REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Dislocated Shoulder

The other day I was playing Ice Hockey, I caught a bad edge fell and landed palm first trying to prevent me from falling hard on my ass. This resulted in my shoulder dislocating. I managed to easily pop it back in within a few seconds. It didnt hurt moving it for a few minutes then after about 5 minutes it began to hurt a little bit. Today for example when I move my right arm to reach across to my left it gives me a slight pain. I will be seeing a doctor today for sure, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing before and whether it is normal to feel pain after putting the shoulder back in. Im assuming right now to keep my mind at ease that it just hurts because theres some kind of swelling, tear, or something with the muscle in that area.

Thanks

toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
dlo
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once

Thanked 7,930 Times in 1,432 Posts
currently experiencing that too lol, ice it and hopefully your doctor pops it back in correct posture, i popped it back but my doctor didnt do shit, so i went to the ER and they correctly popped it, there will always be pain for a while but it will go away, swelling and bruising should be normal.
[08-12, 00:25] Iceman-19 the owner was someone i knew. trusted him. that blew up in my face like i was a 19 year old jap girl at a bukkake party.
dlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

I done this many times when I was playing hockey during every season I would at least pop shoulder twice a year and it would pop right back in right after. This required surgery to fix because time would not heal my rotator cuff tear. Took 6 months to fully heal 3 months in a sling pretty much being a useless vegetable then another 3 months for rehab tgo strengthen my shoulder.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,538 Times in 495 Posts
I've done it as well. Hopefully there isnt much damage done to your rotator cuff. I tore my infraspinatus, had surgery and it has still never been the same.
cdizzle_996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

aw man...this sounds bad. its the first time this has happened to me...
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

better start researching rotator cuff exercises to do at the gym to strengthen it up again
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsCRAY View Post
The other day I was playing Ice Hockey, I caught a bad edge fell and landed palm first trying to prevent me from falling hard on my ass. This resulted in my shoulder dislocating. I managed to easily pop it back in within a few seconds. It didnt hurt moving it for a few minutes then after about 5 minutes it began to hurt a little bit. Today for example when I move my right arm to reach across to my left it gives me a slight pain. I will be seeing a doctor today for sure, but I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of thing before and whether it is normal to feel pain after putting the shoulder back in. Im assuming right now to keep my mind at ease that it just hurts because theres some kind of swelling, tear, or something with the muscle in that area.

Thanks
Dont fuck around. Find a good sports physio and start rehab.

You're also going to be off sports for a bit. Dislocated shoulders are a fucking bitch.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Rotator cuff ... I lost 16 pounds due to not being able to work out heavy,
In course of 1 half year still not the same
outlaw44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #9
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

I've had 8 total dislocated shoulders (4 on each side) playing rugby. If there's one mistake I made, it's that the first time it happened (in grade 12), I didn't really know what it was because it popped back in and NOT seeing a physiotherapist. I'm still playing now, but I get my shoulders taped and even with surgery/physio, the strength of it won't be the same. I dislocated them twice this season (once in Oregon, thank god I didn't have to go to a hospital.)

It'll feel tender for 4-7 days, so just sling it, and ice it. I do have some exercises from my physio which I can scan and send you that you can do with a cable machine or rubber tubing, which is better (I bought mine from SFU Physio for $10). Just PM me.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
dlu
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I've dislocated my shoulder 8 times as well and just got on a waiting list for surgery to retighten my shoulder. If you were able to pop it in yourself, then it was probably only a partial dislocation, so it is not as serious as a full dislocation which you would definitely need someone to pop it back to place and you can see it out of the socket. It might happen again in the future now that you've done it once so be prepared for it and try to be more careful.

Persisting pain is very normal for this type of injury. Your shoulder just experienced traumatic stress so it will feel sore for a little while. I still feel soreness in my right shoulder daily, but it is manageable. The first time it happened, my shoulder was in a sling for around 3 weeks and I couldn't rotate my shoulders backwards for a little bit.
dlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:17 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
I've had chronic shoulder problems most of my life. I was 14 when I first dislocated my shoulder. It was out for several hours before it was put back in. (fucking busy edmonton hospitals) After that it was game over. It would come out almost every time I fell snowboarding, came out in my sleep, playing hockey. It almost made it to the point that it was coming out once a week. I ended up dislocating my other shoulder in another big snowboard crash and the process basically repeated itself. Surgery was obviously the only answer doctors had given me, but after constant physio, its really sorted it self out. Get to a physiotherapist and get on it as soon as they give you the word. The pain of the full dislocations for me was about 2.5-3 weeks every time, and when it was just a quick pop in and out it only lasted a couple days. I'm 27 now and have some pretty serious arthritis in my left shoulder, but thanks to physio i haven't fully popped it out in a couple years. Definitely get some good doctors advice about this, because if it isn't treated properly, you are in for a shitty road ahead of recurring injuries.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Dislocated my shoulder 4 times one year. Did physio by the 2nd time, dislocated 2 more times after finishing physio (clearly didnt' help). Had surgery to tighten up my labrum(?). Did more physio so my range of motion and strength was up to date. Shoulder hasn't dislocated in 3 years!!

Was worried that when you popped your shoulder back in, you might've pinched a nerve...but let's hope you didn't. Do some physio, strengthen your shoulder up, and don't play sports for a bit. Let your shoulder heal up.
Cr33pUh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

If it dislocates several times, get a shoulder arthogram and MRI done to check for a torn labrum.
raysquared is offline   Reply With Quote