REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Texas Expands 80 MPH Speed Limit (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666267-texas-expands-80-mph-speed-limit.html)

sebberry 04-10-2012 01:52 PM

Texas Expands 80 MPH Speed Limit

Quote:

Roads nationwide are getting faster. States around the country have been experiencing record low fatality rates, despite posting speed limits, in some cases 25 MPH faster than the Double Nickel limit imposed in 1975. That has encouraged jurisdictions to continue boosting the legal maximum.

Currently, the top speed crown belongs to Texas and Utah, each of which post 80 MPH on select highways. The Lone Star State adopted the top limit in 2008, but only on rural sections of Interstates 10 and 20. Last week, the Texas Transportation Commission decided that speed studies justified raising the limits on fifty-six miles of the State Highway 45 and State Highway 130 toll roads near Austin.

[...]

Texas Expands 80 MPH Speed Limit

But.. but.. I thought speed kills?

zulutango 04-10-2012 03:32 PM

Nope....just the sudden stop at the end :smug:

BTW, you are probably too young to remember but Interstate speed limits in the US used to be 75-80 mph back in the 1960s. The used to drop by 10 mph after dark.

sebberry 04-10-2012 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7881568)

That can happen at any speed, and isn't usually caused by speed alone.

Quote:

BTW, you are probably too young to remember but Interstate speed limits in the US used to be 75-80 mph back in the 1960s. The used to drop by 10 mph after dark.

Nope, but I do know that the fatality rate nearly doubled in Montana when the "Reasonable and prudent" speed limit was replaced with a fixed limit.

geeknerd 04-10-2012 09:28 PM

the difference in speed amongst drivers kill.

sebberry 04-10-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 7882051)
the difference in speed amongst drivers kill.

Setting reasonable limits would see a higher percentage of drivers complying with those limits and would reduce the speed differentials between drivers.

Enforcing laws such as keeping right except to pass, using turn signals and following too closely would go a long way to reduce interactions between vehicles.

geeknerd 04-10-2012 11:18 PM

yep but keeping right except to pass is one law i dont really agree with.

if im going the max speed limit on the left, why should i keep right with someone who might be going less than the speed limit. theoretically, if everyone was going at the speed limit, they still need to keep right and let the left lane be completely open and unused.

kinda related but i love the style of driving in asia because its every man for themselves. so although turning on a signal wont make someone yield, if i just slowly let the car slide in, the car behind is forced to stop. its not considered 'bad' driving cuz everyone does it and its accepted and everyone is more aware to watch out for these things.

although this becomes a major problem when drivers from asia go to places like vancouver.

impactX 04-11-2012 12:34 AM

Looked at the forum preview and knew this thread was started by whom already...

How many years has it been since you have been whining about traffic laws on here? Now please just move to Texas already.

LP560 04-11-2012 06:36 AM

Speed limits were set when vehicles had drum brakes, solid axles, and manual steering, to think the speed limits on the roads today reflect the technology in modern vehicles is ridiculous. Time to re-evaluate the speed limits in the city and highways.

46_valentinor 04-11-2012 01:30 PM

^yea and also lacking abs, traction control, advance lighting technology, crumple zones, air bags and GOOD tires.

i really think the government needs to re-evaluate the speed limits.

geeknerd 04-11-2012 03:34 PM

too bad some people still drive those type of cars

gars 04-11-2012 03:51 PM

funny how modern cars are on the road these days, how quickly they can come to a stop - yet i still see tons of cars running red lights. Most people get in accidents because there are idiots on the road, not because of the ancient technology in their cars.

I, for one, don't support a speed limit of 130km/h, especially because we still don't have as big a commuter culture as Texans, and our gas isn't as cheap. Cars become significantly less fuel efficient going 130 compared to 110.

Excelsis 04-11-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

it was thought before going above 35 mph would disintegrate you :fuckthatshit:

Rich Sandor 04-12-2012 11:18 PM

the problem is that 99% of people, and it's probably more like 99.99% of people, do not have ANY idea what their car is, and ISN'T capable of doing, as far as extreme cornering and braking.

you can't have speed limits that cater to advanced drivers and high-tech vehicles, when the common denominator is still ALWAYS going to be the skill level of the average driver.

sebberry 04-13-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor (Post 7884778)
you can't have speed limits that cater to advanced drivers and high-tech vehicles, when the common denominator is still ALWAYS going to be the skill level of the average driver.

And when that average driver more often than not exceeds the posted speed limit, then perhaps the limits are too low.

zulutango 04-14-2012 06:31 AM

And when the average driver rolls stop signs and red lights then the stop signs and red lights should not be there? Ah Mom.....but everbody is doing it!!!!

sebberry 04-14-2012 09:21 AM

The consequences of driving through a red light are often much higher than the consequences of driving 100kph in an 80kph speed zone outside a municipality.

Many stop signs could quite safely be replaced with yield signs since yielding is effectively what the driver is doing anyway.

gars 04-14-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7886203)
Many stop signs could quite safely be replaced with yield signs since yielding is effectively what the driver is doing anyway.

I disagree. When drivers stop properly at a stop sign, it signals to other drivers that he/she is stopping properly. Many drivers roll right through stop signs and stop right before entering the intersection. When I see that, it scares the crap out of me, so I need to slow down and place the hand on the horn because I'm not sure if that car will actually stop properly, or will they turn right in front of me, etc.

sebberry 04-14-2012 04:19 PM

I said "many", not "all".

"Yield" still means give way to the right of way, which often requires a stop.

gars 04-14-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7886533)
I said "many", not "all".

"Yield" still means give way to the right of way, which often requires a stop.

But having cars stop right before entering the intersection is a lot scarier to see compared to having cars stop at a stop line a few meters back. As well, are you assuming there are zero pedestrians crossing at these intersections?

sebberry 04-14-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gars (Post 7886604)
As well, are you assuming there are zero pedestrians crossing at these intersections?

It's not hard to see if there are pedestrians attempting to cross. You don't have to stop before you can see them.

Graeme S 04-14-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebberry (Post 7886627)
It's not hard to see if there are pedestrians attempting to cross. You don't have to stop before you can see them.

Untrue.

With new safety regulations, my mom's mazda3 has RIDICULOUSLY thick A-pillars. When coming up to an intersection I'm constantly paranoid I'm going to run down someone's grandma. I have to slow and kind of rock fore and back (even when stopped) to make sure there's nobody crossing as I'm about to turn.

Santofu 04-14-2012 09:54 PM

Are they able to slow down enough when rush hour starts? Rear-ending somebody at 130km seems brutal...

sebberry 04-20-2012 04:26 PM

Listening to the scanner picking up a speed trap operation in the works and it really has solidified for me just how little about safety these traps really are.

These traffic guys seem to be itching to write tickets.

I especially love the parts where they can't get the vehicle descriptions accurate. Too bad the drivers don't have scanners.

texasnick 05-04-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeknerd (Post 7882204)
yep but keeping right except to pass is one law i dont really agree with.

if im going the max speed limit on the left, why should i keep right with someone who might be going less than the speed limit. theoretically, if everyone was going at the speed limit, they still need to keep right and let the left lane be completely open and unused.

This is the problem IMO with highway driving in North America.

If you're going the speed limit in the right lane and somebody in front of you is going below the speed limit, you pass them using the left lane and then get back into the right lane.

If you are in the left lane doing the same speed as the guy in the right, I don't care if you're going under, at or over the speed limit, stop speed matching the guy next to you and either fall in behind or in front of him so other people can get through.

It's not rocket science and it helps keep traffic flowing more smoothly, lets douches get through and away from you in traffic, helps keep everyone on the highway from getting frustrated and pulling crazy moves.

It makes ZERO sense to just sit in the left lane on a highway when you aren't passing someone.

Nlkko 05-04-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasnick (Post 7909083)
This is the problem IMO with highway driving in North America.

If you're going the speed limit in the right lane and somebody in front of you is going below the speed limit, you pass them using the left lane and then get back into the right lane.

If you are in the left lane doing the same speed as the guy in the right, I don't care if you're going under, at or over the speed limit, stop speed matching the guy next to you and either fall in behind or in front of him so other people can get through.

It's not rocket science and it helps keep traffic flowing more smoothly, lets douches get through and away from you in traffic, helps keep everyone on the highway from getting frustrated and pulling crazy moves.

It makes ZERO sense to just sit in the left lane on a highway when you aren't passing someone.

Simple concept but drivers' intelligence has decreased over time.