REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Euro Tech Resources (https://www.revscene.net/forums/euro-tech-resources_318/)
-   -   Dynod my bro's BMW 1997 e39 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666211-dynod-my-bros-bmw-1997-e39.html)

nestea69 04-09-2012 02:19 PM

Dynod my bro's BMW 1997 e39

so the car is 15 yrs old, 240k km.. has precisely 0 issues,and it costed 4000$,( it was grey when he got it,it also looked like crap, and the car wasnt even running since the clutch was non existent, so this car was a gamble, we had no ideea what was wrong with it until after we bought it)

its supposed to have 282hp and it got clocked at 303hp on the dyno, with no mods to the engine. If thats not a good example of German engineering, idk what is.
:toot:

lowside67 04-09-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestea69 (Post 7880413)
so the car is 15 yrs old, 240k km.. has precisely 0 issues,and it costed 4000$,( it was grey when he got it,it also looked like crap, and the car wasnt even running since the clutch was non existent, so this car was a gamble, we had no ideea what was wrong with it until after we bought it)

its supposed to have 282hp and it got clocked at 303hp on the dyno, with no mods to the engine. If thats not a good example of an incorrectly calibrated dyno, idk what is.
:toot:

Fixed that for you. Is that Miller's dyno?

Mark

nestea69 04-09-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7880418)

Mark

i did a lot of research before going to the dyno, and this one is the best vancouver has, unless you have a better one. The car also has the exact same 0-60 time as factory spec, these cars are well known for going over 300hp all over the world, so i wouldnt be too surprized.Thanks for the helpful addition though :)

320icar 04-09-2012 02:59 PM

wow! so adding m5 bumpers and decals with wrap really DOES add horsepower!

you sure you werent reading flywheel hp there buddy?

karies 04-09-2012 03:02 PM

where'd you dyno this car? also mods?

karies 04-09-2012 03:05 PM

also why is the fan blowing at the exhaust? shouldnt it be in the front of the car?

skylinergtr 04-09-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Mark

definitely not Miller's dyno.

Not sure what type of dyno this is, but Miller has a mustang dyno. A car like this will probably do somewhere around 260rwhp (give or take) if its in healthy shape.

You will have 300hp crank out of this motor with some software or bolt ons, maybe the drivetrain loss is already counted for in the claimed HP.

lowside67 04-09-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestea69 (Post 7880426)
i did a lot of research before going to the dyno, and this one is the best vancouver has, unless you have a better one. The car also has the exact same 0-60 time as factory spec, these cars are well known for going over 300hp all over the world, so i wouldnt be too surprized.Thanks for the helpful addition though :)

Actually... as a guy who has had three race cars, two of which had extensive custom dyno tuning done, I can tell you that there is no actually useful research that would help you determine which dyno is the best. Most race shops across the country would agree that there are positives and negatives to each type.

It is simply not industry standard to estimate flywheel hp for one good reason... it's impossible to measure flywheel hp without removing the engine from the car. The only way you can get to flywheel hp from measuring at the wheels is simply to estimate the percentage of driveline loss. By incorrectly estimating this as too low of a number, you end up with too high of a flywheel hp number which is precisely what happens at Miller.

If you were for real, you'd know that wheel hp is the only halfway reliable and repeatable number and even that is not an absolute thing since there are other adjustables that can affect those numbers.

Mark

skylinergtr 04-09-2012 03:16 PM

btw extra lulz for the m5 badge and fake quad exhaust.

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:19 PM

Wow, great car man. Its funny how people act over here over a m badge, you never see this shit in europe. About 80% of german cars in europe have a M or amg badge. Over here people act as if you shit in their food hahaha,gelousy i guess :p

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 7880454)
wow! so adding m5 bumpers and decals with wrap really DOES add horsepower!

you sure you werent reading flywheel hp there buddy?

The car has stock bumpers :)
And besides straight pipes and a KN filter it has no mods.

bbpping 04-09-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bnz4life (Post 7880482)
The car has stock bumpers :)
And besides straight pipes and a KN filter it has no mods.

LOLOLOL did you seriously just make a second account just to agree with yourself?

320icar 04-09-2012 03:23 PM

join date april 2012, 2 posts, only in this thread. did you make a fucking fake account just to agree and defend yourself?

http://www.gamersbin.com/attachments...a-gay-seal.jpg

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7880470)
Actually... as a guy who has had three race cars, two of which had extensive custom dyno tuning done, I can tell you that there is no actually useful research that would help you determine which dyno is the best. Most race shops across the country would agree that there are positives and negatives to each type.

It is simply not industry standard to estimate flywheel hp for one good reason... it's impossible to measure flywheel hp without removing the engine from the car. The only way you can get to flywheel hp from measuring at the wheels is simply to estimate the percentage of driveline loss. By incorrectly estimating this as too low of a number, you end up with too high of a flywheel hp number which is precisely what happens at Miller.

If you were for real, you'd know that wheel hp is the only halfway reliable and repeatable number and even that is not an absolute thing since there are other adjustables that can affect those numbers.

Mark

That may be true but i dont think too many of these cars are raced on a track LOL,

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbpping (Post 7880484)
LOLOLOL did you seriously just make a second account just to agree with yourself?

It says so in the description and the bumpers are clearly stock.

320icar 04-09-2012 03:28 PM

bnz4life maybe you're the brother that owns the weird baby blue with camo wheels e36?

nestea69 04-09-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Mark

Quote:

Originally Posted by skylinergtr (Post 7880478)
btw extra lulz for the m5 badge and fake quad exhaust.

yeah it looks great, i came up with the ideea for the fake exhaust since they estimated him 2,000$ for a real one, with exactly 0 performence difference besides an extra 50lb of tubes under the car haha.

bbpping 04-09-2012 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bnz4life (Post 7880494)
It says so in the description and the bumpers are clearly stock.

and you know it has straight pipes and an K/N filter how?

you aren't fooling anyone

nestea69 04-09-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 7880470)

Mark

i dont know all the technicalities, im no scientist or a racer and everyone is entitled to their opinion bro, im just saying what it says on the piece of paper. :hotbaby:

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbpping (Post 7880499)
and you know it has straight pipes and an K/N filter how?

you aren't fooling anyone

go in the description, read it, then come back here, then say it doesnt say that in the video description.

MindBomber 04-09-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestea69 (Post 7880503)
i dont know all the technicalities, im no scientist or a racer and everyone is entitled to their opinion bro, im just saying what it says on the piece of paper. :hotbaby:

Where did you have the car dyno'd?

Bnz4life 04-09-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nestea69 (Post 7880498)
yeah it looks great, i came up with the ideea for the fake exhaust since they estimated him 2,000$ for a real one, with exactly 0 performence difference besides an extra 50lb of tubes under the car haha.

maybe you should lift the original exhaust so its not that visible under the car.. you can still kind of see it.

skylinergtr 04-09-2012 03:38 PM

pics of dyno report?

nestea69 04-09-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindBomber (Post 7880511)
Where did you have the car dyno'd?

I think it was Mopac auto sports, the place looked pretty professional.

lowside67 04-09-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bnz4life (Post 7880490)
That may be true but i dont think too many of these cars are raced on a track LOL,

http://www.nwbmwclub.com/pictures/ju...x/IMG_6222.JPG
Brecus Motorsport E39 M5 ST Race Car - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

This one is only as far away as Seattle... of course it's a real M5... ;)

Mark