REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Warning: Scammer in a Blue Ford Explorer (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665437-warning-scammer-blue-ford-explorer.html)

Araaadi 03-27-2012 10:52 AM

Warning: Scammer in a Blue Ford Explorer

Today on my way to the gym, two random guys in a light blue ford explorer asked me if i wanted a cheap projector. Me being stupid decided to take a look and they said its a $7g projector and they had a screen and brackets and everything. They had a bill of lading showing they got 6 but the shipper accidentally gave them 9 so they were trying to sell it cheap. Me being stupid gave him $300 for it. I went straight to my bros work to try it out and it seemed to be working. So i decided to google it (probs first thing I should of done) to find that it was a big scam with the same
story. Seems like hes been all across Canada. I know I'm retarded for falling for it. Just hoping I can stop someone else from making the same dumb mistake.

Manic! 03-27-2012 10:55 AM

It's called the white van scam. People have been doing it forever.

InvisibleSoul 03-27-2012 10:56 AM

What model is it? Is it worth $300?

twitchyzero 03-27-2012 10:57 AM

there's been a few threads on it in RS
if anything on the side is too good to be true..it probably is stolen/fake/scam

Araaadi 03-27-2012 10:58 AM

alumen a700. Probs worth $50 tops. Had no time to really test it.

SkinnyPupp 03-27-2012 11:00 AM

Tempted to thank you for sharing, but everyone should know this scam already :fuckthatshit:

Even if you haven't heard of it, how obvious is it?

Greed makes fools of people i guess

Simplex123 03-27-2012 11:00 AM

So does it work?

About a month ago in Richmond, a guy in a black SUV in the other lane told me to lower my window and offered to sell me a surround sound system for cheap. I ignored him and he followed me for 2 blocks asking me lol Not sure if it was a scam or just stolen stuff. Would've notified the police but turned

shenmecar 03-27-2012 11:01 AM

http://www.smiteahippie.com/wp-conte...lson_haha2.jpg

InvisibleSoul 03-27-2012 11:09 AM

You can resell it for $6000. LoL

A700 Alumen Projector & Alumen Projection Screen New In Box

Fraud and Scam Sightings & Locations - Canada - SCAM SHIELD - An organization protecting citizens against scams and fraud schemes through advocacy and information

dub.g 03-27-2012 11:11 AM

welcome to 2004

it varies, from 4 door cars like a chrysler 300 with 2 guys in a suit claiming they are selling 2 brand new armani suits because they dont have enough space in their luggage just before they are leaving for the airport

white van scam, varies from electronics, to car parts, usually found in parking lots and red light intersections..

and

a guy asking for couple of change so he can call a cab, use a pay phone and claims live in an "apartment" behind a mall that doesnt exist, sometimes, he has a bill and ask u for change, the bill is fake.. usually can be found outside convenience stores or small asian restaurants

ruthless 03-27-2012 11:14 AM

There is also a red Ford Windstar rolling around Surrey. He asked me at the TD in Newton if I wanted to buy a projector.

7seven 03-27-2012 11:14 AM

I really have no idea what would compel someone to buy anything from a random stranger driving around soliciting goods for cheap

Pooface55 03-27-2012 11:20 AM

I remember being offered speakers from a white van in a parking lot at BCIT. They were shady as f***. If you fall for this scam you deserve it LOL.

spyker 03-27-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7seven (Post 7865699)
I really have no idea what would compel someone to buy anything from a random stranger driving around soliciting goods for cheap

There is a old saying that still holds true today.....there is a sucker born every minute.

The_AK 03-27-2012 11:47 AM

Calling yourself retarded is irrational, technically nothing they did was a scam. They claimed it retails for much more (if the item was actually sold in stores that is) and gave you a promising sales speech. I don't see what you should be so mad about right now. You shouldn't Feel scammed. The only reason you feel scammed is because of the information you learned after the fact. Take that info out. What if the projector is working fine? Would you still feel scammed if you set it up in your home and you were pleased with the result? Or does it need to be sold in a best buy? I think the only lying they did is say that it IS sold in stores, I bet nobody carries it.

Not saying I work for these people but you need to consider the other side of the situation.

GGnoRE 03-27-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 7865723)
Calling yourself retarded is irrational.

Buying something on the road from solicitors just because they claim its on sale, and then trying to find a use for it seems pretty irrational to me

$_$ 03-27-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 7865723)
Calling yourself retarded is irrational, technically nothing they did was a scam. They claimed it retails for much more (if the item was actually sold in stores that is) and gave you a promising sales speech. I don't see what you should be so mad about right now. You shouldn't Feel scammed. The only reason you feel scammed is because of the information you learned after the fact. Take that info out. What if the projector is working fine? Would you still feel scammed if you set it up in your home and you were pleased with the result? Or does it need to be sold in a best buy? I think the only lying they did is say that it IS sold in stores, I bet nobody carries it.

Not saying I work for these people but you need to consider the other side of the situation.

How does this make sense? They claimed that the projector is worth a couple grand. Things are worth x$ in retail stores usually because they are higher quality or have brand, or at least is backed up with warranty. Are you saying a 720p TV is the same as 1080p TV? So OP shouldn't be mad as long as it "works"? No, OP is mad because the people LIED and were SCAMMERS. They told him that the retail value is worth a couple g's and then sold it to him for 300 but in fact the projector is worth less then 50 bucks.

OP- Don't feel too bad. I have had friends that was also scammed into buying speakers from white van people. These are professional scammers, and GREAT salesmen. They could be using their sales skills to do something productive, but would rather do shady ass shit instead. I called one out at Parker Place and told him to go fuck himself.

The_AK 03-27-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGnoRE (Post 7865730)
Buying something on the road from solicitors just because they claim its on sale, and then trying to find a use for it seems pretty irrational to me

Good point,

op are you in the market for a projector or did you think you were going to be all :fuckyea: and resell it later?

invader 03-27-2012 12:07 PM

For anyone who is approached by someone like this in the future. Fake interest, take a pic of their plate and forward it to the police.

For the OP, the best thing you can do is tell everyone so they don't fall for the same thing. As embarrassing as it is, the only way to battle fraud is to educate others.

gretzky 03-27-2012 12:09 PM

WOW i never even heard about this scam... but about a month ago after walking out of canadian tire on kingsway some guy pulled up in a blue dodge van and asked me if i wanted to buy a projector.... i said no sorry... i assumed he was a junky right after he asked me but when i looked at him he looked like a perfectly normal person...

fd3 03-27-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub.g (Post 7865693)
welcome to 2004

a guy asking for couple of change so he can call a cab, use a pay phone and claims live in an "apartment" behind a mall that doesnt exist, sometimes, he has a bill and ask u for change, the bill is fake.. usually can be found outside convenience stores or small asian restaurants

this happened to my buddy a few years back..
was with him when it happened.. HAHA
i told him not to do it but he "felt bad"

his story was he needed a cab, someone stole his car, he lived up the street
he gave him a business card, but he had no other information said hed give it back to him the next day as he works next door he was also afraid that "the people who stole his car have all his information and the keys to his house"
so he needed to get back asap, he offered to call him a cab. but the guy said he called one and its on his way haha.

first asked for $5, than he said do u have a 10 instead? he gave the 10 but the guy kept the 15$ lol!

ToneCapone 03-27-2012 12:17 PM

I've heard about the white van scam before but thanks for the reminder.

Honestly I've been ripped off before, but also got some really killer deals on the streets. It happens... it's just an expensive lesson to learn: do your research and ask lots of questions.

The_AK 03-27-2012 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by $_$ (Post 7865732)
How does this make sense? They claimed that the projector is worth a couple grand. Things are worth x$ in retail stores usually because they are higher quality or have brand, or at least is backed up with warranty. Are you saying a 720p TV is the same as 1080p TV? So OP shouldn't be mad as long as it "works"? No, OP is mad because the people LIED and were SCAMMERS. They told him that the retail value is worth a couple g's and then sold it to him for 300 but in fact the projector is worth less then 50 bucks.

OP- Don't feel too bad. I have had friends that was also scammed into buying speakers from white van people. These are professional scammers, and GREAT salesmen. They could be using their sales skills to do something productive, but would rather do shady ass shit instead. I called one out at Parker Place and told him to go fuck himself.

:accepted:

Given the information OP was given and satisfaction he could have received he shouldn't be mad. Only after once he looked further into it he should be mad.

They claimed the projector would sell in retail stores for $7000. They're not saying ANYTHING about the quality of the projector or if it DOES sell at that price or even if its WORTH $7000 (unless they did specify "This projector is worth $7000"). Another question to op, did they specify anything about the quality of the speakers or did you just assume "well if they say it would sell for $7000 then it MUST be of high quality!"?

If I go to Future Shop and tell them I want to sell my computer for $100,000 I'm not saying its quality is worth $100,000 or the brand is worth $100,000, its simply stating a price at which I would like to sell it at. They did the same here.

Actual worth and asking price are two different things. In addition, the thing that makes this legal is the lack of information they gave to OP.

Now if a guy approaches me on the street, pitches me something that looks like a leather jacket, I think to myself "well this looks like a nice jacket, it fits and I look good in it", and buy it, I should be happy with it at that point if I base my purchase on the benefits I perceived at that point.

The reason OP is mad is because he researched it further and learned that what he went through is equivalent to a series of other similar events.

Now take out the research, say OP DIDNT google this. Went home, installed the projector, and it did exactly as he expected it to do (Fucking projector shit bullshit onto a wall because its a projector). Would he still be mad? Should he be mad?

Only once they start making false product claims this becomes a scam and is illegal. Op used brbimagination to create benefits for himself at the time of purchase.

AzNightmare 03-27-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-ternal-3 (Post 7865757)
I've heard about the white van scam before but thanks for the reminder.

Honestly I've been ripped off before, but also got some really killer deals on the streets. It happens... it's just an expensive lesson to learn: do your research and ask lots of questions.

Killer deals on the streets? Care to share some stories?

I only encountered one of these once, where a guy was trying to sell me
designer jackets, giving me the story how he just came from a fashion show
and he had to get rid of these jackets cause he couldn't take them with him
on a plane. And he even used a lighter to burn the leather to prove it was
fireproof and top quality (although I'm not sure if all leather has some sort of resistance to fire).
Anyway, I declined, cause I was suspicious, I don't wear designer clothing, and he was selling each jacket for $900.

Next time, if I ever encounter one again. I'll play along, and ask for his ID.
Saying I need to have some reinsurance of knowing who he is before I can buy his items.
Then take some pictures of his car plates and then walk off after. :lol
See where that goes.

HondaGuy 03-27-2012 12:51 PM

Sorry you got cheated into that scam op...

Back in 2001-2, 2guys in a white minivan pulled up on east 12th/clark and asked me if I needed high quality car electronics for my car, I asked how much? $300 for the best alpine amps subs etc...and needed to give them $100 so they could run to the back of this building to grab and pay remaining when return. I said ok, where? He said up clark st and turn left, I said ok I follow your car, they turned left, and I turned right and drove away...:joy::joy: