it happens 4 hours away and the county that it happened in won't take canadian cards or answer a phone call. and as a bonus if I tried to go pay it in person I could have my car impounded. unless I take a day off and have someone else take a day off, oh and buy a passport for my baby.

in the end, I don't want to make excuses, I just wish it was EASY or EASIER to pay a ticket.

Who thought it would be so hard to give money to someone
Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGnoRE View Post
For anyone who refuses to let their gf drive because you feel less of a man, its worthwhile to drop that ego once in a while.
I don't feel less of a man when I let my gf drive. I'd feel less of a man if I'm forced to let her drive because I'm too cheap to pay a ticket that I deserved. Having her drive is great, but having to say, "hey, let's go down to Seattle to shop, but ummm, you need to drive because I don't want to get arrested."
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 AM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
1990TSI brings up a good point, every county has a different courthouse or payment process which can make it a huge PITA for Canadians who do want to pay up.

I don't know if the process is any different in other counties but I was able to dispute my ticket from Whatcom. Filled the dispute form online and was successful in the end. It's good to keep this in mind if you do get a ticket there. Actually a fairly painless process and they have real people answering phones at the courthouse.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

i had 1 ticket from snohomish and i had to mail in a cheque then wait 3 weeks to make sure they got it then call them to confirm. took a total of maybe 45 minutes to get an answer out of them but i am glad i got that ticket off my back.
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #24
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I'll admit I was wrong, i sped, i got caught, when it happens in BC I go to one of many local offices and pay it. not the same when it happens 4 hours away and the county that it happened in won't take canadian cards or answer a phone call. and as a bonus if I tried to go pay it in person I could have my car impounded. unless I take a day off and have someone else take a day off, oh and buy a passport for my baby.

in the end, I don't want to make excuses, I just wish it was EASY or EASIER to pay a ticket.

Who thought it would be so hard to give money to someone
1. Go to bank
2. Have bank draft made up in USD
3. Mail USD bank draft to whatever county you owe money to

Sure online payment and credit card processing is more convenient, but I don't buy the argument that it's hard to make a payment.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

that link i posted for officialpayment.com works for like all the county in washington state.

making a payment is not hard at all even if u have to mail it in. i am sure if u really wanted to buy something and had to make a payment the same way, u wont complain at all about it.
BMW M5 is offline   Reply With Quote