REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Cancelling Credit Cards

Long story short, fucking TD bank signed me up for a Visa credit card without my approval. I called the customer service line immediately, and they said they can't cancel it. They said just don't activate it when it comes in the mail and call into the VISA centre cancel it

I read in the past if you sign up for too many credit cards and cancel them, it will affect your credit rating. People have been recommending you to just 'not use it'.

Questions is:
When the card does arrive in the mail, and I cancel it....will it affect my credit rating at all?

Advertisement
Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,340 Times in 841 Posts
Just don't activate it.... it doesn't seem like they signed you up, just are sending you an offer? You would need to sign and give approval to actually be signed up.
Jgresch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

don't call in to activate it, destroy the card and that's the end of it
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #4

They "pre-approval" me already, and I clearly told the teller I don't want it. Nor do I even have any income.

Yet, he went ahead and signed me up for it. Call the customer service line...and they verified with me a card has been indeed requested for. But they "can't" cancel it as its "too late" even though it was less than 15 minutes apart.

They are probably just hoping I'll use their card at the end
Old 04-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #5

Pre-approval doesn't mean yuo've signed up for it. It means you qualify.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
While it could affect credit rating, I highly doubt it'll affect it in any significant way without you actually using it and being in debt.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgresch View Post
Pre-approval doesn't mean yuo've signed up for it. It means you qualify.
This happened in branch. The teller told me I was pre-approval for it. I told him I don't want it...yet he still went ahead with it. Called the customer service line and they confirm a card was requested.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High View Post
This happened in branch. The teller told me I was pre-approval for it. I told him I don't want it...yet he still went ahead with it. Called the customer service line and they confirm a card was requested.
you should talk to their branch manager about that.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM   #9

I get told I'm pre approved for cards, overdraft etc. whenever I go into the bank. tTey're just hoping you sign up for it when you recieve it. When you get the card in the mail you won't be able to use it, you would need to activate it, as well as sign for it. When it comes just cut it up and throw it out. It won't affect anything.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
I don't get it

Even if you are pre-approved for the card, you would need to sign a form for a record that you indeed requested for the card. If you did not sign any form, i would advise you to speak to their branch manager like a fellow revscener suggested.
1.7El_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.7El_guy View Post
Even if you are pre-approved for the card, you would need to sign a form for a record that you indeed requested for the card. If you did not sign any form, i would advise you to speak to their branch manager like a fellow revscener suggested.
That's what I thought too....I didn't sign anything.
Yet, when I phoned in the customer service to confirm...they said yup, a credit card is already it's way in the mail.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #12
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
Well go tell the manager then.
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #13
wants to know why blow-up dolls always look so surprised

same thing happened to me at a BMO booth. they sent me TWO different cards when i specifically asked for them to send me INFORMATION ONLY, regarding these cards.

i did a credit check with equifax recently, and found that those 2 cards had sent a request for credit check on my record.

this was about 2 years ago though. i just called BMO and yelled at them for 15 minutes, then i cut up the cards.

credit checks do lower your scores slightly if i remember correctly..but in the long run, its not a really big deal.
iam_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I think you are overreacting to this. you were pre-approved which mean you qualified, like I was. you don't need any income and this doesn't cost you a dime at all. i think it's about time you build up your credit rating anyway. and no this doesn't affect your credit rating.

if you still don't want it, when it arrives in the mail (still deactivated), take it to your branch and tell them you don't want it near you at all costs because you think it's the devil.
Mining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #15
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iam_dan View Post
same thing happened to me at a BMO booth. they sent me TWO different cards when i specifically asked for them to send me INFORMATION ONLY, regarding these cards.

i did a credit check with equifax recently, and found that those 2 cards had sent a request for credit check on my record.

this was about 2 years ago though. i just called BMO and yelled at them for 15 minutes, then i cut up the cards.

credit checks do lower your scores slightly if i remember correctly..but in the long run, its not a really big deal.
I have talked with a RBC credit person, she said on average people get 4 or 5 credit check per year. As long as you are there or below that amount then it wont affect your credit rating
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Yourself checking for CS won't impact the score, but if a Financial did one, your score will hurt if its done too frequent.

That being said, once a financial institute "checks" your CS, you have 28 days to have multiple Financial Institute to check your CS wihtout negatively impacting your CS as it is considered "shopping for credit" and it's a normal practice for a typical consumer.

I will personally not worry about your CS getting hit, but more concerned that CSR went ahead and order cards without your approval, that's borderline fraud.
wouwou is offline   Reply With Quote