REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Allegiant Air Charging for Carry-on baggage (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665965-allegiant-air-charging-carry-baggage.html)

UFO 04-04-2012 04:12 PM

Allegiant Air Charging for Carry-on baggage

Bargain-hunting B.C. travellers hit with carry-on fee | CTV British Columbia

Heard about this on the news yesterday. Pretty ridiculous IMO. If they need to generate more revenue per flight, then increase the airfare price. Silly to hide fair increases and call them baggage surcharges. Essentially they are forcing passengers to pay for baggage one way or another, just makes them seem really cheap.

The cost is $35 if not declared online when ordering tickets, and ~$15 depending on destination if you declare it while ordering. Charging for checked baggage I can handle as passengers still have the option of packing a lighter load with a reasonable carry on baggage. Now you are only allowed whatever can fit under the seat...

Last few times I've flown within the US the carry on baggage compartments are always filled to the max as all airlines charge for checked baggage domestically. Airlines can do a better job of enforcing carry on luggage size and weight restrictions and charge appropriately that way.

Will this stop me from flying out of Bellingham or Seattle? Probably not just not as good a deal anymore :(

Presto 04-04-2012 04:17 PM

What if I just wear a vest with lots of pockets, and jam my shit in there? It ain't a carry-on if i'm wearing it!

twitchyzero 04-04-2012 04:19 PM

^ they'll just think you are wired to a bomb :troll:

drunkrussian 04-04-2012 05:29 PM

lame yes but overall i believe its still cheaper to fly to vegas with allegiant when they have a deal. i would still fly with them

Liquid_o2 04-04-2012 06:16 PM

I've flown Allegiant in the past, wouldn't anymore though. Worth the extra few $$ to fly with Westjet instead.

LP700-4 04-04-2012 06:58 PM

They fucking broke my luggage and just basically said "fuck you we're not covering it."

Fuck them. :fuckthatshit:

winson604 04-04-2012 07:01 PM

I've flown with them once before and it was a decent experience but personally unless it was a killer deal I wouldn't fly with them in the future. If a flight out of Van to Vegas is say $400 and a flight out of Bellingham is $200 I would still fly out of Vancouver. The possible carry on + luggage fee + parking + border wait times + drive is not worth the savings for me at least.

UFO 04-04-2012 08:12 PM

I can't say I've had a bad experience with Allegiant, at least no worse than any other airlines I've been on.

Charging for carry ons can become a norm as outrageous as it sounds. Check-in baggage was also included at one point in time. So regardless of flying out of Vancouver or Bellingham, you may have to pay up if this catches momentum.

keifun 04-04-2012 08:33 PM

Went to vegas almost a year ago. Couldn't find that great of a deal from flying out of bellingham compared to Vancouver.

The difference was only ~$100 at the time. Totally not worth the drive/gas/parking and border wait heading down to Bellingham

Gh0stRider 04-04-2012 10:21 PM

went to vegas last summer with westjet. the savings for driving down, parking was not enough to use allegiant

VK79 04-04-2012 11:12 PM

Surcharge for carry on?

:accepted:

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/ScotVest.jpg

Carry-On Coat™ from SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Carry-On Coat with Hidden Pockets - The Ultimate Carry-On Coat for Travel

:fuckyea:

Harvey Specter 04-05-2012 12:53 AM

I'm going Vegas next week for a trade show so I decided to book a ticket on Allegiant for the first time back in Feb because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper plus the times worked better. Last month I receive an e-mail out of the blue and Allegiant decided to bump me up to a different flight because my flight got "cancelled". I cancelled my booking and the bastards had the nerve to take a $35 fee for no apparent reason which I finally got back when I e-mailed them and asked what the fee was for.

Like already mentioned in this thread, I found a ticket out of Vancouver which was only a $100 extra, I'd rather fly out from YVR instead of the hassle of low cost carriers like Allegiant.

melloman 04-05-2012 07:41 AM

This isn't that bad, I don't know if anybody remembers, but a conversation last night at dinner arose, and "Spring Airlines" in China was brought up.

Want a cheaper flight? How about you stand:

Standing Only Plane Seats: Chinese Spring Airline To Ask Regulator For Standing Only Passengers | Business | Sky News
The Airline Blog: Standing only flights on Spring Airlines?

Now that is both the people being cheap, and the company Spring Airlines being cheap.. because hey... they don't need to buy seats for the planes. :troll:

7seven 04-05-2012 07:55 AM

I guess I can understand why some people would want to fly Allegiant, save some money but to me it's really not worth it over a couple hundred dollars. Really the last thing you want to do after returning from Vegas is to deal with a long drive/ride, deal with land border crossing/customs, all you want to do is to pass out into your bed from all the Vegas debauchery, save yourself the hassle and just fly out of YVR, it is a vacation after all so no point in penny pinching, have fun.

stuff99 04-05-2012 08:07 AM

But that's like five lap dances!

JSS 04-05-2012 08:32 AM

as hung over as i usually am coming back from vegas or another party trip, i prefer spending the extra money flying straight into yvr and being home and in bed asap after landing.

murd0c 04-05-2012 08:49 AM

I booked a flight through Alligent for end of feb to Phoenix, $260 return is a pretty good deal and I can't say no.