REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Canadian tax dollars hard at work

Harper government monitoring online chats about politics - News1130
OTTAWA (NEWS1130) - The Harper government has been monitoring political messages online, and even correcting what it considers misinformation. One local expert says the government is taking things too far.

Under the pilot program the Harper government paid a media company $75,000 to monitor and respond to online postings about the east coast seal hunt.

UBC Computer Science professor and President of the BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association, Richard Rosenberg, says it seems unnecessary for the government to be going this far. "The government has a lot of power, that it feels the need to monitor public bulletin boards, or places where people express views and then to respond to that, seems to me going beyond a reasonable action the government should be taking."

Rosenberg says knowing that the government is monitoring certain topics online could result in people being more careful with their identities when they're posting about political issues on the internet.

He says it's the first time he's heard of this happening in Canada.
Advertisement
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
maybe we have government hired people lurking on RS
Old 04-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
the seal hunt is a pretty important industry.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
maybe we have government hired people lurking on RS
i'm sure there's gov't employees on RS while at work...just not hired to do so...

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
The government has no place responding to posts on forums, any response from the government on an issue should be done through official channels, not a username.

It's hardly surprising that the Harper government would do this however, it's a mirroring of well established U.S. strategies.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
someone say seal hunt?

fucking paranoid gov't programs.....

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
I have no problems with this as long as the hired "agents" are speaking the truth and not manipulating the situation. I could care less if they identified themselves or not, as long as they were speaking the truth.

There is nothing wrong with getting the correct information out there.
I mean after the whole HST bullshit, I welcome the govt. advocating the truth.

Times are changing and it seems far more economical/efficient to start getting information out there in forums.

And I think because they hired an agency, they don't have to identify themselves as a government body because they are simply a group of people posting information online. It isn't an official government response. I agree, this is a little sneaky, but isn't a BIG deal imo.

TLDR; I'm fine with it as long as the information posted isn't manipulative.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
No one cares about the seal hunt itself. Everyone cares that it is the only thing in a desolate part of the country to do that they can earn money.

I've got to say that I'm starting to get disappointed with the federal conservatives. I really hoped that they would focus on more fiscal conservative monetary policy for which I voted for, but much like the republicans in the states, they seem to be more about paranoia and manipulation of the facts to fit their agenda.

Well, now I know.

Honestly, still better than the liberals or NDP. A good press can keep them in line. Can't do much about the NDP handing large swaths of cash over to any poor person looking for a handout.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote