REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #1
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Allegiant Air Charging for Carry-on baggage

Bargain-hunting B.C. travellers hit with carry-on fee | CTV British Columbia

Heard about this on the news yesterday. Pretty ridiculous IMO. If they need to generate more revenue per flight, then increase the airfare price. Silly to hide fair increases and call them baggage surcharges. Essentially they are forcing passengers to pay for baggage one way or another, just makes them seem really cheap.

The cost is $35 if not declared online when ordering tickets, and ~$15 depending on destination if you declare it while ordering. Charging for checked baggage I can handle as passengers still have the option of packing a lighter load with a reasonable carry on baggage. Now you are only allowed whatever can fit under the seat...

Last few times I've flown within the US the carry on baggage compartments are always filled to the max as all airlines charge for checked baggage domestically. Airlines can do a better job of enforcing carry on luggage size and weight restrictions and charge appropriately that way.

Will this stop me from flying out of Bellingham or Seattle? Probably not just not as good a deal anymore
Advertisement
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
What if I just wear a vest with lots of pockets, and jam my shit in there? It ain't a carry-on if i'm wearing it!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,802 Times in 3,898 Posts
^ they'll just think you are wired to a bomb
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

lame yes but overall i believe its still cheaper to fly to vegas with allegiant when they have a deal. i would still fly with them
drunkrussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

I've flown Allegiant in the past, wouldn't anymore though. Worth the extra few $$ to fly with Westjet instead.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
They fucking broke my luggage and just basically said "fuck you we're not covering it."

Fuck them.
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:01 PM   #7
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
I've flown with them once before and it was a decent experience but personally unless it was a killer deal I wouldn't fly with them in the future. If a flight out of Van to Vegas is say $400 and a flight out of Bellingham is $200 I would still fly out of Vancouver. The possible carry on + luggage fee + parking + border wait times + drive is not worth the savings for me at least.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I can't say I've had a bad experience with Allegiant, at least no worse than any other airlines I've been on.

Charging for carry ons can become a norm as outrageous as it sounds. Check-in baggage was also included at one point in time. So regardless of flying out of Vancouver or Bellingham, you may have to pay up if this catches momentum.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Went to vegas almost a year ago. Couldn't find that great of a deal from flying out of bellingham compared to Vancouver.

The difference was only ~$100 at the time. Totally not worth the drive/gas/parking and border wait heading down to Bellingham
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
went to vegas last summer with westjet. the savings for driving down, parking was not enough to use allegiant

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 PM   #11
I STILL don't get it

Surcharge for carry on?

Carry-On Coat™ from SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Carry-On Coat with Hidden Pockets - The Ultimate Carry-On Coat for Travel

VK79 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I'm going Vegas next week for a trade show so I decided to book a ticket on Allegiant for the first time back in Feb because it was a few hundred dollars cheaper plus the times worked better. Last month I receive an e-mail out of the blue and Allegiant decided to bump me up to a different flight because my flight got "cancelled". I cancelled my booking and the bastards had the nerve to take a $35 fee for no apparent reason which I finally got back when I e-mailed them and asked what the fee was for.

Like already mentioned in this thread, I found a ticket out of Vancouver which was only a $100 extra, I'd rather fly out from YVR instead of the hassle of low cost carriers like Allegiant.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #13

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
This isn't that bad, I don't know if anybody remembers, but a conversation last night at dinner arose, and "Spring Airlines" in China was brought up.

Want a cheaper flight? How about you stand:

Standing Only Plane Seats: Chinese Spring Airline To Ask Regulator For Standing Only Passengers | Business | Sky News
The Airline Blog: Standing only flights on Spring Airlines?

Now that is both the people being cheap, and the company Spring Airlines being cheap.. because hey... they don't need to buy seats for the planes.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I guess I can understand why some people would want to fly Allegiant, save some money but to me it's really not worth it over a couple hundred dollars. Really the last thing you want to do after returning from Vegas is to deal with a long drive/ride, deal with land border crossing/customs, all you want to do is to pass out into your bed from all the Vegas debauchery, save yourself the hassle and just fly out of YVR, it is a vacation after all so no point in penny pinching, have fun.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

But that's like five lap dances!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #16
JSS
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

as hung over as i usually am coming back from vegas or another party trip, i prefer spending the extra money flying straight into yvr and being home and in bed asap after landing.
JSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
I booked a flight through Alligent for end of feb to Phoenix, $260 return is a pretty good deal and I can't say no.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote