REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Anyone know a good locksmith? Need a new car key

Hey, so I lost my OEM mazda key and don't have a good copy that I can use to make a new one (my spare sucks). Anyone know a good locksmith that can cut an OEM quality key from the Mazda keycode?

Thanks...
Advertisement

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-04-2012, 07:14 AM   #2
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I just went back to Nissan and they cut me a new Nissan key using my heavily worn out key. I'm sure Mazda could do the same.

The Nissan techs had a hand held pliers like tool to cut the key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
If there's no chip then even sears can do it
Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #4

Yeah, not really interested in going to the dealer or to Sears. I want a quality key, lol. I don't want my nice Eunos blank to go to waste.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon View Post
Hey, so I lost my OEM mazda key and don't have a good copy that I can use to make a new one (my spare sucks). Anyone know a good locksmith that can cut an OEM quality key from the Mazda keycode?

Thanks...
Quote:
Yeah, not really interested in going to the dealer or to Sears. I want a quality key, lol. I don't want my nice Eunos blank to go to waste.
And what difference would a locksmith make vs going to the dealer?
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
RS controls my life!

what do you mean by quality? the strength of the steel/metal? the looks of the handle on the key?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
Hyde's Understudy

buy a chunk of gold and have them cut the key out of it at a jewelers if you wants quality
Old 04-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

with the original key code, usually you are stuck with the dealer doing it as they know what wafers corespond to that code - otherwise call a couple and see if they can do it first
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #9
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZRoadster View Post
buy a chunk of gold and have them cut the key out of it at a jewelers if you wants quality
Lol. Gold would break so easily...

I've also never had an issue with having keys cut at places like Canadian Tire. The blanks they use are just as strong as OE.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

OEM quality meaning OEM. Original Equipment. Not a dealer replica. Just because a dealer does it, does not make it the same as OEM. I've had too many shitty keys cut over the years that jam/half work and I want a key that slides in like butter and works like it should every time. Just like my original OEM key did. How hard is this to understand?

I guess this is what I get for asking a legitimate question on revscene....

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I went here when my S13's Key broke in the door.
West Coast Mobile Locksmiths Ltd. « West Coast Mobile Locksmiths

There should be a key code in your glove box.

All new keys that aren't OEM take a bit of "breaking in" I did a few passes through mine with some 400 grit just to de-burr it a bit more, and it slid in like butter.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
If the key works the first time, it should work the 1000th time u stick it in.
I don't see y it would get stuck half way or get jammed inside unless it's damaged in some way.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
OEM quality meaning OEM. Original Equipment. Not a dealer replica. Just because a dealer does it, does not make it the same as OEM. I've had too many shitty keys cut over the years that jam/half work and I want a key that slides in like butter and works like it should every time. Just like my original OEM key did. How hard is this to understand?

I went to Nissan and they cut me an OEM key but not with the traditional grinder type key cutter.
They put the blank key at one end. Turned the dials to what they felt was my key code based on what my worn out key looked like, squeezed on the grips and voila, I had an OEM key.

Did the same thing at Honda except they had to do a few other steps since there is a chip inside the OEM S2000 key's.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #14
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:

Everybody's taking their time out to try and help you out.

Btw, why isn't this in the Mazda Tech Forum? You're so fascinated with categorizing your posts into the proper place, why don't you move your thread there.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
I love this shit. Forums man.

You ask a question.

We ask you some follow up questions.

Answer delivered.

:noob:

"fuck you guyz, It needs to be this this and this with the square root of this. Times pi. Don't you know anything?

Serves me right for asking a question here"

So really, you are pissed off that we didn't give you the answer that you already had?

So here's my answer. I don't give a fuck about your key. I'm going to fail you, and then put a smiley face of a monkey jacking off. It's more entertaining than your stupid problem.

Told you I would.

Last edited by Gridlock; 04-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Everybody's taking their time out to try and help you out.

Btw, why isn't this in the Mazda Tech Forum? You're so fascinated with categorizing your posts into the proper place, why don't you move your thread there.
Because it wasn't a Mazda question per-say. I asked for a locksmith not a Mazda dealer. I did finally get the answer I was looking form SpuGen so I can call this thread a partial success.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
I went here when my S13's Key broke in the door.
West Coast Mobile Locksmiths Ltd. « West Coast Mobile Locksmiths
These guys are extremely expensive. I personally do not recommend them. They justify their price because the owner was once the president of the British Columbia Association of Professional Locksmiths.

If you have an opportunity, visit Broadway Locksmith - 335 West Broadway Vancouver, BC V5Y 1P8.

falcon - I expected a higher level of intellect from you but you failed with this thread.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #18
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
I don't think a locksmith will be able to cut you a key using a keycode. You have to go to a dealer for that. We cut keys at our gas station and we can't do that.
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
These guys are extremely expensive. I personally do not recommend them. They justify their price because the owner was once the president of the British Columbia Association of Professional Locksmiths.

If you have an opportunity, visit Broadway Locksmith - 335 West Broadway Vancouver, BC V5Y 1P8.

falcon - I expected a higher level of intellect from you but you failed with this thread.
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

As for this thread... it went south because people didn't properly read what I originally asked for and assumed I didn't know what I was looking for. Anyways, problem will be solved shortly.

Old 04-04-2012, 05:38 PM   #20
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I've also never had an issue with having keys cut at places like Canadian Tire. The blanks they use are just as strong as OE.
sorry to disagree with you, but NOT true... OE blanks are MUCH higher quality, and much stronger and a bit thicker than crappy ilco/jet/curtis blanks... aftermarket blanks wear and are fairly soft... OE blanks are a lot sturdier... you can hear the difference when you cut it... most automatic key cutters strain when cutting OE blanks...

OP: what kind of car??

if it's not a transponder key, i should be able to cut it if you get me a key code and a proper blank... my key cutter is a CNC for keys... punch key code in, insert key blank, get perfectly cut key out...

ps... NEVER trace cut any keys... you're basically cutting all the wear into the new key already, and it's prone to failure...
fng@regencyauto.com

Last edited by narfy; 04-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
Circle Stick Square Mod

okay, go to Mazda, ask for your key code, they should be able to provide one for you aslong as you show your registration and license.

then you go to a locksmith with the code and get him to cut it for you. Locksmiths should be able to cut a key by code.

ive done this with hyundai before. if your key is immobilizer key then they will most likely need to program it for you.

91 240sx (Sold)
86 FC3S (Sold)
99 Civic

Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #22
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,979 Times in 262 Posts
I got two replacement Lexus keys from eBay, faster cheaper and worked great.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

So what year & what model of mazda do you have? Are you the first & only owner of this vehicle or u bought it used?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:26 PM   #24

I'm pretty sure OP has a modded miata and has a JDM Eunos blank key. His OEM key was lost and all he has left is a worn out key.
OP wants someone to properly cut his blank so that it is OEM like.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 04-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #25
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

U can go to a Mazda dealership & the key code that they gave u probably won't work on your vehicle anymore especially if u bought your car used. Because there's a pretty big chance that the car got vandalized/previous owner lost the keys before so door lock cylinder & or the igniton lock's been re-coded to some other combination already...

I would suggest OP to go to a locksmith, (there's one that's right by North side of Clark & Powell, another one behind London Drugs around Kingsway & Nelson etc that I know of) and ask IF it's worth the time to re-code the worn out door locks, trunk lock & ignition lock that you got from your older car & make new coded keys according to that new code. And check & see if there's some mechanic friend who can remove all the locks for u to get send out to these lock smith to get the re-code work done.

Re-code/re&re do take a bit of time & money, but I would assume that's still gonna end up cheaper than buying new lock cylinders(at least doesn't sound like your keys needs to be programmed)....
Closed Thread