REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Sourcing the great foods of Canada for Asia (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665487-sourcing-great-foods-canada-asia.html)

Wongtouski 03-27-2012 10:43 PM

Sourcing the great foods of Canada for Asia

Hey guys,

I just moved to new role during my trainee stint with a company here in HK. I'm looking to source and bring in a bunch of Canadian stuff to our stores as

1) We're always looking for new and exciting things the world over
2) There's things I like from Canada that we don't have here
3) Oversaturation of UK, Aussy, NZ stuff IMO

Problem is, the only thing I can think of is Polaris water, I've been away from Van for so long I'm not sure what's new and exciting in Van! So if you have any suggestions on the categories below, you know, stuff that you like new or existing (and why), I'll definitely look into it. Really appreciate your help.

P.S. Suggest anything American too if you like.

Categories of interest:

Breakfast Foods
Coffee
Water
Non Carbonated Drinks
Carbonated
Juices
Jams/Spreads
Oils (cooking)
Baking Aids
Cooknig Aids (i.e. some organic whatever overpriced salt or something)
Canned goods
Sauces
Dried fruits/nuts

MaximalLazy 03-27-2012 11:14 PM

Is your list for real?

If it is... then are you asking for advice to rip consumers off in HK?

You stone cold.

axxess 03-27-2012 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximalLazy (Post 7866588)

You stone cold.

http://i.imgur.com/wFUU4l.jpg

artmotion 03-27-2012 11:48 PM

I think it's going to be pretty hard to differentiate between Canadian and American. To me, the two sort of blend together. I also think we need to know what the purpose of the types of food you're planning on importing would be. If you're just planning on selling it in a supermarket for homesick Canadian and American expats in HK, there are a couple of options already available:

Hong Kong Hustle Hey Kool-Aid! American junk food in H.K.! - Hong Kong nightlife, street fashion, culture, and cool

Off the top of my head, some things I wanted from Van which I couldn't get in HK were:
- Solid deodorant
- Certain chocolate bars (Mr. Big)
- Doughnuts (although I wouldn't imagine you would ship these)
- Canadian beers (although you could buy them at CitySuper for some ridiculous prices)

Wongtouski 03-28-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaximalLazy (Post 7866588)
Is your list for real?

If it is... then are you asking for advice to rip consumers off in HK?

You stone cold.

Dude, anything imported = rip off consumers.

Doesn't matter where its from US/UK/Japan. Frankly people in HK don't care (and don't have a choice really).

Wongtouski 03-28-2012 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artmotion (Post 7866631)
I think it's going to be pretty hard to differentiate between Canadian and American. To me, the two sort of blend together. I also think we need to know what the purpose of the types of food you're planning on importing would be. If you're just planning on selling it in a supermarket for homesick Canadian and American expats in HK, there are a couple of options already available:

Hong Kong Hustle Hey Kool-Aid! American junk food in H.K.! - Hong Kong nightlife, street fashion, culture, and cool

Off the top of my head, some things I wanted from Van which I couldn't get in HK were:
- Solid deodorant
- Certain chocolate bars (Mr. Big)
- Doughnuts (although I wouldn't imagine you would ship these)
- Canadian beers (although you could buy them at CitySuper for some ridiculous prices)

Thanks dude. Yeah I've been to those stores already, HK in general does a pretty good job of getting the big boys in, I'm trying to go a diff path by bringing in more obscure brands in. We're starting to get big on Organic/Natural foods, and I really want to look into the upstart coffee brands/coffee shops. I just couldn't think of any cool new things from say downtown/yaletown etc.

Price wise, we can't REALLY overcharge because the market reacts so freakin quickly here. We're not Wholefoods lol

TRDood 03-28-2012 12:55 AM

When I go back to HK, I usually bring with me:

Canadian ham (big ones from Superstore)
Quakers oatmeal (grandma likes it)
Boxes of peaches in the summer if available

For me when I go back for vacation, I wish I have:
Aquafina water because water in HK taste like shit.
Canadian Coca Cola (too sweet in HK)
Smoke salmon
Real king crab (HK ones look funny)
Lobster (HK ones are skinny)
General fruits

SkinnyPupp 03-28-2012 12:56 AM

Curious what store is this for?

godwin 03-28-2012 01:14 AM

There are a few stores in the Central area that are stocked with Kirkland products already. The prices are actually about the same as Costco in BC (since they import the stuff from Costco US). Not to mention free delivery and all that.

Last time I flew, the cabin crew passed on a few boxes on Tims to the ground crew in HK.

bcrdukes 03-28-2012 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wongtouski (Post 7866685)
I really want to look into the upstart coffee brands/coffee shops

This will destroy you and put you out of business so fast.

Avoid niche market coffee unless you want to get something in mass quantities and is readily available like Tim Horton's coffee.

jackmeister 03-28-2012 11:33 AM

I haven't been in HK for 3 years so I'm just throwing random ideas out there

Canadian Beef (even US Angus beef in HK tastes like shit)
Ketchup Chips
Canadian Bacon
Happy Planet Juices?

FN-2199 03-28-2012 01:25 PM

In before OP posts he's coming back to Canada because his business failed.

GGnoRE 03-28-2012 01:43 PM

I don't know about HK, but for Korea the only products that are really wanted from Canada are supplements (like Omega-3) and maple syrup

xmisstrinh 03-28-2012 01:55 PM

my family likes to bring Crest toothpaste back to vietnam cus apparently the ones made in asia suck =\

miss_crayon 03-28-2012 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GGnoRE (Post 7867110)
I don't know about HK, but for Korea the only products that are really wanted from Canada are supplements (like Omega-3) and maple syrup

This. My family is always asking us to bring maple syrup, supplements and those nougat candies

willystyle 03-28-2012 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 7867779)
This. My family is always asking us to bring maple syrup, supplements and those nougat candies

No wonder my korean friend's dad's business is doing so well exporting Canadian health supplements.

Culture_Vulture 03-28-2012 11:03 PM

Actually, while we're on the topic, I would love for Canada to push for a FTA with Hong Kong. Would be fucking awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

artmotion 03-29-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 7867779)

YES! Vitamins and supplements are super expensive in HK compared to here!

FeistyBearH22a 03-29-2012 01:57 AM

Quinoa?

Its not a Canadian thing but its gotten to pretty big.

jtrinh 03-29-2012 06:44 AM

Try looking around here? I tried googling..

Canadian Food Exporters Association
Welcome to Canada Food! $拿大食品網$迎您!

Spoon 03-29-2012 08:56 AM

+1 for ketchup chips
My sister brings a few bags back everytime she visits.

Hmm are vitamins/supplements legal to ship? I know meds aren't.

godwin 03-29-2012 10:36 AM

It is HK, pretty much everything goes; even meds just because the public healthcare system won't use them, doesn't mean street level pharmacies etc don't sell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon (Post 7868151)
Hmm are vitamins/supplements legal to ship? I know meds aren't.

godwin 03-29-2012 10:37 AM

You can source is much cheaply from South America?

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeistyBearH22a (Post 7868035)
Quinoa?

Its not a Canadian thing but its gotten to pretty big.

godwin 03-29-2012 10:38 AM

Why? It doesn't mean we don't have to pay HST.. HK already don't have taxes AND taxes in China are only for their domestic / local only. If we have a FTA with HK, it would be limited to goods produced in HK and they don't produce much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Culture_Vulture (Post 7867859)
Actually, while we're on the topic, I would love for Canada to push for a FTA with Hong Kong. Would be fucking awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeee

murd0c 03-29-2012 01:21 PM

As well Coffee Crisp chocolate bars. I'm not sure if they are in HK but I know they don't sell them in the US.