REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
ICBC and stolen car - few questions

dad just had his car stolen and have a few questions as per the thread here http://www.revscene.net/forums/66530...e-324-dvg.html

1) If the car is not found, will ICBC give some sort of reimbursement?
2) If the car is found but trashed/damaged, who pays for the clean up/fixing up?
3) Do auto wrecks run the VIN/generic data (color, body type) through a "stolen car" database before it's stripped for parts? etc..

Thanks guys.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Glorious Gaming PC Master Race

-there is a certain amount of time that must pass before they consider it really gone.
-if its found and trashed, but not deemed a write off, they will fix and pay for restoration.
-all wreckers are supposed to check VIN's
Old 03-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo E View Post
-there is a certain amount of time that must pass before they consider it really gone.
-if its found and trashed, but not deemed a write off, they will fix and pay for restoration.
-all wreckers are supposed to check VIN's
As long as the vehicle in question has theft insurance.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

depends on your coverage
iamed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:22 AM   #5
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
not all wreckers check. one of the guys on bcrotary had his car stolen from his driveway with a flatdeck and found it in a junkyard as a cube.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 AM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

1. if vehicle was not found after 30 days, ICBC writes off the stolen vehicle and pays out the owner the market value or what ever they think its worth.
2. If vehicle is found and was thrashed, owner pays for comprehensive deductible. If owner has Roadside+, dedutible gets waived off and ICBC repairs it for free of charge.
3. Not sure about that...

For #1 and #2 as long as they have Comprehensive coverage then they don't have to worry.. If not then they are out of luck.
evil_jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,958 Times in 287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_jigglypuff View Post
1. if vehicle was not found after 30 days, ICBC writes off the stolen vehicle and pays out the owner the market value or what ever they think its worth.
2. If vehicle is found and was thrashed, owner pays for comprehensive deductible. If owner has Roadside+, dedutible gets waived off and ICBC repairs it for free of charge.

For #1 and #2 as long as they have Comprehensive coverage then they don't have to worry.. If not then they are out of luck.

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...a3fc/event.png
MWR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #8
Old School RS

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MWR34 View Post
Spoiler!
This is ICBC we are talking about... more like:

Mark
Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
not all wreckers check. one of the guys on bcrotary had his car stolen from his driveway with a flatdeck and found it in a junkyard as a cube.
The junkyard turned an RX7 into a nissan?

Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #10
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Lets assume that ICBC pays $1000(lets say) after 30 days and the owner has purchased a replacement car within that time period. What IF the car is found on the 40th day? What happens? The stolen car would be in much better mechanical condition than the replacement guaranteed. Does the owner get to choose to which car to keep?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Just like any total loss claim from an accident, once you are paid out any property belongs to ICBC. ICBC will then resell the car or send it to salvage. I don't think the original owner has the option to buy back the salvage/wreck like with a total loss due to accident but I'm not sure.

As many ICBC cheapass penny pinching cases as there are, to be fair to ICBC, there have been many occassions of ICBC paying out more than what the owner originally paid for the vehicle. So payouts on market valuation can really go both ways.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_jigglypuff View Post

Like I posted above, you need theft insurance which at the minimum is covered under specified perils.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote