REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   '96 Camry Stall and Hissing Problem (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665998-96-camry-stall-hissing-problem.html)

hondak20 04-05-2012 12:07 AM

'96 Camry Stall and Hissing Problem

hey revscene, got a 96 camry 2.2L automatic with 110xxx km's on it. this is not my car but it stalled 4 times within the 2 days. it would come to a red light and stall. theres a lack of power and a hissing sound. the faster u drive, the louder the hiss is. what i plan to do is replace the distributor cap and rotor, wires, and plugs to start. if this helps, the CEL light is on for the pass 8 months (P0401) regarding the egr insufficient flow. also has a rattling catalytic converter which seems to have gotten worse. i thinking its the MAP sensor or TPS sensor. what do u guys think? i did some searching and got things like MAP. TPS, Distributor, even the torque converter. mixed answers but what your opinion? any help is greatly appreciated !

TIA

godwin 04-05-2012 02:47 AM

it sounds more likely some pipe is leaking more than sensors.

Prolowtone 04-05-2012 04:31 AM

no power, stalling and the hiss gets louder as you go faster... Massive vac leak (Check the little black hoses) *Just noticed other info.. so its reinforced by the EGR code

hondak20 04-05-2012 09:30 AM

damn, ill look into it and see whats happening. he said in the morning, its ok, but like 3-5 mins after, itd start stalling and losing power. thanks guys, ganna go take a look

narfy 04-05-2012 12:00 PM

find your vacuum leak first... sometimes, i take a can of brake clean, and while the engine is idling, shoot a bit of it near where i think it may be leaking from and listen for an RPM change... just be careful not to get this near your spark plug wires or distributor...

my guess is one of the vacuum hoses from the EGR vacuum switching valve to your EGR vacuum modulator is damaged or disconnected, causing your EGR valve to not open up. usually a fairly simple fix...

Phil@rise 04-05-2012 01:05 PM

Rattling cat. Hissing as you drive gets louder as you do so. No power and stalling. Start with a new cat you already know its fucked why avoid it. A plugged cat will lead to all the symptoms you describe and more.

hondak20 04-12-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil@rise (Post 7876417)
Rattling cat. Hissing as you drive gets louder as you do so. No power and stalling. Start with a new cat you already know its fucked why avoid it. A plugged cat will lead to all the symptoms you describe and more.

thanks for the input Phil. turns out it was the cat. it was plugged and the flex pipe was teared a little. now theres a clicking noise....BUT it runs fine now

Phil@rise 04-13-2012 10:47 AM

My pleasure bud