REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 04-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Wanted: claybar + polish + wax

Hye guys,

i want a basic claybar + polish + wax service done on a mazda 3. I notice that there is some hard stuff on the paint and it's not smooth. Could you recommend a place? I have $75 set a side for it - is that enough? I want this to last me for 1 yr at which point i will do it again.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

75 bux is pretty darn low.... For a wash/clay and polish. Shoot me a PM. We can work stn out.
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
RS controls my life!

looking for the same thing, preferred a guy who does his own side work . whats the usual price for this ?
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

^ group buy???

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 04-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #5
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
check pms
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Need to Seek Professional Help

To put this in perspective, we charge $175 for a wash, clay and wax. No polishing.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

^ as much as I want to come to you and LOVE the work you have posted - just can't afford it

Old 04-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Honestly, you get what you pay for.

For $75, I would not expect much for a clay, polish, and wax. To do a really good job, a lot of time is spent properly preparing your paint for the wax or sealant. I often wonder what guys are really doing when they are charging so little for so much work.

I've detailed several cars for friends in the past. Trust me, the amount of effort it takes for a wash, clay, proper polish, and wax isn't worth any detailer's time at that price. The work you want takes anywhere from 4-8 hours (maybe even more depending on the condition of your paint and the size of your vehicle).

Try doing it yourself and you will know what I mean. At $75, I would be cautioned as to who is working on my car and what they are really doing. Using glazes to cover swirls isn't exactly a polish. Just my 2 cents.

At the end of the day, price is what you pay and quality is what you get. I would also recommend Ken from Autowerkes. Great guy, full of knowledge, and a pleasure to deal with.
DC2GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #9

supply the food, beer for the day, and i'll teach you guys with my limited skillz for 75 bux...
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Old 04-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2GSR View Post
Honestly, you get what you pay for.

For $75, I would not expect much for a clay, polish, and wax. To do a really good job, a lot of time is spent properly preparing your paint for the wax or sealant. I often wonder what guys are really doing when they are charging so little for so much work.

I've detailed several cars for friends in the past. Trust me, the amount of effort it takes for a wash, clay, proper polish, and wax isn't worth any detailer's time at that price. The work you want takes anywhere from 4-8 hours (maybe even more depending on the condition of your paint and the size of your vehicle).

Try doing it yourself and you will know what I mean. At $75, I would be cautioned as to who is working on my car and what they are really doing. Using glazes to cover swirls isn't exactly a polish. Just my 2 cents.

At the end of the day, price is what you pay and quality is what you get. I would also recommend Ken from Autowerkes. Great guy, full of knowledge, and a pleasure to deal with.

could not agree more. it takes an entire day (or even more if you are going with a multi-stage polish) for a proper and thorough job. Hell, the supplies are not cheap either, not to mention the care that needs to go into cleaning your microfiber cloths and polishing pads after you are done the job as well.

I would rather save up a good amount of cash for a decent job OR buy materials myself and teach myself through youbtube, which is what i did.

as mentioned before, if someone is willing to do it for 75 dollars, i would be very skeptical about the quality of work AND products that they will be using.

"The value of life can be measured by how many times the soul has been deeply stirred"- Soichiro Honda
busdriverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

For $75, do the wash, clay and wax yourself and find someone who'll machine polish your car. Even then...

Truth is if you can scrounge up the money and find the time to learn and do it yourself, the machine, pads and products pretty much pay for itself after one detail.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #12
I STILL don't get it

The claybars themselves are going to run $20 or so, not to mention the lube and other cleaning, polishing, and waxing products. It took me around 6 hours to wash, clay, clean, and wax/seal my car the last time, partially because I was going over it inch by inch and also (trying) layering the wax. Anyone willing to do it for under $100 is either damn generous, or cutting corners that you don't want lol.

My suggestion: take some time to hit up google and youtube, drop by 911fanatic's store and get the stuff you need, and do it yourself and skip the polish, or otherwise save up for a proper job.

Oh, and I don't think anyone else has mentioned this but unless your car almost never leaves the garage, there's no wax or sealant that can last a full year. I'm looking at reapplying every 6 months at the latest, and that's with some of the most durable sealants.
LuHua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
$75? good luck.

when I did detailing on the side it was 80-120 for wash clay wax. If you want it swirl free, you might as well shell out whatever amount that Ken wants, because its honestly worth it.

I spent a good 8 hours restoring my girlfriends faded red car, and it wasnt even 100%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
takes me a whole day usually to wash/clay/wax my car and do the interior

Best bet is to buy the stuff and do it yourself.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I'm interested in a good detailer to remove my swirls on my black car.. the dealer washed when I brought it in even though I specifically asked not too.. and it returned all swirled up.

Any recommendations for the Vancouver area? I can do the wash, wax part, just need someone to help clay + polish, as I don't have any experience with a PC.
shollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #16
PM me for my nudes

its never a bad time to start.

its really not that hard, and with a pc all you need is patience and practice
Quote:
Quote:
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #17

what's the average learning curve to get decent with a PC for swirl removal on a black car?
Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #18
PM me for my nudes

if you already know how to wash and clay,

you could polish your car pretty well in like 10 hours for a first time.

grab a pc kit and power finish from ken, he might give you an intro on one of the cars in the shop.

safest bet is to practice on parents or an old beater one of your friends has.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 10:23 PM   #19

hm.... I've contemplated about going the DIY route but have been so busy these days, that I'm not sure I can spend a whole day + trial /error...

Hoping I can find a good trustworthy detailer locally. How many hours does a stage 1 cut /polish usually take for a pro? Will that remove all the dealer wash swirls/maring/scratches or will it need a stage 2? I can see swirls + holograms in the sun... and light scratches (can't feel with my finger nails but can see it against fluorescent light). Prior to the dealer wash... the paint was pretty much swirl free.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #20
PM me for my nudes

if you want it all gone, prepare to pay for it.

If you DD your car, and aren't LOADED, just find a nice filler glaze and forget about the swirls, and get it DETAILED once a year or so.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #21

Yea.. that's the thing I don't DD the car and am not loaded, so I was quite happy with just self washing/filler glaze for the last 3.5 yrs.. but now the dealer wash swirled/marred it up pretty good and I just want to restore it back to the way it was...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
if you want it all gone, prepare to pay for it.

If you DD your car, and aren't LOADED, just find a nice filler glaze and forget about the swirls, and get it DETAILED once a year or so.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
PM me for my nudes

shouldve gotten the dealer to pay for ken to detail it,
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #23
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shollos View Post
hm.... I've contemplated about going the DIY route but have been so busy these days, that I'm not sure I can spend a whole day + trial /error...

Hoping I can find a good trustworthy detailer locally. How many hours does a stage 1 cut /polish usually take for a pro? Will that remove all the dealer wash swirls/maring/scratches or will it need a stage 2? I can see swirls + holograms in the sun... and light scratches (can't feel with my finger nails but can see it against fluorescent light). Prior to the dealer wash... the paint was pretty much swirl free.
If it was swirl free before the wash then it should be pretty easy to fix - 1 pass with a light swirl remover will do the trick (Meg's 205 or Poorboy SSR1 for example). Using a PC makes it pretty brain dead easy to do. Read up on the tutorials that Autogeek puts on Youtube and you'll be fine.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM   #24

The PC is forgiving...the only down side is its SLOW....but for a rookie, SLOW is okay.
Pick up a green pad, and Mezerna Power Finish and prepare for half a day.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I had some tree snaps that got on my car from parking under the evil tree
and these guy got it out real good, and didn't charge me for the whole exterior package
just the wash and a little bit more for the claybar like per hour type charge

unique detailing +1
Unique Detailing
oaktree is offline   Reply With Quote