REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Vancouver's 12 new food carts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665815-vancouvers-12-new-food-carts.html)

Vansterdam 04-02-2012 07:46 PM

Vancouver's 12 new food carts

Photos: Vancouver's 12 new food carts

click for pics/name/location :sweetjesus:

On Monday the city put four of the new carts on display at City Hall, giving staff a chance to sample British, Indian, Italian and Salvadoran foods.

This year’s crop of new licences — which brings the total of approved stationary food carts in the city to 103 — include everything from French stews to Chinese, Thai and Japanese meals to seafood and even perogies. A single burger stand, The Burger Bus, made it through the judging process.

But not a single new wannabe hotdog stand was approved, or even made it into the short-list of 25 applicants. With nearly half of the city’s food carts already hotdog stands, the city has for the last two years made it clear it wanted to see more wholesome, nutritious food sold on its streets.

Mayor Gregor Robertson said the kind of culinary ingenuity approved Monday is helping Vancouver to become a destination for food-loving people with sophisticated tastes.

“We are really happy to see the international offerings. They are really reflective of the cultural diversity of our city that deserves to have great, nutritious food on our streets,” Robertson said.

And later this year, the park board also expects to cash in on the city’s new-found food cart industry with three pilots in Stanley Park, Vanier Park and at the Bloedel Conservatory. Last week the park board approved a one-year trial at the three locations, but has yet to select vendors.

Commissioner Trevor Loke said applicants in the recent city process will be eligible to apply for the new locations, so long as they’ve met with Vancouver Coastal Health Authority approval.

But unlike the city street cart program, which cost vendors a $1,000 license fee and a permit for foregone parking at metered spots they use, the park board wants real cash out of their new carts. They’re selling the Stanley Park spot for $15,000, the Bloedel Conservatory location for $10,000 and Vanier Park for $5,000.

“Vancouver Parks are getting a culinary makeover,” he said. The three pilot locations will be operational by June and the fees reflect the intense competition the park board expects, Loke said.

Robertson said the city expects to approve another 30 street food cart licenses over the next two years, after which it will re-examine the program. Each vendor has to meet health authority and city licensing regulations. So far only one of the foot carts approved since the city began moving to healthier food options in 2010 has failed.

The 12 vendors announced Monday had to go through a rigorous taste-testing program. The judges’ combined totals determined the location of each cart. Seven will be parked in metered parking spots; the rest are allowed to park on the sidewalk. Soho Road Naan Kebab, with its British Indian food, was the top pick. It will set up on Smithe Street near B.C. Supreme Court. Ze Bite, specializing in French stews and sandwiches, was the second pick and will set up at Cordova and Burrard streets. Pig on the Street was third in choice.

For Cothey and Seymour, Pig on the Street represents a new personal freedom in which they trade classrooms and other peoples’ kitchens for their own mobile business. Seymour has worked as a chef for 15 years. Cothey is giving up his English-as-a-second-language teaching position to help his wife. For the last two months they’ve been testing their food at the Vancouver and Coquitlam farmers’ markets. Their minibus with its pop-up tent is smaller than most of the big vans and trailers now standard as foot carts.

Cothey has to be careful not to crowd his wife as she’s working with the frying bacon, and every time he hands food to waiting customers he has to pop his head out the window. But he said this is their dream come true.

“To be your own boss, that’s everything I’ve ever dreamed of,” Cothey said.

The most popular item on their menu? “The Porker”, wrapped in a pork fat-infused flatbread.

“That’s also got pork sausage, caramelized onion and sage stuffing in it, along with double-smoked bacon and goat Gouda and caramelized onion mayo,” he said. For traditionalists, they have a “Pig LT” sandwich.

Read more: Vancouver's 12 new food carts 'reflective of city's cultural diversity'

Splmash 04-02-2012 08:55 PM

I would think small mom and pop shops would be more 'reflective of city's cultural diversity.' Only at those restaurants can you taste what people of different culture really eats (At least the closest representation of it).

These food carts are cute, but they all seem too fabricated. It's straight copying Portland's urban food/planning model. It says little about the culture of Vancouver, IMO.

That said, it's nothing against the food carts itself; I just think the title is wrong.

jello24 04-02-2012 09:47 PM

I'm still wondering what the hell happened to the three bakudanyaki/ramen/sushi food carts outside of Bridgeport station. They've been closed for a year now...

i actually loved their sushi cones... went every week after work...

Hot Karl 04-02-2012 10:05 PM

Italian subs. Dim sum. Thai. Japanese. Those carts interest me.

Mr.HappySilp 04-02-2012 11:22 PM

I want my Japadog. Man those hot dogs are something.

skyxx 04-02-2012 11:22 PM

Why is everything in a bun?.....

asahai69 04-02-2012 11:32 PM

these food carts are great................until it starts to rain....

westopher 04-02-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 7873311)
Why is everything in a bun?.....

Ever tried to eat a steak and potatoes walking down the street? Convenience food is better when convenient. When something is on a bun you essentially eat your plate and utensils.

TRDood 04-02-2012 11:45 PM

Need shrimp trucks like in Hawaii. Damn they are awesome.

http://madehealthier.com/images/2009...rimp-truck.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1331/...c085e74a6b.jpg

StylinRed 04-02-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splmash (Post 7873110)
I would think small mom and pop shops would be more 'reflective of city's cultural diversity.' Only at those restaurants can you taste what people of different culture really eats (At least the closest representation of it).

These food carts are cute, but they all seem too fabricated. It's straight copying Portland's urban food/planning model. It says little about the culture of Vancouver, IMO.

That said, it's nothing against the food carts itself; I just think the title is wrong.

they were talking about the process for these food cart owners to apply and my god they seemed to have made it impossibly difficult so its no surprise that the mom&pops aren't represented as i think the goal was to weed them out

we need some food carts like they have in California :sweetjesus:

BaoTurbo 04-03-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jello24 (Post 7873196)
I'm still wondering what the hell happened to the three bakudanyaki/ramen/sushi food carts outside of Bridgeport station. They've been closed for a year now...

i actually loved their sushi cones... went every week after work...

I want my huge takoyaki too!!!

drunkrussian 04-03-2012 01:35 PM

fyi kaboom box cart has been around for a while and just moved locations now, ti's not new. I highly recommend the poutine there...everything else not really my thing from that cart, but the poutine is very unique

Vansterdam 04-03-2012 02:19 PM

poutine and oyster po boy :sweetjesus:

Meowjin 04-03-2012 02:21 PM

food still sucks and is mostly reliant on frozen food with little focus on how good it tastes.

just a speculation. It's been a while since i've had food that was like "WOW"

tgill 04-03-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vansterdam (Post 7873002)
British foods.

:suspicious:

Anjew 04-03-2012 11:19 PM

vancouver food carts... what a joke... The owner of vij's is on the council and he voted in his own carts??? if that isnt a blatant conflict on interest, i dont know what is....

just setup a general area that is covered so people can come.... instead of spreading it all out. HK is so far ahead of the curve when it comes to this.....

dinamix 04-03-2012 11:33 PM

yup..foodcarts here are a joke..overprice imo..i remember paying $4 for 5 fishballs back in the summer. fuckthat

GG 04-03-2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 7873310)
I want my Japadog. Man those hot dogs are something.

overrated + over priced hot dogs?

meh
:heckno:

Retrac 04-03-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRDood (Post 7873340)

Have you tried the shrimp 'shack' from Macky's? Waaaaay better in my opinion!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/IMG_0125.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/IMG_0124.jpg

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t...d/IMG_0117.jpg

Hehe 04-04-2012 06:47 AM

I want my Bulgogi Burrito!!! That's thing is like CRACK!! Once you try, you can't stop.

I remember when I sometimes can't sleep on friday night, I'd drive all the way down to Portland just to get my fix on that burrito. :fuckthatshit:

Korean Twist is the stand name if anyone is interested.

dangonay 04-04-2012 08:09 AM

I'm itching to try out the perogies.

kunoman1 04-04-2012 09:06 AM

Mmmmmm kabobs while walking...dangerous

Teh Doucher 04-04-2012 10:06 AM

wish we had good mexican food up here.. i feel like making a trip down to cali just so i can get some of that awesome mexican food from a "hole in the wall" type restaurant.

Verdasco 04-04-2012 10:43 AM

anyone tried the seafood poutine in downtown? i went there once but it was closed... at wednesday @ 1:30 pm -.-"

Vale46Rossi 04-04-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 7875139)
anyone tried the seafood poutine in downtown? i went there once but it was closed... at wednesday @ 1:30 pm -.-"

Saw it on Triple D's on food network... Always wanted to try it