REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Balsillie resigns; BlackBerry giving up on the consumer market (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665608-balsillie-resigns%3B-blackberry-giving-up-consumer-market.html)

StaxBundlez 03-29-2012 08:09 PM

Balsillie resigns; BlackBerry giving up on the consumer market

:fuuuuu:

Balsillie resigns; BlackBerry giving up on the consumer market -

lol this is how i feel right now

tool001 03-29-2012 08:36 PM

blackberry had plans to open up bes to iphone and android market.....or did they give up on that idea also?

Tapioca 03-29-2012 08:41 PM

That's a shame.

The Bold 9900 is actually a very solid phone. I'm glad I now own an artifact of the long and storied Canadian telecommunications industry.

Gh0stRider 03-29-2012 08:45 PM

lol at the video

"build a fire and sing a couple of songs"

:lawl:

Hondaracer 03-29-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tool001 (Post 7868842)
blackberry had plans to open up bes to iphone and android market.....or did they give up on that idea also?

imessage > BBM

outside of the encryption, imessage stomps on BBM

tiger_handheld 03-29-2012 09:12 PM

I called this few years ago and had a long debate with a user from RS. Entering the consumer market was the worst decision RIM made. Profits are super thin - should've stuck with CORP and played up on OBAMA's use of a bb.

tiger_handheld 03-29-2012 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 7868885)
imessage > BBM

how is imessage > bbm?

can you do group convo's on imessage?

encryption is the bread and butter of bbm. why does India/China want RIM to open up encryption?!? yet they dont give a hoot about imessage.

for the record - i'm an iphone user and previous bb fanatic. switched due to lack of apps.

BillyBishop 03-29-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7868893)
can you do group convo's on imessage?

Yes, actually

Vansterdam 03-29-2012 09:31 PM

if the new 5G ipod touch is awesome it be worth it to get a 9900 +tether

best of both worlds. BBM + IMESSAGE :fullofwin:

dachinesedude 03-29-2012 09:39 PM

their death is imminent, they're just delaying it right now

Santofu 03-29-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7868915)
if the new 5G ipod touch is awesome it be worth it to get a 9900 +tether

best of both worlds. BBM + IMESSAGE :fullofwin:

It cost $5 bucks to buy an app in order to bb tether completely

JesseBlue 03-29-2012 09:44 PM

Most of what bbm does is encrypt dumb messages like "wtf", "lol"
"asl" anyway...

parm104 03-29-2012 09:51 PM

Is the company crippled? Yes...Is it over for them? No, not yet. They still have the options of letting someone else take over, someone who knows how to get them out of this.

It's simply too large of a company to tank...A big player will inevitably come in and take over.

And all this is coming from a Blackberry-hater, me. But at the same time, I am a Canadian-industry supporter, so I hope what I'm saying has some validity to it.

Firmware 03-29-2012 09:54 PM

Cough cough Samsung to the rescue , like microsoft to apple back in the day.

tool001 03-29-2012 09:58 PM

too bad, what makes them soo awesome (security-BES) also makes them weak (lack of apps, due to strict hold of OS/security)...of course marketing/dropping ball on timely release of new phones

SkinnyPupp 03-29-2012 10:08 PM

Yey now I don't have to hear whining about :derp: "WHY ISN'T THIS APP AVAILABLE FOR BLACKBERRY" all the time :fuckthatshit:

shawnly1000 03-29-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiger_handheld (Post 7868890)
I called this few years ago and had a long debate with a user from RS. Entering the consumer market was the worst decision RIM made. Profits are super thin - should've stuck with CORP and played up on OBAMA's use of a bb.

I don't even know if Obama's phone could be considered a true BB

Obama's new BlackBerry: The NSA's secure PDA? | Politics and Law - CNET News

mmmk 03-29-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

imessage > BBM

LOL iMessage is so hurting I rather use WhatsApp or Hookt :rukidding:

Duff Beer 03-30-2012 12:05 AM

Didn't they just build the Biggest Blackberry Store in Asia, in Indonesia? :rukidding:

DanHibiki 03-30-2012 01:30 AM

Quote:

imessage > BBM

I'm an iPhone user and never owned a Blackberry but this claim is outrageous. iMessage is total crap. BBM and any other IM apps have features that outweigh iMessage 100 to 1.

Can you do group chats? Yes. Can you invite people into a already made group chat? No. Can you leave a group chat? NOPE!.

Can you choose between sending as an iMessage or text? Nope.

And that' just the few lacking features.

Purely 03-30-2012 01:48 AM

Seriously? imessage > bbm? There is nothing special about imessage, and even whatsapp > imessage.

In my opinion, Blackberry should just go back to focusing on business users, and the physical keyboard. However, they need to dramatically improve browsing, battery life, and make these phones reliable. So many of my friend's Blackberry either died, or requires constant battery pulling to reboot phone.

wstce92 03-30-2012 02:14 AM

they should play their strengths, I went to a 9900 from a HTC Desire,
I kept up with the latest and greatest Android versions, had a ridiculous amount of apps.
And quite honestly, other than tethering, even with all the stuff I had on Android, I've yet to find that I'm lacking anything on my 9900 that I really really need.
When it comes to chatting with people, updating fb or twitter, uploading pics and videos on fb or twitter; BB is great. BB actually does social very well, and tons of room for improvement. They should expand and push a "blackberry community", imagine if you go to a party or club or any other event, and your bbm allowed you to meet and chat with other BB users who were also there. Instead of trying to break into the cliques that use iPhone and Android, why not have your marketing dept push a Blackberry clique instead.

dboy 03-30-2012 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanHibiki (Post 7869184)
I'm an iPhone user and never owned a Blackberry but this claim is outrageous. iMessage is total crap. BBM and any other IM apps have features that outweigh iMessage 100 to 1.

Can you do group chats? Yes. Can you invite people into a already made group chat? No. Can you leave a group chat? NOPE!.

Can you choose between sending as an iMessage or text? Nope.

And that' just the few lacking features.

yes you can

DanHibiki 03-30-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 7869200)
yes you can

Without having to go into settings to turn iMessage off and without downloading jailbreak apps like BiteSMS?

Personally I think Kakaotalk is the best IM app out there. Sometimes the msgs send and receive a bit slower than Whatsapp but everything else about it is much better than Whatsapp.

tonyvu 03-30-2012 03:23 AM

My 9900 probably going to be the last blackberry i'll ever own... One of the best phones i've ever used... going to miss it after it dies on me, eventually