REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   kwok brothers arrested in HK (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665730-kwok-brothers-arrested-hk.html)

welfare 04-01-2012 09:48 AM

kwok brothers arrested in HK

surprised this wasn't posted here yet.
now, i'm not an economist major, but i'm curious to see what effect, if any, this will have on china's economy. and ultimately, the world's.

Billionaire Kwok brothers arrested in Hong Kong, Sun Hung Kai Properties value plunges

yray 04-01-2012 09:55 AM

Nothing, other than their shares tanking which already did on Friday.

shawnly1000 04-01-2012 09:57 AM

I'm curious as to why/how do you think this will affect the world economy.

welfare 04-01-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 7871291)

well, like i said, i'm no expert by any means, but they are asia's largest real estate developer. event's of smaller scale have been known to spark stock market crashes.
and as i understand it, again, no expert, much of the world's economy is hanging on by china. and china does follow the model for economic crash that has been seen in the past.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 04-01-2012 10:06 AM

it's nearly impossible to not participate in the corruption when a person owns that much asset, only a few knows how to spell integrity.

Bahhbeehhaaaa 04-01-2012 10:07 AM

Mmmm you know somthing.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnly1000 (Post 7871291)

Matsuda 04-01-2012 10:08 AM

those kwoks are always up to no good..

jackmeister 04-01-2012 10:42 AM

-Donald Tsang got shafted for getting a free boat ride from Macau to HK on Sing Tao's owner's yacht.
-Henry Tang got shafted for having an extra basement
-The Kwoks probably got shafted for outdated haircuts?

But seriously, would it even be surprising considering their prominence? They have business interests all over HK and Asia, they're guaranteed high-level access to officials, and they're super rich. It's to easy to cross the line between being nice and being bribed. I guess they're just being unlucky they got caught? or is there some other ulterior motive? Keep in mind, HK officially became part of the China communist system a week or two ago.

welfare 04-01-2012 11:07 AM

well, i think people tend to want to believe that wheels were inadequately greased. i don't think that's the case. but who really knows.

here's another interesting article. with more on what you're referring to:
Review & Outlook: Hong Kong's Property Bust - WSJ.com

PiuYi 04-01-2012 05:32 PM

i think when you have your hands in so many cookie jars its actually really DIFFICULT to remain 'uncorrupted'

the laws surrounding corruption, what can and cannot be done, are so complex when you have so many networks/business dealings that alot of the time it might not even be intentional... i'm sure when you're that wealthy, stealing for a small gain isn't even on your mind

but then again i'm just speculating, my 2c

Verdasco 04-01-2012 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matsuda (Post 7871301)
those kwoks are always up to no good..

got into a little trouble in the neighbourhood...

RFlush 04-01-2012 06:22 PM

I wonder if the ICAC will ever go after Li Ka Shing. I hope so, that bastard.

StylinRed 04-01-2012 06:33 PM

http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/2...aeunet2011.jpg

SkinnyPupp 04-01-2012 07:41 PM

Those FUCKING shows lol :facepalm:

One good thing that comes out of this is that it shows they will go after anyone, no matter how 'big deal' they are.

chun 04-01-2012 07:59 PM

Wonder if there'll be any effect to the Aspac developments here.

GLOW 04-01-2012 08:14 PM

At least they weren't arrested for hitting up DTES hookers.

G-spec 04-01-2012 08:15 PM

Communist party is cleaning house, or so they want the world to think.... their own house is dirty as shit too, but then when someone questions them they fck around and execute a person or two just to show the world they mean business....

but on another note, possible new facepalm gif in the making ? or is he just picking his nose, i cant tell

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/6386017.bin

punkwax 04-01-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 7871733)
got into a little trouble in the neighbourhood...

got into one little fight...

pastarocket 04-02-2012 02:00 PM

Hmmm, should some Hong Kong billionaires be scared of their shady business dealings after the Kwoks got arrested? Time to call the lawyers up?

GLOW 04-02-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-spec (Post 7871894)
but on another note, possible new facepalm gif in the making ?

i thought it was a facepalm at first glance too :lawl:

CP.AR 04-02-2012 05:08 PM

I won't be surprised if it affects Vancouver...

ie: ASPAC Developmens (developers of River Green, Coal Harbour) is owned by these guys

ae101 04-02-2012 08:33 PM

here what i have been told, kwok brothers goes to look at properties then get another guy to buy it so that the other guy could jack the prices up & then sun hung kai buys it

after the other guy & kwok brothers split the money evenly

now this is private info but long time ago the big brother was kidnapped & after he was release the 2 other brothers pay a famous doctor to make a report that their big bro has psychological problems after the kidnapped, which their mother believe so he was then booted out of the chairman seat

after collecting evidence he now seeks revenge period

now i know this may sound like tv drama but this is how i was told from my aunt where her husband's brothers wife works for them (in hk & vancouver)

StylinRed 04-02-2012 08:59 PM

^^^ all of the companies especially family ones have their dirty laundry

but the timing of this case is perhaps too much of a coincidence no? with HuJintaos supporters cleaning house of all of Jiang guys

especially with this case occuring just 2 days after Hu's guy winning HK

yray 04-02-2012 09:19 PM

^Hu is leaving in 6 months anyway.

The big deal about this case is that a former financial minister is involved with this, basically the highest civil servant in HK history to be "charged" with corruption. They think the minister had relationships with SHK as he was given place to live near happy valley that's worth a 100mil hkd now, of which is owned by SHK. ICAC also suspect that internal files from the gov't may have been given to SHK.

ICAC has been tight lipped about this case, so far no new information has been released but apparently this was in the works for around a year. They delayed the arrest until after the election because they don't want the whole media to say ICAC is manipulating the election and all that communist BS.

ae101 04-02-2012 10:12 PM

im sure the it was perfectly timed by there big bro for his revenge