REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Yellow pages scam?

My parents own a small business, and yesterday they got a bill from Yellow-page-canada.com for $1500 for business listing on their site. A quick search online shows that it's a potential scam. From what I understand, a few months ago, they got a fax from them asking them to update their address and contact info. Of course, they thought it was from the real yellow pages and filled out the info. Anyways, just wondering if anybody else has been targeted by this and what success they had in dealing with it? I've told my parents to call the anti-fraud centre as suggested online.

link here to the scam: http://www.competitionbureau.gc.ca/e...eng/03439.html

"By using symbols that closely resemble the well-known trademark of the Yellow Pages Group, the companies and individuals deceived consumers into believing that they were merely updating contact information for an online business directory listing. In fact, buried in the fine print was a stipulation that, by returning the form, victims were committing to a new two-year contract for a listing at an annual cost of $1,428 with companies that have no relation to the Yellow Pages Group"
Advertisement
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Dirty bitches.

I really have no respect for this shit.

First..too much paper trail. Second..they are being greedy and third they are just begging to be shut down on trademark infringement and multiple other issues.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #3
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
wow that's uber shady.
hope your parents can go to that bill
greasy as fuck
doesn't entering in to a contract require a signature of sorts?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
R&R
I STILL don't get it

+1
they did the same thing to my parents business as well
R&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Yeah I get these as well. Be careful of the ones with BS licenses. It can be a real low amount so most business' will just pay it, no questions.
Pooface55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

wow, sucks to see soo much scammers rising in Vancouver....

Hope your parents can tell those fuckers to
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

hrm.. never realized there was another company pretending to be YPG. was just browsing thru the real ypg site and found a warning.

http://360.yellowpages.ca/files/Bogu...ete_19Mars.pdf
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Good to know. Never heard of this scam.

And like Pooface said, at such low costs, most companies will not even think about it and just blindly throw their money away.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:56 AM   #9
Banned (ABWS)

Quick update, if anybody gets hits with the same scam. Call up Competition Bureau to set up a case #. They've advised us to just ignore the bill. They've already been prosecuted and fined once, but they're still doing it.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

what they do is send a fax that looks like you are just updating your current business listing on yellow pages. someone signs it sends it back and next thing you know you have a bill in the mail.
deuel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

too many scams from this ive heard of. I do SEO marketing and full website services for many companies locally and unfortunately some have had super bad experiences with YP and some other big name agencies.

Hit me up if you need someone to look after marketing or updating your website- i charge A LOT LESS than YP lol their rates are ridiculous in most cases.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
From what I understand if your parents didn't sign any bill twice, they have every legal right to not pay it.

Also if they never provided their social insurance number then they can't send their bill to collection. Right?
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Yellow-Pages-Canada.com is based out of Russia. LoL
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Yellow-Pages-Canada.com is based out of Russia. LoL
On our bill, their head office is in Dubai lol
Old 03-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

YPG just won the court case against them in early march.

Winning the Fight Against Fraud: Court Ruling Condemns a Fraudulent Company | Life In Yellow

"We are quite pleased by the fact that the Court ordered Yellow-Page-Canada.com to return money to the victims and that some punitive damages were also imposed, From now on, any “contract” signed with this fraudulent “Yellow-Page-Canada” company will be considered null and void."
sam0m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
This has been going on for years and years. When I worked in our family business I'd mess with them so hard. It almost always starts out as, "I'm so and so calling from bullshit business. I'm just calling to make sure we have your up to date address and phone number for our latest issue, phone book, advertisement or whatever other bullshit we feel like making up today."

It's honestly pretty obvious what there up to when you hear them call often enough. It used to be a bright spot in my day seeing how long I could fuck with them before they'd hang up on me or I'd tell them the jigs up go fuck yourself.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #17
I am Hook'd on RS

I answered a phone call and they asked me if the imformation was still up to date and they read it out and it was all correct and i said yes. They said it was from a 3 digit company 3 something something, didnt hear clearly and before i could ask again they hung up. I was wonder if i can still get billed if i didnt sign any form. I only said yes and thats it.
milkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:22 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

"No Engrish" usually ends the call.
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:32 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

This has happened to our business as well. They basically use the same logo, but removed the border so when you look at it, you don't suspect anything fishy...
RESN is offline   Reply With Quote